Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Short Story of Ontanoebinibi.  (Read 2238 times)

Vinedragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Short Story of Ontanoebinibi.
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:53:06 am »

This is a story that happened in my game of Dwarf Fortress, with the Masterwork mod. I was playing as the kobolds.

So let me tell you what happened in Ontanoebinibi, or Dismalcombats by our tongue.

So I began an arctic quest. Forgetting numerous things due to my amazingly poor memory, I threw myself into the arctic with bare minimum supplies, except for a large stash of wood (that didn't last.) Among the things I forgot, I forgot Kobolds couldn't tunnel through stone. So I couldn't get to the caverns I was planning on using. Well sh*t, right? It gets better. In Dismalcombats, I started with two machete wielding kobolds, who were apparently made out of dwarves or something because they survived many a scuffle, slaughtering firebirds, lionmen, ox, etc. etc. This was my meat supply, which was a healthy constant. My drinks, however...

I had a small stash of 10 plants at the beginning of the embark, with some 30-40 barrels of booze. My kobolds were drunk for an entire year until the caravan came by, and I bought all of their wood and booze with cut gems. And there was a lot of wood, there. So now you might be like: GEMS?! BUT YOU'RE PLAYING KOBOLDS. Apparently I found a number of tetrahedrite veins. On top of each other, layer after layer. I got into z-level -17 before they ran out. So not only did I have a stupid amount of tetrahedrite, but I had gems out of the wazoo. So I proceeded to take every migrant I had (20 or so) and used the wood I bought to make the world's first platoon of fully armored kobolds. Dressed in everything from silver to bone, they probably looked hilarious. Seriously, a small lizard thing the size of a child in mismatched armor? I wouldn't be afraid. And neither were the spiders. The three forest spiders that apparently travelled all the way into the arctic to ambush me as I got a migrant wave, slaughtering every kobold i had. And the name, Dismalcombats? Yeah, well it was true to it's name. I only killed one spider, and that was due to it standing on my wooden drawbridge, which I promptly used to smash it into the ceiling. Three hundred trillion webs and spider bites later, I had a fortress that looked like it had been thoroughly destroyed.

GODDAMN SPIDERS.

And that is the story of Ontanoebinibi. Thought I should share.