Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Resolved][40d16] Dwarves Sparring with Crossbows  (Read 1097 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Resolved][40d16] Dwarves Sparring with Crossbows
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:45:16 pm »

From the search I just conducted this appears to be a bug, unless there is something rather obvious I've missed.

My crossbowdwarves are sparring in the barracks with their crossbows, gaining levels in Hammerdwarf as they go. This is occuring even with:

Enough free archery targets for all dwarves,
Enough bone bolts for practice,
Weapon settings for each of them set to 'Crossbow',
Squad lead by a Crossbowdwarf

A couple of them seem capable of doing the right thing. They have never sparred with their crossbows (evidenced by their lack of 'Hammerdwarf' skill).

But others simply ignore the targets, ignore the bolts (some are even CARRYING bone bolts with them as they spar!) and just refuse to do any crossbow training.

What's weird is that they all have successfully trained on the archery targets in the past. They all have 'Dabbling Marksdwarf' in their skills, and I saw them using it yesterday. Today, however, at least four of my seven crossbowdwarves prefer to club eachother over the head instead.

I've tried this in a squad, and in individual squads (i.e. squadless), and I've tried setting them to Unarmed until they drop their crossbows and then switching them back-- none of this helped. There are spare bone bolts available, there's no problems with the archery targets... I'm convinced this is a bug, basically.

They have no injuries.

Save file provided-- note that I use two minor mods: Molten Rocks (modifies rock temperatures) and Engravings (adds new preference/shape text). Also using Mayday's graphics set.

The only files modified are:
descriptor_shape_standard.txt
matgloss_stone_layer.txt
matgloss_stone_mineral.txt

I'll provide them along with the savefile.

Download here.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:20:34 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Dwarves Sparring with Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:48:11 pm »

A search in this forum for "crossbow spar" came up with a slew of similar reports:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8335.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8704.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21621.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26107.0 (newest, last October)

There's also this item in the bug list:
000528 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][equipment]   wrestlers with crossbows don't grab bolts but grab bolts once they become marksdwarves, an elite wrestler set as a marksdwarf also continued to spar after grabbing a crossbow

The common culprit is that they're still holding bits of clothing etc. that they grabbed as wrestlers and forgot to drop.  Check their hands and see if they're holding anything.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 06:05:48 pm »

Y'know, getting dwarves to drop the yanked-off items after the fight in which they are yanked ends would cut the amount of reports in this forum by half, I estimate. It causes so many problems it's not even funny any more. :\
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:43:36 pm »

Yeah, lots of people were harassing Toady about this one in the List thread, and it sounds like it'll be fixed in the next version:

Quote from: smjjames
Toady, Is the issue with wrestling that I just mentioned (the wrestled away items staying held) been fixed yet? Just out of curiosity.

Theoretically, yeah.  We'll get a series of practical checks when I get to tests for the injury rate on sparring.

He's since gotten to those tests, so I think I'll prod him for an update.

edit: never mind, he basically guaranteed it would get fixed, so not going to prod
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:50:03 pm by Footkerchief »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:06:13 pm »

I checked for them holding items they shouldn't be, and didn't see anything unusual.

Nope, you're right- the ones who are sparring are carrying extra bits of clothing in their hands. Sorry for that, I didn't notice it the first time I looked. :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:20:09 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.