Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Orbiter (free space flight simulator)  (Read 48070 times)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orbiter (free space flight simulator)
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:27:27 pm »

I had a look around and to my supprise it doesn't seem like there has been made a topic about it yet.
Orbiter is a real-time space flight simulator (don't worry, there is time acceleration) which accuratly models the planets and moons movements.
Go from getting lost in space in the fictional delta-glider to reliving history in the historical apollo 11 shuttle (the apollo 11 is a downloadable add-on)

It is hard to learn at first, getting to the moon is a real challange if you have never played this before, heck even getting to the ISS was hard for me at first.

In most missions there are no preset goals so you will have to figure out yourself wether you want to deliver a package in the XR2 ravenstar (must-have addon) to the moon or simply try to dock with the ISS in low earth orbit.

Vanilla orbiter has no sound nor destructable space craft so here is a link to the sound pack and delta-glider IV which has a crew and oxygen.
You can get orbiter here.
There is even an experimental multiplayer client!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter (free space flight simulator)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:30 pm »

Sounds neat.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:45:32 pm »

Amazing amazing program. Hard but very rewarding and with a lot of add ons and a great comunity. Really recommended. You can tour the whole Solar System, you can build a Space Station, or you can crash a vessel on the moon and the go and rescue its crew. And everything with realistic physics and maneouvers (no Star Wars-like turning on space)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:00:46 pm »

Yeah it is great, it is realistic otherwise it wouldn't be called a simulator.
You can't just point your nose towards the moon or mars and start the engines and get there in a few mins, you have to take the planets gravity into account and plan your trip, otherwise you might get lost in space or do an accidental re-entry which could prove fatal.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:13:34 pm »

Hey I remember seeing something like this that's extremely similar (even looks almost the same), except it was a flight simulator (though with space & solar system type modes optional, or you could just ignore the assigned missions and blast off to mars or something). It was intended for education purposes, and the interface was highly obtuse.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »

I am always worried about "flight sims" because I don't have a joystick.  Is this unfounded?  Are you guys using a joystick?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:19:17 pm »

I am always worried about "flight sims" because I don't have a joystick.  Is this unfounded?  Are you guys using a joystick?
I don't use a joystick and have already played orbiter for a very long time withouth problems.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:56:17 pm »

Orbiter is very playable with the keyboard. I'm floating in space with it since 2008 and never had a problem. Even atmospheric flying in it is not very difficult without a joystick.

The new level14 texture for Earth is really amazing in comparison with the past version that had mix of detailled tiles and very low details ones

I love the new "light source" feature that came with Orbiter 2010, solved all my visual annoyance with going around stations when the action was taking place out of sun reach.

Going in space can be very atmospheric, you nearly feel the Claustrophobia inside a while surrounded by such immensity.
Here i was transfering an UMMU between 2 DG in orbit above Mars :

A sandbox the size of the solar system.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:58:00 pm by Robsoie »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:01:31 pm »

Protip for launching the space shuttle: DO NOT enable infinite fuel. From what I've experienced, it is entirely impossible to get into orbit without limited fuel, as the weight of said fuel means you output less thrust after booster separation than your craft weighs, making you fall right back down to Earth.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:50 pm »

Robsoie, can you give me a link to the level14 textures please?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:30 pm »

I used to play this quite a lot in my old computer. It could be fun, if you gave yourself goals.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:08:01 pm »

Oops was wrong, it's only Florida that is level 14 , the remaining of Earth is level 11 (but that's always superior to previous Orbiter versions) , fortunately, the level 14 Florida blend very nicely with the rest of the world.

It's on this page :
http://downloadorbitersim.com/?page_id=42
Look for Earth L11 L14.zip

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »

Hmm, alright thanks anyway.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:00:10 pm »

The dimensions are off in this screenshot.  The spacecraft and planet seem okay, but how come we can't see that the astronaut's balls are at least as large as the planet?  He's jumping between spacecraft above mars for Christ sakes!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 10:12:15 pm »

Dimensions are indeed off because of the modified field of view for this screenshot. In reality, the UMMU was far from the DG.

You can modify your FOV at any time of your Orbiter flight.

Another one while docked to ISS in Earth orbit using a modified FOV, the moon is much bigger than it is from a point of view located in Earth orbit and docked to ISS

edit : while i think about it, something that helped me greatly to learn how to fly with Orbiter is this excellent PDF that you can download here :
Go play in space

It was done for Orbiter 2006 but it can be applied to Orbiter 2010P1, a recommended reading.

On some chapters, the recommended MFD addons may be out of date, grab the updated versions for 2010P1 in case those older ones are not working under the latest Orbiter.
Check the very large mods and addons repository in such case :
http://www.orbithangar.com/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:30:56 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12