Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Multiworld Madness II. One Long Darn Corridor (Turn XXII) (game thread)  (Read 30787 times)

Dermonster

  • Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 04:34:57 pm »

Derek scowls. "Not so simple. Remember, though they are all animals, they have a much greater degree of sapience than say, a cow. They can understand human speech, and communicate effectively given time. They have much more feelings and memory. These aren't simple animals, and you will need their trust for them to follow you."

He smirks. "So in short terms, friendship is power."
Logged
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.

"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.

Frelock

  • Bay Watcher
  • Competent Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »

Frederick smiled as the bird flew away.  "And...it's...outta here!" he thinks to himself.  Checking to make sure that Alix is alright, he then listens to Derek's explanations.  "Interesting, shouldn't be too hard to recruit some allies to our cause then.  Simply defeat them, capture them, and then befriend them."  Glancing at the balls that Derek hands to him, he asks, "So...how does one go about using these Pokeballs?"

Assist Jay in his endeavor.
Logged
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Dermonster

  • Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:07 pm »

"Ah! A valid question. You capture pokemon via two common methods. The first is to obtain a strong rapport with a wild pokemon, become it's friend, and it will gladly accompany you and willingly let a pokeball capture it. The second is much faster, and it is to weaken a pokemon until it cannot escape the ball. Pokemon are still animalistic creatures, and will think of you as a 'leader of the pack'. Then you either gain it's trust or make it fear you until it's too scared to leave. I do not recommend the second one."

Derek leans back. "Of course there are variances, and these methods are just the most common ones that one may feel safest using on most wild pokemon. The act of capturing itself, is just to enlarge a pokeball by pressing the button and throwing it at the pokemon. You release captured pokemon by throwing the ball into the air. I cannot begin to discuss the mechanics of such devices, as we are obviously not from around here and most of this is from memory and theories."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:17:21 am by dermonster »
Logged
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.

"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.

Zako

  • Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:10 pm »

"Well, at least it's gone. We should get to looking for whatever we are meant to get. I'm guessing that it's something special, so maybe someone in a town should know about it." Jake replies, looking over the group. His gaze lingers on the bikes. "I wonder if I can fix those? Let's find out!"

Fix the bikes with my tools.
Logged

Kashyyk

  • Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2011, 10:43:08 am »

Coughing slightly from an unexpected hug by a large, territorial bird, Alix took a few moments longer to come to a decision.
"Don't worry Fre, I'm alright. Oh and Derek, be nice to Caty!" Noticing his questioning look she continues, "That's my nickname for him"
And smiling brightly, she gets up, and walks to the edge of the forest. Once there, she intends to sit just inside the trees and wait for any curious pokemon to appear, and trusting in her innate friendliness she will try to befriend them.

Go to the edge of the forest, and wait for a pokemon to come along. Then befriend and capture it.
Logged

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »


=== TURN VII ===

= CLAWS ENCOUNTERS =



Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)


   After Derek finishes the insightful lecture, he hands out some of his Pokeballs, so that each of his teammates ends up with a pair. This leaves him six, and, happy with his division skills, Derek turns to his new would-be partner. Caterpie, or "Caty", as Alix insisted he call her, still seems scared, so he tries to comfort it with soothing words and gentle stroking of its back. Surprisingly, this has a completely opposite effect. Caty comes to its senses, and, seeing a large face bearing down on it, does the only thing a Caterpie is really good at.
   A second later, it is fleeing from a very upset man in purple robes and a very stylish full face mask of a mummy made of sticky web string. Squeeing in distress, Caty darts towards Alix and crawls back up onto her shoulder. Derek tears off the webs with one arm, simultaneously raising a pokeball with the other, but stops once he sees where his target is. Alix smiles. "See, Derek? You said it yourself. Friendship is power. I was the one who found it, so it is mine." She turns to Caty. "Will you be mine?" Caty leans a little sideways, lowering its head as if unsure. Alix takes out a pokeball and enlarges it. "Come on, it will be fun." With that, she takes the caterpillar off her shoulder, puts it on the ground and gently bonks it on the head with the pokeball. The ball instantly opens, shooting out a bright red beam that seems to consume Caty and suck it back in as the ball closes and falls to the ground. It wobbles a little, making an odd noise as the button on its front pulses with a red light, but then emits a "ting" and lays inert. Derek is slightly disappointed, but what's done is done. "Oh well. Congratulations, Alix, on your first caught Pokemon. Now granted, it's just a Caterpie, but it's a start." With that he turns away and goes back to sort his scattered possessions.

