Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ThŒkut Lolorkilrud, Outpost Liaison has gone berser  (Read 2898 times)

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
ThŒkut Lolorkilrud, Outpost Liaison has gone berser
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:07:00 am »

This is the first autumn of my fort, and an outpost liaison came with the trade caravan. All was well; the export agreement had been finalized and the caravan left, but for some reason, the liaison went to my pond, which is also designated as my meeting area, and after a while the "A diplomat has left unhappy" message had appeared with him going berserk. He was then quickly dispatched by three dogs, but I still have a dead diplomat, and this is going to badly damage my relationships with the dwarven kingdom.

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ThŒkut Lolorkilrud, Outpost Liaison has gone berser
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:34:00 am »

They get "stuck" if they're downstairs when they finish their business.

I'm trying an experiment with building a meeting room (enclosed room with "ceiling" and a table) on the ground level. I don't know if that'll work yet or not.

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:10:00 am »

So do I have to find a way to get my expedition leader to the surface if I want the outpost liaison to retuen alive? How do I do that?

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Bluefire ]

The Dude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:33:00 am »

The way I have done it is build an office, a bedroom and a dining room for my mayor/expedition leader on the surface. Then I disable all jobs for him around the time the caravan hits. Have worked so far...

tocky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

Is it possible to break your relationship with the dwarves? I'm wondering because you can't seize their goods and (it says in the manual) offering them free stuff does nothing. I thought, currently, your relationship with your home kingdom doesn't change.

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:31:00 am »

I've tested that more extensively and found a way to make it work. Schedule is tight so watch out.

In the noble screen, there's one of your dwarves that is tasked to handle the outpost liason. It's his job to meet with him and conduct a meeting. You can sometimes see him doing that activity in the job list sometimes.

The big problem is that that activity isn't really a task. In fact, it works like a dwarf that has no task or is on a break. It's so low priority that any other task will pass first. So what you'll often see is the outpost liason stalking your dwarf during a month or more, waiting for him to be free to conduct that important meeting until he gets hungry, thirsty and goes mad.

What I do is when the caravan arrives, I take my dwarf and I remove every tasks from him,  every single one, even moving items around. That way, he'll stay arround for the meeting and things will go forward. Keep it that way for some time until you've passed all the messages, signed all papers and the outpost liason actually leaves your fortress. Then you can ask your dwarf to resume work.

Having some special room or a meeting place is completly useless for that. Not sure if you need to finish the meeting before the rest of the caravan leaves either.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:37:00 am »

No, we know about that, but there's definitely a pathfinding issue at work here, too; many experienced players have reported it.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

Are you sure it wasn't just that you forgot one last screen of speech before returning your liaison dwarf to its work? Signing the last paper isn't the end of it. There's a one or more message AFTER you sign the last paper where the outpost liason clearly says he's leaving.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

My first liason got destroyed by a hippo, and all that messing around with import/export agreements was for naught. Time to start a new fort, and this time make sure the big dining hall doesn't have unsmoothable soil!
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 02:36:00 pm »

eh.. why do you even need an office?

don't need that for meetings.

though.. if there's a room, they will use it.

incidentally.. split the expedition leader from other noble jobs (like manager) if you want to have him do less jobs.

the liason will leave when he leaves.. makes no difference (so far) whether the merchants  are still there..

then again.. haven't had him for so long that the next year's merchants arrive with another liason yet.. XD

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Stof:
<STRONG>Are you sure it wasn't just that you forgot one last screen of speech before returning your liaison dwarf to its work? Signing the last paper isn't the end of it. There's a one or more message AFTER you sign the last paper where the outpost liason clearly says he's leaving.</STRONG>

Actually, there seems to sometimes be yet another message after this.  My liasons often say 'Craftdwarvenship...' after ther say farewell, but before tbey leave.  I'm not sure what that's all about, but it's possible that your leader isn't giving him a chance to attend meeting and make the comment.

:roll:

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Freddybear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »

I definitely got through the whole sequence of trade agreements and the "Farewell..." message long before the caravan left, and the liaison was still stuck three levels down, right by the stairs, when the caravan did leave and shortly thereafter he went insane. My Outpost Leader dwarf was available the whole time too.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

I haven't had a problem lately with the liaison getting stuck, but at most he's only one z-level below the surface when the meeting finishes (that's where I normally put the broker's office).  And, by disabling all of the broker's jobs, the liaison finishes the meeting before the caravan goes.  <- ver 33a
Before (ver 32a), my first few liaisons got stuck if they were deeper and if they didn't finish before the caravan left the map entirely.  I haven't tried experimenting in 33a, been busy checking other things, so I don't know if each condition is necessary on it's own or if both need to be present together...  More experiments required.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

My office is downstairs, its right around the corner from the stairs near the entrance to my fort though.  It's funny, the last message I see isn't Farewell its "Craftsdwarfship" by itself
Pages: [1] 2