Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 133805 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
[DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« on: November 04, 2009, 02:26:29 am »

Yeah, do. I'm not moderating it. But I am scum here!

I personally am wondering how to make a game where you want to behave as scummily as possible- and being scummy is not a reason to lynch someone.

But feel free to talk about whate'er gametypes you want, discuss viability, playability, fun factor, and the like.

Anti-FoS on you all.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:28:25 am »

Idea-thief >_>

Do you mind if I start my own thread?  I was considering keeping a running tally of interesting game ideas at the top and such, and I think it'd need a moderator of some sort.  Plus, three interested people does not genius make.

Erm.  Hope that doesn't bother you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:30:03 am »

The secondpost is as good a place for a leaderboard as the first. *waves scepter*

Besides, you said I was better with words.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:09 am »

I personally am wondering how to make a game where you want to behave as scummily as possible- and being scummy is not a reason to lynch someone.

10jesters
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 02:41:36 am »

That's true, you're a lot better with saying things in ways that will make other people understand them.  *grumblegrumble*

Let's both try to function as mods of sorts, then?  I'll keep tallies of the ideas and stuff in the second post, and maybe you can make the top all official-ish.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:46:15 am »

15 player game. 2 cult leaders, 2 groups of 2 mafiosos. Everyone else is townies.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:59:36 am »

10jesters
If it's a closed setup, then it won't work. If it's an open setup...how the hell do you not deadlock?

"Systematically Make Others Win" = unworkable I think...
Tilesets

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 03:04:51 am »

Everyone is told there's a normal Mafia game going on. Secretly, everyone is a jester.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 05:41:55 am »

I prefer the 'everyone is Mafia except for a group of Masons who are in on it' idea that was posted in another thread. I think, if applied properly, that could be a supurb game.

Another idea is a puzzle-mafia i'm currently toying with, i don't want to spoil the details.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:47:00 am »

The above mentioned mason game could be interesting if there was also a "survivor" mason group :P.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 01:45:51 pm »

10jesters
If it's a closed setup, then it won't work. If it's an open setup...how the hell do you not deadlock?

"Systematically Make Others Win" = unworkable I think...

Systamatically Make Others Win or Lose could work, however. It'd probably be something like SMOL. but the players can vote to end the game (making everybody still alive "win), make a player "win", or make a player "lose". The catch is, one of the players is a Jester. That player has to "lose" to win. The rest of the players have to "win" to win.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 02:50:08 pm »

The 'mason acting as scum' game sounds good enough.

Myself, I prefer puzzles and games that fill up on crazy.  KWN was a riot in just how twisted everyone was in figuring it out.  In fact, it seems that 'figuring out game' is what makes people wake up the most.  Toon mafia always has that in spades as people wonder just how the game is set up 'this time'.  BYOR mafia has that as well. 

People just seem to like fighting the game as much as they do fighting each other.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 03:24:59 pm »

Yeah, I'm big on the puzzles, too.  I think we need more bastard mods that encourage us to try different strategies.  I also think that the BYOR mafias are a natural extension of the Weirdo/Ridiculous Mafia phenomenon, and in some way could be considered their "evolved form."

I personally really want more vanilla games, though that might just be me... studying others' behavior outside of power-role-bloom is fun and profitable.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 03:27:02 pm »

I have been drafting out plans for a super-bastard game where people apply by pms and aren't even told who's playing.

Yeah, it's bastard-ish.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 04:27:07 pm »

@Vector

Just need one more person to join Not So Beginner's Mafia 2 :P

@Leaf

I've heard of a game like that.  The host even encouraged outsiders to go in and post/vote as if they were playing to further hide everyone.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 108