Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d: Can't pump water above sea level  (Read 3495 times)

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d: Can't pump water above sea level
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:33:57 pm »

I started a fortress by the ocean, tried to fill my water tower (which had a two-z-level cistern) with desalinated water, but it didn't fill above sea level. I couldn't find mention of this bug/feature here or on the bug list. I suspect it may be a feature to simplify rivers flowing into seas or something, but I thought I might as well check it out.

Side-on view:

Code: [Select]

sea      %%~    ╗
~~~~~~~~~█╗~~~~~╗
~~~~██████╗=====╗

------
~ = water
█ = rock
%% = pump
= = floor
╗ = wall

Once the lower level (which is at sea level) is full to 7/7, the water coming out of the pump will exist in the output tile before apparently vanishing into thin air. Making a cistern wholly above sea level (identical but for the incorporation of an additional pump) results in both levels being filled as normal. However, water falling from an above-sea-level reservoir through the z-level that is partially occupied by the surface of the ocean does not disappear. Perhaps it is necessary that the sea level tile has water in it.

Evaporation is not to blame, as my cistern is small and has a roof and the pump has an ample supply of water. The saved game is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1452
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:01:42 pm by zxcvmnb »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Can't pump water above sea level
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:04:31 pm »

About the diagram: was the pump actually placed there, or one tile to the left?

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:49:48 pm »

About the diagram: was the pump actually placed there, or one tile to the left?

Diagram corrected.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:58:41 pm »

There isn't any aquifer action going on here, is there?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:30:40 am »

No, there isn't. No aquifer on this level, and besides, the cistern is made from constructed walls and floors.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:00:11 pm »

I have uploaded the saved game here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1452

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 07:41:32 pm »

I tried out the save, that's really odd.

It's all walled and floored off and covered, I checked all the tiles, and they're all constructed.  The bottom area is full, and water appears on the top area, but it continues to fall down into the bottom area and disappear.  If I stop the pump, the bottom layer remains full, and if I breach the bottom layer, it all drains out until it's dry, so it's not acting like an aquifer.  If I then turn the pump on, it will refill the bottom layer like normal, but when it gets full, the water still keeps pouring down into it and disappearing.  If I floor off the second level, it'll fill up to full like normal, but if I make a hole in the floor, it'll all drain down, even though the area beneath it is full of water.  And I tried draining it into a new tank that I constructed with the same results.  It'll still pour down and fill areas beneath it, but it doesn't stop pouring down when the levels below it are full.

It's like it's not recognizing that the level below is full of water, and the water is still falling down anyway, and just disappearing if the level below is full.  It's also not transmitting any pressure like it normally would if it were resting on top of water on the level below, this doesn't happen with transitions between other levels as far as I can tell.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:30:17 pm »

There was once a bug where dumping water on the roof of an aquifer (even constructed floor) would drain as if you were dumping into the aquifer; I forget if it got fixed.  Is the level below the cistern floor an aquifer?

Otherwise it seems it's just being overzealous about absorbing excess water into the "sea" "floor".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:06:50 am »

^^^

No, there isn't. No aquifer on this level, and besides, the cistern is made from constructed walls and floors.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:14:34 am »

There was once a bug where dumping water on the roof of an aquifer (even constructed floor) would drain as if you were dumping into the aquifer; I forget if it got fixed.  Is the level below the cistern floor an aquifer?

Otherwise it seems it's just being overzealous about absorbing excess water into the "sea" "floor".

No, there is no aquifer on the level immediately below the bottom level of the cistern.

I suppose a comprimise has to be made between minor issues like this and FPS.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 02:19:26 am »

This is a bug i wrote about already long ago.

It seems that there's bug with all water in game.

Dropping water a z-level below makes some part of it disappear.

So don't mind that you can fill the same capacity with pumping water below.
Especially be careful when you're in the desert with only the underground pool.
Finis sanctificat media.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 03:23:04 am »

I have same issue.

Odd thing is that while you can not pump water above sea level, you can pump murky pool water as high as you can. Non-aquifier map here.