   In the meantime, Jake has started working on the two bicycles Jay brought in. The poor things are in terrible shape, it is highly doubtful that even a proper repair shop could fix them without spare parts. However, Jake thinks, there is just enough surviving parts between them to make one good bike. I think I can do it.. Armed with nothing but a screwdriver, pliers, a pocket knife and his own raw strength, Jake begins the operation.

   Unaware of what is being done to his two bikes, Jay wanders in the tall grass in search of wild pokemon. He tries to make as much noise as possible, trying to attract things to him, but it is all for naught - in all the time he wanders, he doesn't see a single anima-er, pokemon. In frustration, Jay turns back. He walks for several minutes when he suddenly realizes something is wrong. He can't see the characteristic bulge of the large hill. The smoke column from the wreckage has dissipated, and now all folds in the terrain seem the same. The area he approaches is surrounded by dark, gloomy forests, which he so far doesn't feel like entering. Jay is forced to face the facts. He is completely lost.

   Alix lets Caty out of the pokeball, and walks away from the hill as it sits on her shoulder. Near the edge of a nearby grove, she sits down on the ground and simply bides her time, waiting for something to happen upon her. The wait isn't long. Fairly soon Alix sees movement in the grass not far from her, and takes out her Pokedex in anticipation. A small grey muzzle pokes out from the grass, sniffs the air, and hides again. A minute later, a large purple field mouse - or, what looks like a large purple field mouse - scurries out of the growth, sees Alix, and stops. Alix aims the Pokedex again and pushes a button. In response, the Pokedex recites: "A Forest Pokemon, Rattata. It likes cheese, nuts, fruits, and berries. It also comes out into open fields to steal food from stupid travelers." Alix frowns. "Not very nice." She looks back at Rattata. "But kinda cute. Come here, little Rattata!" But as soon as Alix moves to approach, the Rattata scurries off back into the grass. It seems they're very cautious of people. Alix spends a few more uneventful minutes near the edge of the grove, but the Rattata doesn't come back.

   Jake finally completes his operation. His hunch proved correct. Out of the remains of two bicycles, he had successfully built one that is completely functional. He had to discard two mangled wheels and the worst of the two frames, but with a little strength and a lot of persistence, he repaired the other frame and attached everything else to it. In the end, Jake even managed to salvage a few spare parts, including an extra chain. He shows his creation to Derek. Derek approves. "Great, he says, now build a cart and you can drive the lot of us. Heh."

   Frederick's patience begins to run out. He's been circling the hill for... hell, he doesn't even have a way to tell time! But Fre is very definitely tired of wading through the grass. In all this time, he hadn't encountered a single... wait, what was that?

   Suddenly, something growls right next to him! Frederick's reflexes allow him to react in time to avoid the swipe of a powerful claw, and he quickly backpedals out of the grass. But the creature still has its eyes on him, and follows him onto the clearing where Frederick can finally see what it is. A very large, red and white cat-like pokemon with sharp black claws and yellow eyes. It moves menacingly on all fours, preparing to pounce. Though he lacks a Pokedex to see the details, Frederick sees right away that this one is going to be trouble. He readies his two by four. "Alright then. Bring it on!"



Jake Marshall uncovers a skill!

> Bicycle Repairman: You have a knack for repairing man-powered vehicles of wheel and chain. Whenever you're working on something that is, or was, a bicycle, your DEX is increased 50%, rounded up.


