Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1059878 times)

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:23:54 am »

I know there was already a Little Questions thread (Hell, two of them) but they were both mostly about the previous version, and they're both buried under a multitude of DF2010 questions anyhow.
So I figured a fresh start might be good for this topic.

So ask all your questions that you think are undeserving of their own threads!

My first question is: Are godawful horrible caveins back in? Or is it still like before where one support can hold up the entire world?

And second: My dwarves don't seem to be able to gather pond water or drink from the nearby Brook like they could in the last version, which seems a bit like a glitch. Unless I really do need to figure out a new water source now. (Note: In a different embark, they weren't gathering from the nearby river either)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:53:14 pm by Lumbajak »

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:35:42 am »

1. No. Caves would probably a problem, unless some kind of proper physics were implemented as well.

2. I have no idea. Have you tried channeling out the brook? Maybe something about the brook "surface" has changed. If you divert it into your fortress and build a well, it works.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:41:08 am »

2. I have no idea. Have you tried channeling out the brook? Maybe something about the brook "surface" has changed. If you divert it into your fortress and build a well, it works.
Nope, nothing.

Murky Pools can't seem to be made into water sources either.

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 11:49:53 am »

Nope, nothing.

Murky Pools can't seem to be made into water sources either.

I thought I was having this problem, but after being thirsty for a very long time, the dwarves finally gave in and dashed to the nearest murky pool.  Are they actually dying from thirst?

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:31 am »

Well, no, I think they do the same thing eventually.

But I'm trying to irrigate some land underground for a farm and it keeps saying "Urist McWater cancels task Fill Pond: No Water Source"

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:55:06 pm »

Question: Is there any way to stop my dwarfs from dehydrating and starving while mining/performing other time-consuming tasks? It seems as if finishing the job takes highest priority now, even higher than the personal health of the dwarf itself!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:02:13 pm »

How do I get my military dwarves to start working again? I've disbanded the squad: They all say No Job, and they aren't counted as idlers. I set them to fish, they still say No Job.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:04:38 pm »

On closer inspection, no actually, they are not drinking from rivers/brooks/pools whatsoever, they're just sitting around and dying of thirst.

I'm assuming this is a big fat bug.

Galf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:30:58 pm »

I need all my dwarves inside but I can't do that because the option isn't there anymore... how do I force all of the inside?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:38:21 pm »

I need all my dwarves inside but I can't do that because the option isn't there anymore... how do I force all of the inside?

Hit W to make a burrow, then set an area where your dwarves will be safe. Then under the military screen either go to "active/training" or make a new alert. Then at the far right select the burrow you made. Now, whenever there's trouble go into the military menu and select the alert and your civilian dwarves should now only go to the burrow you just made.

Galf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:46:14 pm »

Hit W to make a burrow, then set an area where your dwarves will be safe. Then under the military screen either go to "active/training" or make a new alert. Then at the far right select the burrow you made. Now, whenever there's trouble go into the military menu and select the alert and your civilian dwarves should now only go to the burrow you just made.

woah, I can plan an "evacuation zone"? Awesome. Thanks.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:57:07 pm »

Question: What the heck is the difference between "barracks" and "dormitory"?

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 02:03:36 pm »

1. How do I equip my hunter? The Military screen is head-explodey.

2. Is there a simpler way to irrigate underground? I tunneled to a pond and now I'm waiting for it to fill.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 02:05:51 pm »

QUESTION: How do I get my doctor to set the bones of a dwarf? At his medical screen it says something like "Hip bone, smashed apart, needs setting" but the medical dwarf does nothing. I have plaster powder.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Tarengrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »

As I understand it, Barracks are for military use, Dormitory would be for people to sleep in when they have no own room.

you can only equip hunters when you go (m) for Military, then f for Ammo, there you can decide what kind of bolts they use, they will however use whatever weapons and armor they please, as much as I get.

you might need Splinters for the bone setting, or a traction bench.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 1178