Author Topic: fish  (Read 19373 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: fish
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 06:57:49 am »

but some of the stuff it pulls...... is uncanny to say the least
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:07:47 am »

Fishbait? Seriously?
Heh, to be honest, my first thought when I read your post was "Troll, everyone knows care are bloody dangerous" :p

But yeah, welcome to Dwarf Fortress, check out the wiki ;)
AND STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 04:09:09 pm »

Question, let’s say in this case one decides to find a creative way to drain these ponds, is there a way to get your dwarfs to take said carp/trap said carp/eat said carp?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 04:52:11 pm »

Just air drown them and I think they'll get butchered as normal.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 05:04:50 pm »

Idk about that.
Seems like every siege some poor animal gets killed and it just sits there and no job ever gets generated to butcher said animal (also occurs with other random animal deaths, ie dog dies wild animal and he does not get butchered (but i have seen this with cows and other animals).

(unless I am missing something and have to manually do this).
Also if this is true could I create a large fishing room, flood room, drain room, walk in, take all/butcher all fish/ connect room to river with flood gate, rinse and repeat?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 05:37:50 pm »

Think I found part of my problem dwarfs need to be able to collect refuse from outside (though I really would not like them to get all of it).  Though if I remember correctly I had a horse die in side and the dwarfs did nothing with it.  Also is there a way to modify my stock piles a bit better.  For instance I have special stock pile to accept corpses at my butcher shop.  Dead Invaders tend to end up here even though I cannot butcher them.  Is it possible to set this stock pile to only animals that can be butchered?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 05:55:28 pm »

Think I found part of my problem dwarfs need to be able to collect refuse from outside (though I really would not like them to get all of it).  Though if I remember correctly I had a horse die in side and the dwarfs did nothing with it.  Also is there a way to modify my stock piles a bit better.  For instance I have special stock pile to accept corpses at my butcher shop.  Dead Invaders tend to end up here even though I cannot butcher them.  Is it possible to set this stock pile to only animals that can be butchered?

Go into the stockpile's options (Q over the stockpile, then hit s), and turn off "goblins" from the "corpses" under "refuse".
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 06:14:09 pm »

Any thoughts on why the dead horse did not get butchered (the corpse was in doors).  (it may have been a pet (can dead pets be butchered?))

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 10:44:06 pm »

a Carp POND? har har. You don't have problems till you embark on the beach of a Carp OCEAN.

So many carp you could walk across the water, if they didn't eat your beard off.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:11 am »

a Carp POND? har har. You don't have problems till you embark on the beach of a Carp OCEAN.

So many carp you could walk across the water, if they didn't eat your beard off.
It isn't A pond. it is about 20 small ponds with barely enough space to walk between them.

just sent a unit of marksdwarves to clear it out pond by pond. Remember that scene in Aliens where the marines get massacred in the alien hive?

it wound up like that.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 09:18:22 am »

CARP'
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 09:35:24 am »

Any thoughts on why the dead horse did not get butchered (the corpse was in doors).  (it may have been a pet (can dead pets be butchered?))
Tame animals can't be butchered.  Tame animals that aren't pets can be slaughtered, but tame animals that die from any means other than being deliberately slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop can't be butchered.  Wild animals can be butchered, no matter how they die, so long as your dwarves can reach their corpse and place it on a refuse pile.  You may have to turn on the order for dwarves to gather refuse from outside and dig ramps so they can reach air-drowned carp, but they will butcher them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 10:39:43 am »

OMG I would love a map like this, sounds fun
It isn't A pond. it is about 20 small ponds with barely enough space to walk between them.

just sent a unit of marksdwarves to clear it out pond by pond. Remember that scene in Aliens where the marines get massacred in the alien hive?

it wound up like that.

You could build a large room, mine/channel over to the pond and drain each pond into the room and air drown the bloody carp

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 10:43:17 am »

Tame animals can't be butchered.  Tame animals that aren't pets can be slaughtered, but tame animals that die from any means other than being deliberately slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop can't be butchered.  Wild animals can be butchered, no matter how they die, so long as your dwarves can reach their corpse and place it on a refuse pile.  You may have to turn on the order for dwarves to gather refuse from outside and dig ramps so they can reach air-drowned carp, but they will butcher them.

Thanks that explains the problem perfectly

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 11:42:00 am »

CARP'

That can't be a carp, they're standing up and smiling.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: 1 [2] 3