==========
=== STATUS ===
(click images for status pages)
==========
Locations:

==========
Characters:

==========
Enemies:

==========
Comments in the discussion thread, please.

Statuses updated in a moment....ish.

Jay Kayell, why does it take me so long to update your picture? I have no idea. Perhaps it's the beard. :P

Edit: forgot Jake's skill.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:29:24 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Logged

Dermonster

  • Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Claws Encounters (VII) (game thread)
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »

Doing a slight brood over his backpack, organizing the potions and poke balls to more accessible pockets, Derek immediately hears the shout caused by the zangooses attack on Frelock. He immediately runs toward the battle, and when he arrives ten seconds later he starts shouting advice, hesitant to enter the melee unless absolutely necessary. "Are you okay? Good, try strafing to the left! Come at him from the natural blind spot! Try to get a few good hits in, this is just the kind of powerhouse we need! Duck!" And the like.

Analyze with Pokedex and give strategic advise from afar(Bonus to Frelocks action if I get a good roll), throw a Pokeball if it seems weakened enough.
Logged
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.

"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.

Jay Kayell

  • Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Claws Encounters (VII) (game thread)
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 02:00:03 pm »

"Motherfucking fuck," Jay mumbles upon realizing that he is lost. And without a proper weapon, too. The smartest thing to do would be to find his way back to the group, safety in numbers and all that. With some luck he might even stumble upon something useful, not that he has had much luck lately.

Try to get back to group, keep an eye out for anything useful on the way.
Logged
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Kashyyk

  • Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Claws Encounters (VII) (game thread)
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »

Also hearing the noise by the melee, Alix sprints towards the commotion, holding gently onto Caty. On arrival, she quickly scans the situation, and notices Fre will need as much help as he can get against the dire badg-goose cat.
"This is your chance Caty! Use String Shot!!"


Caty will use String Shot on the Zangoose, while Alix waits for the opportune moment to thwack it with her Wrench
Logged

Frelock

  • Bay Watcher
  • Competent Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Claws Encounters (VII) (game thread)
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »

"I like your attitude, cat.  Let us battle and find out what your true strength is.  Should you prove strong enough, I am in need of some more companions.  But enough talk, Defend Yourself!"

Strike at the Zangoose.
Logged
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Zako

  • Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Claws Encounters (VII) (game thread)
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »

"Fantastic! That worked out well." Jake said in approval as he stood back and looked over the bike. Turning, he noticed that Jay was missing. "Jay? JAY! Where'd you go man?"

Call out to Jay and try to help him get back.
Logged

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Claws Encounters (VII) (game thread)
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 01:15:30 pm »


=== TURN VIII ===

= NOT VERY EFFECTIVE =



Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)


   The fierce growls tear through the silent air around the hill, alerting the Seekers of the situation. Within seconds, Alix is on her feet and running through the grass towards the fight. Pushing herself to the limit, she runs onto the clearing to see Frederick facing off with a very angry Zangoose. Man and Pokemon stare at each other. The man is the first to act. Frederick takes a breath, steps forward, and takes a mighty swing, aiming at the Pokemon's head! But instead of landing a hit, the two-by-four suddenly slips out of Fre's hand, and harmlessly sails over the Zangoose, flying into the tall grass. Frederick takes a step back. "Uh oh." Seeing his enemy weaponless, the Pokemon prepares to strike.

   But before it takes another step, Alix finally catches her breath and sends out her own combatant. "Caty! Use String Shot!" The little caterpillar obediently leaps from its master's shoulder, lands a few meters away from the Zangoose, and, before the Pokemon can react, sprays it with a dense weave of sticky fibers! The Zangoose is constrained by the string! It attempts to tear itself loose, but its efforts are for naught.

   Finally, Derek arrives on the scene as well. Weighed down by his backpack, he could not run as fast, but he is able to quickly assess the situation and give out some insightful comments. "Wow it looks big. Okay, great job immobilizing it Alix, now we have to move in and pummel it into submission! Watch out for the claws though! Get something with a long reach and smack it!"


