Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frozen plants appearing as big red letters.  (Read 3254 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Frozen plants appearing as big red letters.
« on: December 27, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

Not really a big deal, but I just noticed some odd behavior with frozen saplings and shrubs.

I dumped a little excess water off the side of a cliff down onto the plants below, and after it settled into a nice little puddle it suddenly turned cold enough and the water froze into ice. Later once the ice thawed, the saplings and shrubs remained but are now showing up as big red letters.

The "muddy shrub" is a big red V, and the "muddy sapling" (no longer displays the type of sapling) shows up as a big red S.

Also, gathering the shrubs didn't give any plants, yet all the nearby un-frozen shrubs yielded whip vines. I assume they are losing their type when frozen. I've yet to see what will happen when and if the saplings turn into trees.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen plants appearing as big red letters.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

The symbols do not match up with anything ive seen before. Normally there should simply be the dead tree/shrub symbol which is the regular one only brown/grey.

Probably just an oversight.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

I've had this in 33a, the problem is that they don't disappear, and stand out!  Build a floor over them, I guess  :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

Yeah, that's what happens when there's vegetation in the tile but the corresponding information has been deleted (probably when it froze).  Just need to get them to sync up correctly.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

Mmm, I had a similar thing occur in 33d, when a murky pool spontaneously appeared on top of the entrance to a cave. A tree appeared in the area where the cave entrance originally was, but it had no type, displayed as a 'T', and couldn't be cut down. I had a few mods installed, so I wasn't sure if it was due to them, but hearing that other people are experiencing similar things makes me think that perhaps it was a bug after all.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

I had it when ice walls sprung up over my fort. Once the ice had melted, there were big red Vs and Ss. The tiles were labelled as Dead Muddy Sapling, and Dead Muddy Shrub, then it changed to Muddy Sappling and Muddy Shrub later (I'm pretty sure of that). I built farms over the top to remove them, then removed the farms.