Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 212456 times)

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to take a turn, I hope I don't destroy the fortress  :P
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, sounds like the organization is about the usual for a dwarf fortress :p

And welcome aboard, LAAT501legion!
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like a turn, if that's alright. This seems a fine fort for my first succession game.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there still room for more? :O

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like a turn, if that's alright. This seems a fine fort for my first succession game.

Is there still room for more? :O

The more the merrier!

Doors stop fire, right?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

12th Slate. Huzzah ! The stone construction of the dike was completed today. From the plans left to me by my predecessor, all that is required for completion is the placing of a silver grate.

15th Slate. Unib the captain  discovered a citizen forsaking personal safety and crossing the river to recover a personal item today. Apparently this citizen thought that collecting her husbands loincloth from the unsafe territory much worth the risk.
Tun the commander thinks it is inevitable that the goblins will attack  again sometime this year. Under his advice have chained up a few puppies to act as an early warning guide. Am giving consideration to extra defences.

17th Slate. Rimtar the mayor has decided upon himself to assert his influence to demand the production of some platinum artifacts, before the summer is finished. Fickle politicians. I shall humour him for the meantime.

21st Slate. I have just been informed that we have not platinum at all at the moment. I have spoken to Rimtar, but he is most insistent of platinum trinkets. We may have to mine or trade to acquire some.

6th Felsite. The Dike is complete, the windmills are nearly finished. Soon I shall be able to send word to our Queen that her pet project is complete. Work on my early warning trap system is going well. The intention is to injure as many goblins as possible before they reach our drawbridge.

8th Felsite The windmills are complete, but the pumps are not operating. Daetrin the architect offers the opinion that we may have to start the pumps manually, but from my experience this could be hazardous to any dwarves who do such.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:25:52 pm by Tsarwash »
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

19th Felsite. An Elven caravan turned up today, along with a liason. I wonder what those pointy eared pricks want this time ? My previous dealing with them have never been productive.

20th Felsite. After a week of inquiry, the architect has discovered the flaw in our elegant pump. It seems that a stairway was left in the works as a mistake. Sakzul the chief engineer has accepted the blame put on him by Daetrin. I have ordered him flogged and given him the task of recifying it.

24th Felsite. I knew it was a bad idea to have Rimtar the mayor act as our broker too. I have spent the last two trying to persuade him to get out of his heated bath and speak to the pointy-eareds. It seems as though the dike will not be ready to be filled until midsummer at least. The Queen will not be pleased.

6th Hematite. When Rimtar did bother meeting the elves, he did well. He took all of the wood they had carted here for two baubles and a cat skin. Lafiel, the child has been seen acting strangely this week. I shall have to keep an eye on her.

16th Hematite. Lafiel has produced an ornately carved amulet, worth 16,800. Her parents are over the moon. I cannot see what the fuss is about. The elves requested that we limit our lumber industry to their limits. I told them where to go. Work is nearly done on rebuilding the pump and windmills.

3rd Malacite. Finally the windmills were completed today. The pumps work faster than I ever thought, and the dike shall be filled by the end of the week, I am assured. I shall compose a letter to inform our Queen. The fortress is short of wood. It is scarce above ground, and we had to seal of the caverns due to sightings of strange beasts. BBB the captain is eager to confront the beast. I’m have a bad feeling about his plan.

23rd Malacite. Received a snide note from the chief medic, thanking me for the prompt delivery of horse soap. I assume the he is alluding to the four month delay. I told him to be thankful of it at all.

On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mwahaha, my dwarf has as much power as the mayor, and is more valuable!

Doors stop fire, right?

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, i think mine enjoys their own private fortress for now...no distractions from 'managing', no questions in power-point presentations...

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile

I am sure having soap will be a great improvement in fortress hyg-

Glacial cancels Clean Self: Area inaccessible.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How's it coming there, Tsarwash?

Doors stop fire, right?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for delay. I'll get it finished by the end of today. *cough small problem.

19th Galena. Human Merchants have been sighted this morning. The Captain warned us to be on guard. And sure enough an ambush has been spotted, on the outskirts of our territory. We must take drastic action. Lets hope that my trap configuration does some damage to them before they reach the gates.

20th Galena. Well those are the most cowardly Gobbo’s that I have ever seen. Their leader, A maceman ran straight into my first trap, a spinning bronze disk. It severed his leg clean off. After seeing that, ALL of the rest ran away in terror. Even the maceman managed to drag himself away.

