Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple Trading Guide  (Read 10673 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple Trading Guide
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:49:42 pm »

I wrote this up, anyone spot any errors or mistakes in it? :)

Some very basic instructions:
Spoiler: Basic Instructions (click to show/hide)

How to...

This one is actually kind of a spoiler...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:33:22 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Trading Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 02:06:33 am »

The guide seems pretty good, though I never was able to trade because I never survived long enough.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:59:10 am »

The new version should help with that somewhat, adventurers seem to start out tougher than they used to. You can practice sneaking, swimming (give yourself 2 ranks in Swimming to start with)  and throwing easily to raise your attributes as well, in both the old and new version.  And for my advice for finding treasure, remember you do not have to actually engage in combat for that.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing has never been so much fun!
    • View Profile
    • https://terencebennett.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:36 pm »

Brilliant advice thank you!  ;D

Just wondering what to do if the shopkeeper refuses to let you set a price either way? (I mean it only says "not trading currency" and I cannot use any of the other 'asdfghjkl' options). Does this mean I simply do not have enough goods and cash combined to offer?.

I am in a friendly town and had no problems with it on my last trade in the shop next door...

I was using the Trading section here:
http://magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Adventurer_mode

(I know it's a bit dated now but it still works the same doesn't it?).

Thanks again for the tips!

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:36:08 pm »

Another useful tip is, if you see something you want, pick it up.  It's not shoplifting until you exit the store with it.  Then when you're in the trade menu, shop-owned items that are in your possession will be a different color (magenta, I think).  It may be a little more of a hassle to look at the items outside of the trade interface, but at least that way you'll never accidentally pick up the wrong one after making a purchase, nor will you forget to take your item with you.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »

RevReese:

For the a-f,g,h-l options, those should work regardless of what you have selected, or even with nothing selected at all. When I trade, I set the currency before I select anything. Only when you press "t" to trade are values compared.

The only thing I can think of is if the shopkeeper has no currency at all in their money box. "l"ook will tell you if that is the case. You can't ask for currency they don't have, or offer currency you don't have. Try "h" for "Offer 1" instead if you have a unit of currency.  If that doesn't work, try adding items to sell one at a time and offering the trade each time. The shopkeepers seem to try to make a profit so you will have to add more items.

These instructions were written for the old version, but seem to work exactly as before.

Edit: I usually do "Complex trade" with the intent of keeping as little currency on me as possible, so my storekeepers rarely run out of money, and always have plenty of *<<*Stupid Cow Leather Bracelets*>>* :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:47:23 pm by Beeskee »

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 09:54:23 pm »

No matter what I do I cant buy things. I can sell just fine but when I go to buy something he says "add more goods" even though I have enough money on hand. I even tried using store credit but he just wont sell things.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:52 pm »

No matter what I do I cant buy things. I can sell just fine but when I go to buy something he says "add more goods" even though I have enough money on hand. I even tried using store credit but he just wont sell things.

Remember the number shown is weight not value.

Try the instructions under "Complex Transaction" above.

Select the item you want to buy, select a few trade goods or junk items to sell, press "a" to change the offer to "Asking for all your moneys" and then press "t" to trade. If the shopkeeper says "more goods", add another trade good and press "t" again. Remember to do that after adding every trade good until the offer text changes to the shopkeeper's "how about this?" line. If you have that civ's currency and it's enough to make up the difference, it will change from asking for money to offering money.

The new version may have introduced trading bugs. I haven't experienced them yet but we'll see, I just found a ton of loot. :)

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:49:36 pm »

The shopkeeper had plenty of cash, just he apparently didn't feel that my half dozen items of leather clothing were suitable for some low quality armour..  ;)

I'm guessing that's why he would not entertain the idea of offering coins as I simply did not have enough to offer (it stayed at " add more goods").

Also, I have *63 all together (I don't know how to do the money symbol) and it translates to a few gold, silver and copper coins.

Do we know what the exchange rate is?  and does it matter? I mean when it says *63 in total, how do we know how much it will cost in gold, silver, copper etc for each item, for future reference (though I imagine each shopkeeper is different..) and why give us a weight with no price?.

My apologies if I am needlessly confusing the issue, just trying to iron out the odd issues!  :)

...Before I set about screwing over every last shopkeeper in the land with my 'high quality' junk...[insert evil laugh here]  ;)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 03:37:31 pm »

I just encountered a shopkeeper in the new version who would not accept or offer currency. I think it's a bug in the new version, I didn't encounter this problem before.  For me, this was a food vendor. I had just purchased something from the shop next door.

None of the currency adjustment keys work with the broken vendors. Bartering still works though. On the broken traders, they offer their coin supply for bartering, hehe oops.

For currency, I think the values are copper = 1, silver = 5, gold = 10 or 15 or something. Civs don't take other civ's money, though you can offer foreign coins in trade.

I don't know why the price isn't shown. Appraisal is used in Fortress mode but there doesn't seem to be the same thing in Adventure mode.

Edit: As for them not accepting barters, certain items are considered very expensive, you may need over two dozen low-quality trade goods. Remember encrusted items are even MORE expensive but the encrusting adds nothing.  Unless you're trying for something special, avoid buying encrusted items.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 04:13:24 pm by Beeskee »

RevReese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:21:52 pm »

That could explain it! at least I now know how the bartering works which always confused me before!

I will check the bug tracker and see if it has been reported yet.

Thanks for the values, it just helps to get a feel for what things are worth and exactly how much I am carrying in coins! :D

I'm sure there is an "appraisal in adventure mode" thread somewhere!...

The armour I was trying to get was the lowest quality thing I could find (finely crafted I think) it wasn't encrusted or anything, which is why I was a bit surprised he wanted so much for it, oh well, c'est la vie!  :)