Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Not Using Abundant Material in Strange Mood  (Read 11686 times)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Not Using Abundant Material in Strange Mood
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:03:33 am »

There's a possessed dwarf which claimed a Craftsdwarf's Workshop, and she's asking for logs (tree...life).

Problem is, even though there are over 200 logs, none of them forbidden or out of reach, she won't retrieve any of them. I made sure that the other six or so requested materials are all available, and so far she's got some bones but that's it.

Help?
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Not Using Abundant Material in Strange Mood
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:07:49 am »

Are the logs or the workshop in a burrow?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:27:18 am »

Might the moody dwarf already have logs in the workshop? He might be looking for the next thing on his list which you're missing.

Also, if the dwarf is assigned to a burrow, I'm fairly certain that they won't look outside that burrow for items to gather. While this probably isn't quite relevant, if the burrow they're assigned to doesn't include their claimed workshop, they'll gather boundless amounts of stuff; this is the mechanism behind intentional creation of quantum artifacts.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:31:21 am »

Neither the workshop nor the dwarf is in an active barrow.

I have everything that she asks for, it's just that she won't get the next thing after bones, which is logs, which I have over 200 of.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:32:53 am »

When they're doing the whole demand voodoo at you, they'll whine about everything on their list.  So if they are going on about bones and rocks and wood, they may have the rocks and wood, but they don't have bones.  Use "t" to view building contents, and you can sometimes figure out what they're missing, by getting an idea of which item in the list they are stuck on.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:35:16 am »

Neither the workshop nor the dwarf is in an active barrow.

I have everything that she asks for, it's just that she won't get the next thing after bones, which is logs, which I have over 200 of.
May need more bones, also I suspect that sometimes they want shells instead of bones.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:43:07 am »

Yeah.  Sometimes the next thing on the list after bones is more bones.

How's your Bone Stockpile holding out?
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:46:38 am »

Hmm...let's slaughter another animal.

She's asking for bones, logs, metal bars, blocks, cloth, stone, block, stone. It should be in that order because she got the bones first. Each one of the mutterings last for 2 seconds, then switch on to the next one.

According to the wiki this should mean that she only needs one of each of the items requested. She got the bones (viewed workshop with 't'), but is now sitting in it, even though the next item should be logs that I have an abundant amount of.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:50:41 am »

Well, bones were the problem. Apparently even when it asks for one 'set' the dwarf need multiple. This should be wiki'ed.

Thank you everyone! :D

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 04:27:58 am »

Moody dwarfs always take one stack of body parts (i think for other materials too, if there are any that stack) for one decoration. I had a dwarf who wanted shells once and he took a stack of 100-something forgotten beast shell.  ::)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 04:41:39 am »

:o

...and this bone artifact is hit with the disappearing decorations bug. Oh well, at least it's a mace and not something completely useless.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 06:05:57 am »

Pretty much all bone artifacts catch that bug. Last time it happened to me I decided if it was going to go that way I'd at least have an iron item instead (forbidding the bone after the construction has begun).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:47:19 pm »

just out of curiosity, even if the decorations aren't listed, are they still counted towards the worth of the object?  in other words, should I try to get bone crafts to have good decorations (even though I won't be able to read about them!) or should I just give them crap materials since it won't count anyway?
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 02:57:29 pm »

No, the materials taken for decoration vanish completely.   Only the bone counts towards the artifact value, so bone artifacts just aren't worth much.  When you can control the decoration material, make it the cheapest crap you can.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 06:41:29 pm »

Well, bones were the problem. Apparently even when it asks for one 'set' the dwarf need multiple. This should be wiki'ed.

This is something that's actually changed in version 0.31 - the mood's primary material (i.e. stone for masons, wood for carpenters, metal for smiths, cloth/leather/bone for craftsworkers, etc.) will only be mentioned once in the dwarf's requests, even if the dwarf wants more than one unit of it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2