Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Board Gaming  (Read 19429 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Board Gaming
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2011, 06:55:57 am »

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Dwarf-Kings-Hold/Product/Dwarf-Kings-Hold-Dead-Rising.html

anybody played this? Closest you will get to DF reclaim the boardgame. I've read some reviews and it's generally got mixed praise, good game, but with lower quality components than its more costly rivals; space hulk and descent.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2011, 11:45:09 am »

Hadn't heard about that one. Does look pretty cool, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2011, 12:56:39 pm »

So, what games do you guys like?
The most brilliant boardgame I've played is civilization the board game It beats the computer game hands down. It takes around 4 hours to play but it's epic in depth and tactical options. Usually, after playing a game of this with my friends we'd still discuss the result for days after. (what if I had gone for that technology instead?)

I've played a lot of boardgames, there are some obscure hard to find boardgames that are great fun, Merchant of Venus, for example. But you have to be very lucky to find a copy.  Another more well known, but fun game is Roborally.

I've recently played a lot of Carcassonne,  (it makes a good two player game, and has a lot of expansions to keep things interesting)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2011, 02:26:21 pm »

The old Civ? I wasn't that impressed by it, but it was a while ago, and my view may be pointed by the powergamer/gloater who was teaching us to play.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2011, 02:32:30 pm »

The old Civ? I wasn't that impressed by it, but it was a while ago, and my view may be pointed by the powergamer/gloater who was teaching us to play.

I just found out that there are at least two civ board games,  the one I played is the newer one, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame (2002), not the 1980 game that predated the computer game. It it's quite open-ended, you can win by trading, conquest, technology, or a mix of strategies, none of which seem overpowered. The way the tech tree is handled in the game is brilliant, players can research technologies that are available to all the players immediately when they are researched, but the player who first researched it has a "patent" (for lack of a better term) meaning that if others use that tech, they have to pay the owner money. So you can research gunpowder, then start a war, and force other players to buy your weapons. The way the tech tree is discovered changes from game to game, so every game feels different.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:40:10 pm by Bralbaard »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »

I havn't got to play a lot of boardgames that weren't... children or family board games (with ultra-simple rules) to really have a preference.

Though I haev a dislike for REALLY cut-throat free for alls. Mostly because I either lose or I am the only one who plays seriously.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:28 pm »

I just found out that there are at least two civ board games,  the one I played is the newer one, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame (2002), not the 1980 game that predated the computer game. It it's quite open-ended, you can win by trading, conquest, technology, or a mix of strategies, none of which seem overpowered. The way the tech tree is handled in the game is brilliant, players can research technologies that are available to all the players immediately when they are researched, but the player who first researched it has a "patent" (for lack of a better term) meaning that if others use that tech, they have to pay the owner money. So you can research gunpowder, then start a war, and force other players to buy your weapons. The way the tech tree is discovered changes from game to game, so every game feels different.

Hmm, I think I played the 2002 one, there's also a 2010 one from FFG that I haven't played, I'm not sure how that one was. Was the one you played the one with a random resource token thing on each territory? And there were plague tokens that killed everyone in a certain radius depending on how far in the game you were?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »

It was, you can get unlucky with those plague tokens, it's usually best to quickly explore and get rid of those while they are still relatively harmless, there's lots of other incentives to do so as well.

I can imagine that that would be a bad experience. The game has a bit of a learning curve (though nowhere as steep as DF :-), so a veteran player could easily take advantage of that. A friend of mine bought the game, so none of us had any experience when we started out. You certainly do develop better strategies after a few games. 

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2011, 04:28:15 pm »

The old Sid Meiers Civ boardgame is really nice, but the new one is fun aswell.

Oh and btw., you won't have to be lucky to get a copy of Merchant of Venus soon, in fact you can expect to have there is too much Merchant of Venus soon :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2011, 12:34:30 am »

So how do you guys buy your board games?

I have a REALLY awsome store, that I fear will go out of buisness eventually (as I never see too many people there), that I go to...

But Amazon.ca actively attempts to rip you off with its prices.

For example by 70 dollar boardgame was being sold at Amazon.ca for 130 dollars, and Amazon.com (that I can't order from) for 80 dollars.

It frustrates me because the SECOND that store closes I won't have a non-rip-off source of books, boardgames, and cards.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2011, 02:07:56 am »

Merchant of Venus reprint?! Exciting. I had contemplated a build but 400 parts is a lot.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2011, 11:50:15 am »

I get my stuff from coolstuffinc.com, although there are a bunch of other very similar sites. I usually buy them 3+ in the same order to get the free shipping on $100 orders. That makes it cheaper than pretty much anywhere else. I've found the prices at brick and mortar stores to be so much higher that I don't really consider supporting it :(

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

You might try ordering direct from Hobbytown USA. That's where I used to buy most of my materials before a) they basically became a retail outlet store in name only and b) I found a better mom&pop store to buy from. You might still be paying a premium for buying through them.....but certainly not +150% cost.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2011, 02:13:09 pm »

there are laws in place that complicates orders from the US.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2011, 03:23:45 pm »

Been playing Pandemic. It's deceptively hard, and great fun if you're into coop games.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13