Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 210720 times)

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Full of magma - Need players! - (31.12) (Succession)
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2010, 08:22:37 pm »

Ok guys I am sorry but I need to skip my turn I unfortunately wont have the time to play. RL is gotten a hold and might not let go for a while.

I will sign up again later when I have the free time
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2010, 06:57:32 am »

Sorry to hear that Kregoth.

All right, looks like I get the helm again for a bit.  I'll poke at it tonight after work.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2010, 02:10:10 pm »

Wow, the 3-month anniversary of this fortress is really epic. I feel really bad because I played such a small part of it and didn't even leave a dwarf to carry my name :(

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2010, 02:14:37 pm »

Quick, name a dwarf Dariush!

Seriously, you wanted to cast some obsidian. The fortress is in great shape for that now.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2010, 03:48:29 pm »

Journal of Daetrin Nitigko, Mason, Architect.

Now I know why nobody takes the job for more than a year at a time.  Ever since our resident seer stepped down we've been barely stumbling along. It looks like I'll have to try and take charge once again.  I've spent some time taking a good long look around the place and consulting plans and drawings.

However the magma wall got unblocked, I have plans for fixing it when the brook thaws...sadly it's below the level of the worst forgotten beast filth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm declaring cavern level one a complete loss, however.  There's no point to trying to salvage that. 

There's also some above ground areas that will have to have access removed.  A new, defensible entrance is on my list of priorities so no big loss there.

And by Tessum's five furious phalli, someone tell me WHY DARIUSH IS LOCKED IN AN OUBLIETTE!?

No, seriously, before I start anything major, why are they down there?  It's floored off and there's a still but no barrels.

All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »

No, seriously, before I start anything major, why are they down there?  It's floored off and there's a still but no barrels.

I think the answer is, "Because lolghurt put them there." I don't think they're quarantined or anything -- I gather that he had a plan for them, but didn't get to put it into action.

Edit: Clarified.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:01:48 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2010, 06:03:07 am »

Nah, half of the players are dead anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter by this stage :) But when did the disease start? Why didn't you wall off the caverns! And IS THIS THE FIRST FORTRESS EVER TO DROWN ALL IT'S RESIDENTS IN MAGMA?!

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

Nah, half of the players are dead anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter by this stage :) But when did the disease start? Why didn't you wall off the caverns! And IS THIS THE FIRST FORTRESS EVER TO DROWN ALL IT'S RESIDENTS IN MAGMA?!

i did manage to cause a shitload of migrants, so we have some replacements :p

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:11 pm »

But when did the disease start? Why didn't you wall off the caverns!

The disease started on Tsarwash's turn... when he went to wall off the caverns.

And IS THIS THE FIRST FORTRESS EVER TO DROWN ALL IT'S RESIDENTS IN MAGMA?!

I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - But where are the dikes? - Need players! - (31.12) (Succession)
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2010, 04:24:32 pm »

Here's the start of the disease outbreak, after he opened the first cavern level to deal with the three forgotten beasts in there.

18th Sandstone. Unib’s plan was a great success. We stationed all four companies on the first plateau. From his reports, it seems that the first beast, a giant spider was dispatched easily and with no injuries reported to our dwarves. The second beast, a huge lizard appeared while they were finishing off the insect. That one too was dispatched swiftly at no cost to us. The third and final beast, (that we know about) was a huge worm. This creature somehow had a great turn of speed, and ..uh  wriggled past our fighting troops and made a break for the stairway. Fortunately Unib had stationed the final unit behind the microcline bridge for this eventuality. All of the troops had no choice but to tackle the beast on that bridge. That was an unfortunate place to do so. It knocked four of our troops off the bridge during the course of the struggle. Broken bones are the only damage sustained fortunately. Now we can wall off this plateau, and have a source of subterranean timber.

Either of these guys could have been the vector:

Both "poisonous vapors" and "noxious secretions" are potential doom via contaminant; they put toxins all over the dwarves fighting them.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2010, 08:38:33 pm »

This is awesome, May I join in sometime?
I still have to buff my machine though
Don't you just love magma-baked cookies?

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »

I think the answer is, "Because lolghurt put them there." I don't think they're quarantined or anything -- I gather that he had a plan for them, but didn't get to put it into action.

Edit: Clarified.
I didn't put anyone anywhere. I was too busy screaming at the FPS violently jumping between 0 and 10 to get anything done properly.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Graeldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2010, 09:29:57 am »

This looks awesome can i join?

Oh, the sea of ooze? It's a tourist attraction.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »

I didn't put anyone anywhere. I was too busy screaming at the FPS violently jumping between 0 and 10 to get anything done properly.

But you included a screenshot of the "oubliette" and said something about setting up Kourin to live on his own. I figured you were planning to make him some sort of hermit-king,1 living in isolated luxury while the other dwarves slept in the dirt. It would have fit nicely with the old tradition of having each ruler of Ardentdikes carve out his or her own personal palace.

1Of course, he has a still, so maybe he was going to be a moonshiner instead.

Edit: Improved clarity.
Edit 2: Fixed the grammatical error that was a side effect of said improvement in clarity.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:16:09 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2010, 04:43:09 am »

But you included a screenshot of the "oubliette" and said something about setting up Kourin to live on his own. I figured you were planning to make him some sort of hermit-king,1 living in isolated luxury while the other dwarves slept in the dirt. It would have fit nicely with the old tradition of having each ruler of Ardentdikes carve out his or her own personal palace.

1Of course, he has a still, so maybe he was going to be a moonshiner instead.

Edit: Improved clarity.
Edit 2: Fixed the grammatical error that was a side effect of said improvement in clarity.

Eh, must have misread the screenshot of it. Damn tilesets.
I don't think I actually locked anyone in it though. I don't remember getting that far.
EDIT: leave kourin there. please. everyone else probably got accidentally locked there. give him some barrels, too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:02:19 am by lolghurt »
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 76