Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Modding Questions  (Read 1137 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd Modding Questions
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:35:33 pm »

First I have some odd modding questions (caution alcohol has been consumed tonight):

Is there a limit to the amount of items a reaction can make in a single product line? I seem to recall someone doing an all glass fort using a reaction for coal producing 999 coke and someone else having a 1000 aluminum bolt reaction (though they cautioned about weight and slow dwarves).

Is there a limit to the number of reagent or product lines that you can have in a reaction?

Assuming you manage to make water with a reaction (the container or lack there of is not an issue), how much water do you make? 1 bucket = 1/7 water = a stack of Water [10] Does Product:100:1 make 1 bucket or Water [1]? In other words how much space does 1000 water cover?

Is this the right syntax for water LIQUID_MISC:NO_SUBTYPE:WATER:NO_MATGLOSS?

What is the syntax for Magma (if it is even possible)? LIQUID_MISC:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:OBSIDIAN maybe?

If you made Magma in this way would it allow you to make magma forges?
Would you need to deconstruct the Smelter to get the water/magma out?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Modding Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »

First two (regarding limits), I don't know. If there is, it'd be one of those funny numbers that results from binary stuff. Like 255 or 65535. The latter sounds likely for the first one, the former sounds likely for the second one.

You can't make magma.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:13:33 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:19:49 am »

You can't make water, either.  The only valid tokens for LIQUID_MISC are the "pseudo-liquids," like LYE, MUD, VOMIT, SLIME, UNKNOWN_SUBSTANCE, etc.  Only substances which can form "puddles" and "coverings," but not true levels.

Also, magma isn't considered to be "liquid obsidian" in game, it's a unique substance.  It's basically just got a hack in it right now, hardcoded so that magma + water = whatever rock has the [LAVA] token, which is obsidian in vanilla.  If you feel like it, you can make magma harden into diamond, or native platinum, or anything.

And, sadly, ice "stone" melts into pseudo-liquid "puddles" as well.  Hm, come to think of it, that means that WATER may work, but would only generate a puddle, I'm not sure.  But in any case, WATER will make only a puddle at most, and producing ice stones (STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:WATER:NO_MATGLOSS, I think) will also be fruitless, since only natural ice wall tiles can be used to generate water.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:24:43 am by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:57 am »

Right so no Magma (didn't think so).

Huge numbers possible in reactions, for both the product and the number of components (something that you will likely never hit unless you actually tried and then you would probably encounter odd results).

So the Water may be possible but it might not make water (you can have two different stones that have identical stats, including displayed names, but different object names, but they aren't the same thing), sounds like Dwarven Science time.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:59:25 am »

Water's definitely a "will not," rather than a "may not."  Actually, now I'm not sure if water can even form "puddles."  I seem to remember seeing puddles when melting ice stones, but the wiki says ice stones will evaporate into nothing if they melt.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!