Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves ignore digging and tree cutting designations  (Read 4214 times)

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves ignore digging and tree cutting designations
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:20:40 pm »

So I found this place that seems to have a cavern in the surface level, overlapping a magma pipe and a lake. On embark part of it collapses down. The problem is that the dwarves ignore all digging and tree cutting designations. They will not pick up the axes nor picks. When drafted to military they will wield the weapons, but drop them as soon as the squad is inactivated. They can gather plants and haul stuff to stockpiles.

I remembered the legend of dwarves staring an adamantine spire and being unable to do anything. This sounds like the same bug, but I cannot find it from Mantis. Does anybody know if this has been reported already?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:44:31 pm by uggi »

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves ignore digging and tree cutting designations
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:21:25 pm »

After experimenting a bit, I think the instant cave-in on embark somehow causes the unability to dig or cut trees. If I turn off cave-ins and embark into the same location, the dwarves will happily do their jobs (EDIT: this is not always the case). The cavern is overlapping the surface area, upper parts of the cavern hanging in mid-air.

This world is just weird. I embarked into another location and found a huge rectangle-shaped hole in the ground, going down 150 levels. In the middle of this hole is a slade tower going up 160 levels. A brook, a cavern lake and the magma sea are all pouring down into the happy place. The unit list has clowns and zombie carps. Too bad it is also an instant fps death.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:46:44 pm by uggi »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves ignore digging and wood chopping designations
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:04:11 am »

POST IT AND WORLDGEN! NOW!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:10 pm »

Here's the worldgen, I hope I managed to export it correctly:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The world was created with vanilla DF v0.31.16, running on Linux. Parameters are from the small island template, with increased volcanism and savagery. Number of volcanoes and civs were increased too.

This is the world before I did any embarks:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3382

Here's the fortress of Wealthslanced on embark:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3383

Location in worldmap:

Screenshot of the cave-in:

Parts of the cavern overlapping the surface layer are collapsing. Moving the embark square one click to north reveals a pit that will drain the lake down into second cavern.

The dwarves will ignore all digging and tree cutting designations. I tried embarking here with cave-ins disabled, but the designation problem was still there. However, I found a workaround:
1. Draft the miner and woodcutter into the military, assign them picks and axes as weapons.
2. Designate digging and tree cutting jobs.
3. Order the squad to be stationed somewhere.
4. When the dwarves go to pickup their equipment, cancel the order. Make sure the squad is inactivated too.
5. They will continue with the pickup job and then go digging and cutting trees.
6. As soon as they finish all their designated jobs, they will drop their tools again. Repeat from step 2.

And this is the fortress of Claspappear. There's a deep sinkhole with eerie glowing pits at the bottom, a slade mountain in the middle of it and a welcome party of clowns:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3384

Location in worldmap:

And this is what happened on embark:

Screenshot of the surface:

More places to explore: (I did these experiments with another PC that has more oomph)

Embarking anywhere in this square froze and/or crashed the game:

This was an interesting place to embark. The wagon, dwarves, cats and dogs were all encased inside the stone at z-130. I tried to find the surface, went up to z+1000 until I got bored. Unpausing the game ended it all.

I have tried maybe a dozen embarks in this world. Most of them will crash the game on embark.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:54:08 am »

Jesus.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 06:06:36 am »

I would recommend getting a new computer if this wasn't so awesome.
くコ:彡