Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Blood Throne: Another Arena Thread  (Read 7350 times)

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Blood Throne: Another Arena Thread
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:53:45 am »

Just looking through the other arena thread, I had an idea for a identical similar series, but one which doesn't require reading of 70-odd pages to understand what is happening. So I have decided to make The Blood Throne, a vicious place where victory is impossible, and the only possible solution is to hold out against your opponent for as long as possible. Advance through the leagues, and you will unlock the most powerful weapon in the universe. But you will still be forced to FIGHT.

There will be certain leagues each of your characters may be in. From lowest to highest: Copper, Bronze, Brass, Iron, Electrum, Steel, Platinum, Aluminium, Steel, and two super-secret spoiler leagues.

To create a character simply select a gender, a race (Goblin, Dwarf, Human, Elf >.>, Kobold, or <Animal>man), select 10 skill boosts, and any equipment you want to buy. You have 75 dwarf bucks available, and a price list of all the stuff you ever want to buy is here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Value. Not only that, but if you want, you can also purchase beasts of war, and equip THOSE with armor and weapons too! (Stupid beasts, such as dogs, can't use battle-axes, for example, but (I think) you can have armor on your puppy)

Spoiler: Skill Boosts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pets (click to show/hide)

Initially, you can only buy anything in the second spoiler, at normal quality, with the following materials:

x1    Wolf Leather (You can also pick any leather from any animal with less than a x4 multiplier to cost)
x2   Bismuth, Copper, Lead, Nickel, Tin, Zinc
x3   Lay pewter, Nickel silver
x4   Trifle pewter

You can only go up a league if you win 2 fights (and yes, you can choose to stay at a lower league, but you don't get the sweet weapons)

Spoiler: Bets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FAQ (click to show/hide)

First battles will (hopefully) be within 24 hours.

<Going to also reserve two posts>
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:21:13 pm by digitCruncher »

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Blood Throne: Another Arena Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:31 am »

If you want to register for the Blood Throne, simply fill this out:

Spoiler: Form (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Peaceful (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:29:34 am by digitCruncher »

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:56:26 am »

Reserved in case of any major announcements / Memorable battles throughout history / In case the previous post isn't enough.

Go ahead and register. Or post suggestions for improvements / questions about how this will work. I expect the FAQ in the first post is going to be modified pretty extensively over the next few days.

Upcoming Events

30th Granite
12 noon NZT: Stiric vs. Naryar
5PM: Zolok Melbilthak vs. Ace Mc.Spade
10PM: Skisk vs. Copycat
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:27:08 pm by digitCruncher »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:44:46 am »

Name: Garek Vitrowa
Race: Human
Skills: Swordsman - 3
Fighter - 4
Dodger - 2
Thrower - 1
Equipment: copper short sword (28 dorfbucks)
2 leather high boots (24 dorfbucks)
leather leggings (23 dorfbucks)
Backstory: Originally from a land overflowing with dragons and dungeons, Garek awoke one day to find himself in an alien world he did not understand. However he did understand the local dwarves, though he failed to convince any of them that he was a dwarf (heightists...)
For now, he fights in the arena, seeking glory and a method to return home.
Oh, and copious amounts of alcohol.

I wouldn't be surprised if I did the skill section wrong. If I did, just tell me how to do it right and I'll edit.

Dead as a doorstop.  :'(

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:19:46 pm »

Looks pretty good, but how do you change item quality in arena mode ? I think the skill point allocation is too high, either limit the amount you can boost each skill or give less. Apart from that, only testing will show if the system is balanced or needs tweaking.

Name: Kzelo
Race: Goblin
Skills:
  • Crossbowman 10
Items:
  • Bone/Wood Crossbow (10¤)
  • Copper Bolt x7 (14¤)
  • 1¤ in the bank
Pet:
  • Smosp : Beak Dog (50¤)
Backstory: Tired of sieges against locked down settlements, Kzelo and his trusty beak dog Smosp come to the blood throne not for fame or glory, but to slay as many cowardly dwarf, human or elf they can.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:15:20 pm »

Both of you are right. In fact, you two will be the first people into the arena.

@Kzel: Cheers for the tips. You are right, I misunderstood the skill system in the other arena thread, and thought it was 5 skill points + 3 for each win. As a result, I have changed it slightly: 10 skill points + 1 for each win. Also, you are right again, you can't change item quality in arena mode. Stink.