28th Galena. Just what we needed. Some migrants showed up today. We opened the gate to allow them in. Nineteen of them. Very useful. I have drafted ten into our militia straight away. The captain is going to try some intensive training on them. And among them is a master weaponsmith. Just what we were lacking. A good day.

13th Limestone. A tragic set of circumstance has led to the death of Athel the clothier. While mining out my modest tomb, he was caught in a flow of magma and bled to death. I feel responsible. A sad day.

16th Sandstone. A very quite month. Just dishing out orders to smelt more ore and clearing up items. Unib the Captain has a plan to breach the first cavern. He thinks that we could tackle the beasts down there, by overcoming them with numbers. I have my doubts but have given him permission.

18th Sandstone. Unib’s plan was a great success. We stationed all four companies on the first plateau. From his reports, it seems that the first beast, a giant spider was dispatched easily and with no injuries reported to our dwarves. The second beast, a huge lizard appeared while they were finishing off the insect. That one too was dispatched swiftly at no cost to us. The third and final beast, (that we know about) was a huge worm. This creature somehow had a great turn of speed, and ..uh  wriggled past our fighting troops and made a break for the stairway. Fortunately Unib had stationed the final unit behind the microcline bridge for this eventuality. All of the troops had no choice but to tackle the beast on that bridge. That was an unfortunate place to do so. It knocked four of our troops off the bridge during the course of the struggle. Broken bones are the only damage sustained fortunately. Now we can wall off this plateau, and have a source of subterranean timber.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

21st Sandstone. The last beast that we tackled seems to have been diseased. Many of the soldiers who were there are vomiting uncontrollably, and miasma is spreading from the caverns to the heart of the fortress. I have ordered the whole area cleaned. Lets hope the workers are snappy..

9th Timber. This is not looking good. The miasma seems to be coming from the soldiers who were involved with the fight. Most of them are in the hospital, but it’s difficult to see what’s happening there for all the miasma. Some surgery and cleaning seems to be taking place, but quite a lot is not. A few uninjured soldiers are also generating miasma acroos the fortress. On an unrelated note, Mathol the clothier was taken by a cave crocodile this afternoon. Pisano tried to save him, punching the croc, but it was too late. There was a squad down there but they seem to have been taking a nap. I shall have them flogged.

18th Timber. Still miasma and vomit everywhere. This might be my legacy to this fine palace if those damn lazy dwarves do not pull there socks up. The caverns below are sealed off, leaving us with a large space to use. Well, sealed off against anything that does not fly at least. As an additional precaution, we have built a drawbridge that can be closed to seal them off completely.

20th Timber. What a time for our dwarven brother to choose for a visit, with the fortress being such a state. But there it is. Also we have word of a structural failure in the caverns. The microcline pathway was undermined while we were modifying the access. There is one fatality so far, Bembul the engraver. Lets hope no more are there.

21st Timber. It’s all happening at once now. A goblin ambush ! And they’re right at our gate, having crossed the brook. Lets hope our traps hold them until we can muster up some military support.

22 Timber. It’s a good job that goblins are so stupid. Four of the seven ran strainght into the cage traps that my predessesors set up, and we were able to make short work of the other three.

7th moonstone. The dike has frozen. I’m not sure if that was in the plans of not. I’m not going to bother the queen with such trivialities. Not with her temper. Also one of our overground wells has frozen also, destroying it.  Still lots of miasma and vomit.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile

21st Sandstone. The last beast that we tackled seems to have been diseased. Many of the soldiers who were there are vomiting uncontrollably, and miasma is spreading from the caverns to the heart of the fortress. I have ordered the whole area cleaned. Lets hope the workers are snappy..

7th moonstone. The dike has frozen. I’m not sure if that was in the plans of not. I’m not going to bother the queen with such trivialities. Not with her temper. Also one of our overground wells has frozen also, destroying it.  Still lots of miasma and vomit.

I see you have discovered the Fun.

I realized that the dike and well would freeze after handing the fortress off. The dike freezing shouldn't be an issue -- unless you've added outside access other than the gatehouse, the water is largely decorative and most of its defensive value comes from being a wall around the fort (rather than a moat for falling into). When the hatches for the drain exploded at the very end of my last turn, I realized that the guardhouse well (which wasn't installed) was probably also going to explode when winter came. You should be able to fix the well by putting a tile of roof over it, off the guard tower.

My question is: did/will the dike hatch drain also burst because of the freezing?

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, why would an outdoor well explode when water freezes?  Does DF actually model ice expansion or something?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 76