Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cthulhu Mythos Mod [34.11.0.07]  (Read 29087 times)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cthulhu Mythos Mod [34.11.0.07]
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:25:20 pm »

Cthulhu Mythos Mod

Download

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

--H.P. Lovecraft

This is a total conversion mod with the aim of recreating the Cthulhu Mythos in Dwarf Fortress. The scene is North America in the 1920s, the most typical setting of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. You will found a new city, or take on the role of a lone investigator, but in either case you must survive the nameless horrors that prowl the dark corners of the earth.

Features
  • Megabeasts, creatures, plants and civilizations from the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Unique weapons and equipment for every civilization
  • New secrets
  • New North American animals and plants
  • New speech phrases and art symbols
  • New music
  • Reworked good and evil regions

Civilizations

Humans: The playable civilization. Post-war America's economy is booming and you are going to settle a new town. Real-life crops have been added, with real-life growing times, so you might want to make large fields. Salesmen will visit you every summer and winter. Several workshops have been added to make it easier for those who wish to build a city above ground, such as the sawmill and the concrete plant.

Cultists: Degenerate worshippers of nameless gods. They dwell in the swamps and will come to steal sacrificial victims from you.

Elder things: These ancient beings have towering fortresses in the arctic regions. They will come to study you and, if necessary, destroy you.

Mi-go: Intergalactic travellers that perform secret mining operations on the Earth. They welcome open-minded humans to join them.

The Great Race of Yith: These beings can transfer their consciousnesses across time and space, and possess almost infinite knowledge about the past and the future. They prefer to keep to themselves.

Important Worldgen Info

You should always use advanced world generation when creating a world with this mod. Otherwise you will get a lot of non-Mythos things such as vampires, werewolves, and so on. The worldgen file has been modified to remove the non-Mythos stuff. You might want to lower the End Year parameter when generating a world; in long worldgens megabeasts tend to die out.

NOTE

This mod is still in the early stages of its development, and there are a lot of things to add. Suggestions are very welcome!

Last version for DF 0.31.25

Credits

Thanks to Ahrimahn for research help.
Thanks to Deon for the idea of using vocalizations on intelligent creatures.
Thanks to Jake for the guns mod.
Thanks to Liber celi for testing input.
Thanks to whoever invented the concept of the Sawmill workshop. If you know who was the original inventor, please tell me so I can put the name in the credits!
Thanks to whoever was the first to think of the Display Case.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:17:34 am by Lovechild »
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Mythos Mod [31.25.0.01]
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:08 pm »

Changelog

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:17:01 am by Lovechild »

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:39:57 pm »

Im interested on this :D just following

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:53:46 am »

which eldritch abominations do you plan to put in, There are a few monsters that DF really couldn't portray faithfully like the colour out of space.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:11:30 am »

Actually, the colour out of space is already in, as good regions. It needs some expanding but the basis is there. There is an 'Old one' megabeast shaped like Cthulhu, and I plan on adding shoggoths, deep ones, the great race of Yith... lots of stuff. If you have any favorite monstrosities, let me know and I'll put them in :)

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »

Wait wait wait I was already in the process of making this mod! >_< Oh well looks like you finished first, I will take a look at it when i get home

EDIT: I have the raws made for a bunch of the great old ones
Cthulhu, Tsathagua, Azathoth, Hastur,Nyarlathotep, Yig, and Shubb-niggurath
I also have almost ready the cult of Hastur, Nyarlathotep, and Yig. Nyarlathotep can rise as a leader in world gen.
As for monsters I have: Nightgaunts,Byahkee,shambler from the stars and dark young of shubb-niggurath
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:51:12 pm by Starmantis »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »

Ooh, awesome! Let me have a look!

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Mythos Mod [31.25.0.02]
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:15:52 am »

Version 0.02 is up. Two winged things from the abyss have been added, as well as a Geologist's Laboratory that lets you use the strange mineral for something.

I've discovered a weird bug with the ghoul cavern civilization; a ghoul that kills one of your humans will become friendly. I've looked over the raws but I don't know what is causing this, their entity and behaviour tags are the same as those of the vanilla animalmen.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:42 am »

Is there any way I could help out? I'm new to modding but I'm a huge lovecraft fan.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:49 am »

Yes, I need quotes from Lovecraft's texts describing the various creatures. When I'm adding creatures I go through the stories at http://www.hplovecraft.com/ looking for descriptions, but if you could do that it would save me a bit of time.

These creatures are probably going in soon, so I need descriptive quotes on them:

Deep one
Shoggoth
The Great Race of Yith
Dhole/Bhole

Also, I'd love to hear suggestions for more monsters. The Lovecraftian creatures that are already in can be found in the raws files creature_standard_cthulhu, creature_subterranean_cthulhu and creature_next_underground_cthulhu. I've read a lot of Lovecraft's stories, but not all, so there might be creatures I'm not aware of... and I wouldn't want to miss them.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:58:52 am »

Is it possible to lower the rate of fire on projectile weapons/have them fire shotgun blasts in order to simulate the bolt action rifles, revolvers, and double barrel shotguns that the townspeople would have acess to?

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:26:13 pm »

Rates of fire can't be changed, sadly. That's why the Tommy gun uses "bursts of bullets" as ammunition.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:58 am »

Deep Ones

"... They hopped irregularly sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four... Their croaking, baying voices held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked."

A Deep One is an ocean dwelling being which vaguely resembles a hybrid of fish and frog. It has gulls but can also breathe air, and can survive on land indefinaely. the Deep one is usually a bluish-green color with a pale belly. On land a Deep One may walk on four limbs or on its hind legs only. It swims with webbed flipper-like paws. It emits a nauseating fish stench.

Directly from S. Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters

Dhole
A dohole is a colossal wormlike organism found on certain. A light avoider this burrower is rarely seen. The Dole can squirt a noxious acid slime from its mouth.
It should be a megabeast seeing as its head is the size of a dragon.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:46:04 am by Ahrimahn »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 08:58:04 am »

Thanks! I think I can even get the nauseating fish stench through a vocalization hack, we'll see... (EDIT: apparently not, too bad)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:15:44 am by Lovechild »

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 10:35:23 am »

How do youn plan on working with the Great Race of Yith? Possessed humans trying to find the secrets of the world or strange mood type things?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5