@Blade Master: Your skills are fine.

First battle will be at 3:00 NZT (In about 4 hours time). Place your bets now! :P

[Edit to rules: Clarified the fact that if you lose in the Copper League, you die for real, and will have to roll up another charactor. Also, in the copper league, the winner takes all the loot, not just a quarter of it]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:13:31 pm by digitCruncher »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »

Name: Stiric
Race: Dwarf
Skills:
Hammer Dwarf-3
Shield User-2
Armor User-2
Dodger-3
Equipment (And pets):
I don't know what to pick so can you just pick a suitable set of equipment for me?

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »

@Bdthemag

I picked the following equipment for you. Tell me if you don't like it / want to swap something around before your first battle.

Copper Mace (18 DB)
Ceder Shield (14 DB )
Copper Mail Shirt (40 DB)
3 db for your own personal needs

@Everyone

Does anyone know of a method to get the value of items that are not listed in the list provided? I want a large dagger, for example, but it won't tell me how much they are worth...

Spoiler: The battle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Engraving of Garek (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Engraving of Kzelo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Discussion (click to show/hide)

Rule Change: Although it has no bearing on anyone ATM, take note of the COST multipliers on advanced metals. In short, if you are in Bronze, you will need to pay for higher quality weapons. The 'quality' is just the cost, it doesn't make the weapon better. So instead of steel being a x30 multiplier, it now sports an impressive x360 multiplier. Still, I would rather have a steel sword than 160 copper ones.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:20:07 pm by digitCruncher »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:58:16 pm »

Name: Bean

Skills: 10
7 shield user
3 dodger

Equipment: 71
27 wolf leather shield
44 copper pick

Backstory:
As a small child, he witnessed his entire hamlet slaughtered by goblins. They left him alive because he was young enough to be trained, and, being a dwarf, was naturally excellent at mining. Years later, after countless whippings and endless work, he took his pick and ran. On his way out, he killed the goblin on guard duty, and took his shield. After months of travelling and running from goblin patrols, he found the Blood Throne and plans to make a new life and destiny there.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 03:00:02 am »

Spoiler: The Battle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Engraving of Stiric (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Discussion (click to show/hide)

Next match will be Bean vs. Kzelo, at 3:00pm NZT tomorrow. Place your bets!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:43 am »

Name: Zolok Melbilthak

Skills:
5 fighter
2 dodger
3 axedwarf

Equipment: 2 dwarf bucks
copper battle axe - 68 dwarf bucks
leather cap - 5 dwarf bucks

Backstory: Zolok hails from a dwarven outpost that fell to a goblin seige. Goblin siege number 181, to be specific.
He has wandered the world ever since, seeking retribution for his fellows.

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 09:44:15 am »

Name: Dancing Dagger
Race: Kobold
Skills:
6 Knife user
4 Dodging
Equipment (And pets):
Copper large dagger (2x ? = less than 40 DB)

I have no idea how much large daggers cost, but I imagine it's less than 20.

Backstory (Optional): Killed in the finals of a mighty tournament, DD finds herself reincarnated, just to be placed in another tournament! She hears that the winner of the whole league can leave... Maybe she can finally stop fighting?

Stuff: I bet 35 dorfbucks for kzelo & Doggie mcdog

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 10:13:23 am »

A dagger's base cost is 10¤ if my latest fort is to be trusted (a no-quality silver dagger from a thief is worth 100¤).

Kzelo will sell the Copper Short Sword for 28/4=7¤ and the Large Wolf Leather High Boots * 2 for 24/4=6¤. That puts his current total at 39¤.

He will exchange the Large Wolf Leather Leggings for some of his size for 11¤, buy 4 copper bolts for 8¤, and keep the 20¤ in reserve to heal his pet if harm comes to it.

The training should go towards further mastery of the crossbow, bringing his skill to 11.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

@mipe9: Unless DF2010 has me wrong, Kobolds are too small to one-handed wield a large copper dagger, so unfortunatly you cannot duel-weild one-handed daggers are a kobold. DF 2010 has me wrong. You can duel-wield daggers. Also, your bet has been placed. Good luck!

@kzel: Cool. Updating your inventory list now. See you in 6 hours :D

@Blade Master 42: Added to the list. Good luck!

@Everyone: Added the price for bows, scourges, and large copper daggers. If anyone else has the prices for unusual weapons (found from foriegners bringing in weapons) just let me know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4