   Back at the hill, Jake, oblivious or ignorant of the fight nearby, is concerned with the location of Jay Kayell. The man went off into the wilderness without means of survival, and he's been gone for a little too long. Scrambling to the very top of the hill, Jake looks around. The fields and hills are full of movement, but soon he sees something that doesn't belong. A black humanlike figure roaming near a distant forest. If it's Jay, Jake thinks, he's gone way too far. He could be lost. He considers shouting, but thinks better of it considering the distance involved. "If he really is lost, all he needs is a guiding light." Jake's eyes happen upon the charred remains of the dirigible. "Or, as the case would be, a guiding smoke."

   Jay Kayell spends several more minutes walking in a straight line, but sees no change in scenery. A forest here, a hill there, they all look the same. No sign of a road or a stream anywhere. Jay sighs, and keeps on walking. Sooner or later I'm bound to get somewhere, he thinks. If something else doesn't get me first. He walks for a while longer, casually looking around for anything at all useful, when suddenly a spot of bright red among the greenery catches his eye. Curious, Jay walks up to the item. It seems to be one of those Pokeballs Derek was handing out. This one's already enlarged though, and is kinda just sitting amidst the grass. Prime trap material, Jay thinks, but the curiosity gets the better of him, and he cautiosly picks the ball up. Nothing happens. Suddenly, it pops open with a bright flash, releasing a beam of energy that solidifies into... a sheathed knife? A big knife, at that. Practically a sword. Jay struggles a little to remember the name. Something-to. Kanto? Punto? Pinto? Pah. Whatever it's called, it's a damn fine blade. Jay sheathes it again and fixes it to his belt. The weapon makes him feel a little safer, and the extra pokeball is a bonus. Jay sighs and keeps on walking. He's still lost. "Damn. If only I could see where... hey, that smoke wasn't there before."



Jake Marshall uncovers a skill!

> Waldo-matic: You can notice very slight details. When looking for an item or person from a fixed view, your PER score is increased 50%, rounded up.



==========
=== STATUS ===
(click images for status pages)
==========
Locations:

==========
Characters:

==========
Enemies:

==========
Comments in the discussion thread, please.

Jay Kayell is no longer lost, but returning to the hill will still take a little time.
Also, fights will go much quicker if we do several attacks per turn.

Jay Kayell

  • Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Not Very Effective (VIII) (game thread)
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 01:32:10 pm »

"No smoke without fire, as they say," Jay mumbles to himself. The only burning thing he has seen recently is the dirigible, and that's exactly where he wants to go, so he starts moving towards the plume of smoke. If he's really lucky he might even find more weapons on the way, one can never have too many weapons.

Walk towards smoke, keep an eye out for danger or loot.
Logged
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Dermonster

  • Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Not Very Effective (VIII) (game thread)
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 02:54:48 pm »

Derek narrows his eyes. This didn't look good. Fre had lost his weapon, and Alex was somewhat tired and thus was less useful. He calculated the odds silently. Even with the aid of Caty's string shot, the result did not please him. He couldn't just stand here if they were to win effectively. He nodded to himself. He dropped the backpack, shedding excess weight, but kept a ball with him. He started to run forward.

Rush toward the 2x4 on the ground, pick it up and slam the Zangoose right on the head with the flat side in a running blow, then hit it in its shoulder with the nail side. Then Pokeball (After everyone else goes).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:38:38 pm by dermonster »
Logged
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.

"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.

Zako

  • Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Not Very Effective (VIII) (game thread)
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »

Jake took a sigh of relief as he stood back, putting his firemaking tools back into his pack. "That should do the trick. Now wha- OH CRAP! The others!" Realising that he had left them and heard sounds of fighting, he ran off to the fight, pulling out his knife. Maybe he could sneak up on what they were fighting?

Head towards the fight and sneak attack the zangoose!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11