Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Abilty to outfit our companions.  (Read 3461 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abilty to outfit our companions.
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:08:17 pm »

I would like to see this feture added, How when we press c It brings up there names but I would like the choice to not only examine but also gain the option to change what there wearing with wearable objects we have. Im not sure if this has already been requested nor if its going to be a feature.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Abilty to outfit our companions.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 11:43:40 pm »

I like the idea of being able to give and offer items, but the idea of dressing someone, in the realistic kinda setup DF tries to cultivate, is kinda awkward.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:39 pm »

Ordering your men to change clothing is actually realistic. For now it would work flawlessly, once your members of your party gain their own thoughts, feelings, and ability to hate/like. That's when they need to like you to change their clothing.

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:31:15 am »

Since adventure mode companions start out without any combat skills, bowmen, two-handed wielders, and wrestlers are totally useless and have no longevity.

Bowmen are useless because they can't hit the broadside of a barn, and they fire off their whole quiver, then they become melee characters.

Two-handers are doomed to die with no armour, no shield, and no weapon skill to parry incoming shots.

Wrestlers can't do the things wrestlers should be able to do, and facing a goblin ambush in a loincloth is not a good way to learn.

Either some form (including gentle suggestions) of equipping characters will fix the problem, or alternatively, skills could be tweaked and the bowmen AI tweaked to allow them to scavenge their own ammo.

In principle it would be fun once characters have fully fleshed out personas, to just let them go to the stores themselves and barter for their own gear.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:01:34 am »

Ordering your men to change clothing is actually realistic. For now it would work flawlessly, once your members of your party gain their own thoughts, feelings, and ability to hate/like. That's when they need to like you to change their clothing.

I don't really recall any epic tales where the hero micromanages what underwear and shinpads his associates wear.   There's a wide difference between a menu where you dress your friends up and saying "Hey, here is a mighty steel axe, feel free to use it."- or even the companion ask to use it on their own.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:27:19 am »

I thought it was referring to things like Armor and the like, rather then..well, cloth.

And your less a hero, more or less a hired mercenary thug.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 02:44:48 am »

The point still stands that having a menu to change your hired goon's clothes is a bit unrealistic for adventure mode.   At least in Fortress mode there's the conceit of being the will of the people.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:57 am »

Actually asigning uniforms to your men was considered quite normal. However this was often depending on what type of group we are talking about here. Armies can require it's men to wear a certain armor while bandits will usually let it's own members choose what they will wear. And some special missions would require very specific clothing (think black for stealth ext.).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 08:09:57 pm »

Well, I kind of liked the idea to be able to just give them objects or they ask for it, And may wear it if it is better then they currently have. Or an AI for archers to do as he said find there own arrows. But haveing them barter for themselfs and like you be able to pick there own gear or loot enemy corpses to sell things seems like it would be a good idea. On the same lines I wish to ask, Has being able to really "Haggle" With the merchants been introduced yet? You know offering a high number, They counter with another (Close to actual value but a little less due to them trying to make profit) You offer with a higher, They may or maynot respond with a higher and ect. To the point where they get pissed and settle for a low number and won't change.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:05:31 am »

... There's a wide difference between a menu where you dress your friends up and saying "Hey, here is a mighty steel axe, feel free to use it."- or even the companion ask to use it on their own.

Well, we only need later option.

It is kinda silly to ransack bandit camp and see your knife-wielding cloth-clothed peasant eye shield and sword on the ground, sigh and just follow you back to village to report success.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:36:59 am »

I personally think they shouldn't loot corpses on their own, you should need to order them to.
*Hugs*

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 08:43:34 am »

I personally think they shouldn't loot corpses on their own, you should need to order them to.

They should be smart enough to recognize item they can use which is worse than what you have, better than what they have and get it without much asking, assuming that you would not mind them having it.

Basically, when i have iron chain armors, peasant on my side should not hesitate to help himself to leather armor laying around.

Of course, it should not interfere with combat or with player's greed.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 09:38:53 am »

Yeah, but this would be nearly guaranteed to result in Pig Tail Sock Syndrome. Where your entire army runs away to pick up a +Bronze high boot+ leaving you to die.
*Hugs*

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:04 pm »

Yeah, but this would be nearly guaranteed to result in Pig Tail Sock Syndrome. Where your entire army runs away to pick up a +Bronze high boot+ leaving you to die.

Good point, Perhaps you can set companion prefrences?, Or something such as that.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 01:28:17 pm »

That would be my thought. Perhaps a companion screen option "loot corpses/containers"

Edit: Also, what about in town, problems would be had if your army started to loot shops. (although it'd be pretty cool in an enemy town)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:29:52 pm by The Merchant Of Menace »
*Hugs*
Pages: [1] 2