Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farming problems  (Read 2234 times)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming problems
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:25 pm »

All of you have failed to realize, after you have breached a underground cavern, then can you build farmplots on any underground soil?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:09 am »

So, make sure it has never been exposed to sunlight
I can't make subterrean farming when I floored off the whole thing?
Nothing personal, but is that a "I think so" or a "I definitely know"?
Point is, one of my (planned) farming plots has an "outside" corner (where I hit the muddy pond to get the water). My idea was to wall that corner off later (to make the room nicely rectangular) and put floors on the top to shut out the light. If you're right, then a plot below the floor won't work.
As an utter novice dwarf, I can use almost any advice I can get...
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 01:47:41 am »

All of you have failed to realize, after you have breached a underground cavern, then can you build farmplots on any underground soil?

no, because you would be wrong.  You can farm inside a cavern once you breach it, because those tiles are covered in mud.  And even then, those are rock, and not soil.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:07:35 am »

So, make sure it has never been exposed to sunlight
I can't make subterrean farming when I floored off the whole thing?
Nothing personal, but is that a "I think so" or a "I definitely know"?
Point is, one of my (planned) farming plots has an "outside" corner (where I hit the muddy pond to get the water). My idea was to wall that corner off later (to make the room nicely rectangular) and put floors on the top to shut out the light. If you're right, then a plot below the floor won't work.
As an utter novice dwarf, I can use almost any advice I can get...
edit:  Sorry, put that wrong.  Regardless, any aboveground tile will stay aboveground when floored over, forever.

khanser

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 02:36:35 am »

Thanks everyone.

I digged a ramp above to a mini-lake with flood gates, a lever and a pression plate, I did watered the plot and and I could select seeds but it was too late for my dwarves. They all died cause there was no food.

:)

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 02:43:15 am »

Thanks everyone.

I digged a ramp above to a mini-lake with flood gates, a lever and a pression plate, I did watered the plot and and I could select seeds but it was too late for my dwarves. They all died cause there was no food.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 09:46:23 am »

Thanks everyone.

A little tip for the future:  You can assign your dwarves the herbalist/plant gathering skill (2 different names, same skill, its called herbalist on the embark screen, and plant gathering in game) and have them gather plants outside(d-p and designate an area the same as you would for chopping trees).  The plants gathered should hold your dwarves over long enough to get your farming up and running.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 12:40:54 pm »

Thanks everyone.

at least you are thinking along the right lines.  If you're draining a small pond however, there isn't enough water to drown/flood anything, as long as the room is big enough you can do it without any mechanisms at all.  As the above poster mentioned, herbalism is your friend.  While I'm digging/chopping wood early in a fortress, often I have a dwarf or two that has no job.  I enable plant gathering and let them get to work.  The bonus of herbalism is that you get prickle berries and strawberries that can be eaten and the seeds can be planted above ground with no irrigation at all.  Sometimes I'll be too lazy to quickly set up a proper farm, and my dwarves will survive for years just on berries grown in a 4x2 plot.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 04:37:18 pm »

Thanks everyone.

Welcome brother, to dwarf fortress!

Quite a dwarven irrigation system from the sounds of it. Well done!

Good luck with your next fortress!
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: 1 [2]