Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 103127 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:13:10 pm »

So, the old thread is very much dead and out-dated.

Gather round folks, and I will enlighten you on the subject of a very fun game called Haven and Hearth. It's an isometric sandbox of a game. There are many different activities to pursue, and many communities to interact with. So, without further ado, I present some things to do.

1. Survive!
There are strong, nasty critters that are out to get you in the forest lands. Running from them is no easy feat, and staving them off even harder. Add to this the growling in your stomach and the fatigue you work yourself into, it won't be long before you collapse.

2. Build!
You know you can't endure another day on the run, beasts breathing down your neck, branches slapping into your face, blisters forming on your feet. You make some crude tools of stone and wood, and hunker in. Log the area to build a cabin, make a fence, and light a fire in the hearth. You're here to stay.

3. Expand!
You're still way too hungry. After finding some wild crops, you plow the earth to reap your crops, and with them your sustenance. With labor, your fields expand and your harvest grows exponentially. Soon your stocks are overflowing, and you need another cabin just to store away your produce.

4. Trade!
As you grow bigger and bigger, other people begin to find you. They've got goods you haven't heard of, and the foods you've been making are always a popular trade good. As you cut more and more deals, you get a knack at being a merchant, but you always have a favorite place you call home.

5. Declare your kingdom!
You and the comrades you've acquired expand and dominate a huge expanse of the wilds. Cement your power by officialy declaring yourself a village, and enter into the turbulent world-wide politics of H&H!

There's obviously a whole lot more than this to do! There's a complex fishing system, vast amounts of land to explore and claim, mines to prospect for and mine out, metalworking to do, goods to craft, things to build, maps to make and more. The Bay12 Community holds court as the Council of Bottleneck, named after our town on the last map. We have many towns in the council, each geared toward certain play styles, and trade flows between the towns letting everyone have access to every resource. If this got you interested, then check out http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/. The devs are very active on the forums and the community, minus certain people, are all very friendly. For anyone who plays already, please help me provide videos and screenshots if you can.

ALSO DO NOT EVER BUY SWIMMING OR TRY TO SWIM AT ALL. YOU ARE GUARENTEED DEATH. IF YOU EVEN CONSIDER IT, USE A HAMMER TO BEAT YOURSELF AND YOUR MONITOR.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:05:41 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth, 2.0!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:35:05 pm »

Is the thief dickery and general all-around crap involving politics settled?

That place has more trolls than the mythology it's based off of.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:36:11 pm »

Did they restart it? I will jump back on if they did. Its pointless if it has been going for anything more than 3 days.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:57:57 pm »

The only problem I have ever had with it is, it is pretty much impossible to start late. More than half of the land has been grabbed and industrialized by the end of the first week. I find it pointless from there on.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:12:59 am »

Reading through the announcements. Seems the developers still have a sense of humor. Their community is still whiny bastards.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:51:46 am »

Reading through the announcements. Seems the developers still have a sense of humor. Their community is still whiny bastards.

*clicks second link* ...blah.  Yeah.  You're right.  I don't think I'll be returning anytime soon, either.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:21:08 am »

the clicking...oh the horrible clicky grindy clickfestish grindsores clickityclickgrind click carpel tunnelly grind-a-click click/grind.

wore my mouse out on day 2. Then I did some AutoHotKey cheating because i like writing automation on grindy games and cheating, because its better than actually "playing" the game. Then when it works well enough I quit because I realize there is little substance left after the carrot on the stick is in my hands.
I got nothing

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:27:41 pm »

This game looks awesome. Registering now.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:53:33 pm »

The first thing you need to do is find yourself a suitably undisturbed spot, grind to boatmaking, craft a boat, and then sail away away away, regardless which direction (east might be a bad choice tho, I heard goons live there, and that's just bound to bring trouble), and only stop if there's no civilization in the victinity.

Or you join one of the Confederacy of Bottleneck settlements, even tho I have no clue where these actually are.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 04:08:15 pm »

I would but as soon as my character reaches the surface after the creation room the game freezes...

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:13:54 pm »

As errol said, are there any Bay12 settlements?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 04:18:41 pm »

As errol said, are there any Bay12 settlements?

Yes.

I used to play, and I actually really liked it. This computer is too slow to play anymore, though. (I think, I need to check and make sure).

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 04:39:12 pm »

Addressing concerns:
@Duke: The map is immensely large now, so as long as you stay away from the central of the map, and don't tread on Goons toes, you'll be safe from the theft and political shitstorms.

@Atomicwinter: The last map, yes. This map is already about 7 times larger, and it is harder to get a group to explore farther out, so if you don't mind striking out solo, you can have a several hour walk between you and the nearest person.

@Ductape: J&L have done alot of work to cut down on clicking, and every task has had its click number reduced by half, if not more so.

@Labs: There are about 7 Bay12 settlements, all abiding under a Constitution made by our forefathers. The villages have teleportation channels between them, and a decent community at each. I can't promise bustle and activity at each one, but everyone is overly kind and helpful, almost to a fault.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:19:29 am »

I quit the game last time i tried it because i couldnt even figure out how to fish.

MAYBE ITS DIFFERENT, MAYBE THE CONTROLS CAN BE FIGURED OUT IN ONES LIFETIME!

Tries

Blah.

Looks the same, feels the same, plays the same.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 04:12:12 am »

I love this game, but for some odd reason my computer can't log on.

I swear, my computer find new ways to piss me off every day.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:15:20 am by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 82