Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Multiworld Madness II. One Long Darn Corridor (Turn XXII) (game thread)  (Read 51854 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. A what now? (III) (game thread)
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 11:21:33 am »

=== TURN IV ===

= MY DEAR RIGIBLE, =

Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

As one, the whole group moves toward the wreck of the dirigible, attempting to salvage at least something from the remains. Unfortunately, there isn't much left to salvage. The material of the balloon has already burned away, leaving only a few bare metal twigs of its frame. The gondola, a minivan-sized wooden cabin, is shattered and nearly completely burnt. Frederick delivers a mighty kick to the surviving part of the gondola, turning it over and away from most of the fire, which allows everyone else to swarm in and begin search and rescue operations.

Upon closer inspection, the cabin - or at least the half of it that remained - turns out to be empty. Derek and Frederick search it very thoroughly, but while there are several compartments, none of them contain anything. The only found item is a slightly burnt two by two plank with a nail in it, which Frederick dislodged from an internal doorframe with his own forehead. Jay Kayell stumbled - literally - on an empty backpack lying right next to the wreckage. As the fires died down, Alix brought herself to look amidst the burnt planks of the rest of the wreck, but only found a bent iron wrench, thoroughly covered in soot, and a large pile of twisted metal that seems to have at some point been a gas burner. If there was somebody on the dirigible when it crashed, they all survived and walked away.

Suddenly, Jake Marshall turns up with a heavy travel bag and a happy grin. "You people are searching in the wrong damn place! Use your heads! If whoever flew this knew they were going down, they'd start throwing things overboard to keep flying. I found this just down the hill, next to that big swath of tall grass. There's probably more in that same direction."
   The travel bag obviously belonged to an adventurous person. Inside is a bedroll, a bottle of water, a pouch with simple tools (among these a pocket knife) and firemaking implements, and two small balls of unknown purpose. The balls are split by a line into two equal halves, one red and one white, with a small button in the center. Frederick remarks that the tiny balls look awfully similar to the first pictogram shown on the screen before they were transported here. Jake concurs. "Well, if it was a clue, I be damned if I understand what was the use of it. Either there's a lot more to these than I realize, or the clues were about something else entirely."

A shriek of an unknown bird tears through the silence. The fires consume the last of the wrecked dirigible and disappear, leaving only smoke.

==========
=== STATUS ===
(click images for status pages)
==========
Locations:

==========
Characters:

==========
Comments in the discussion thread, please.

I'll update the pictures later, again. The statuses should be fine... I think.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:24:59 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. My dear rigible, (IV) (game thread)
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 11:58:26 am »

Oh god... OH GOD. Don't tell me this world is what I think it is...

Lead the others down the hill to where the other bags are and help them search for useful stuff.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 01:06:55 pm »

Jay grunts angrily at the lack of weapons in the dirigible, but still holds onto hope that some may have been dumped overboard before the crash.

Follow Jake down the hill, look for anything of use.
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 02:31:06 pm »

"Hrm... Jake, give me those balls. They look slightly familiar, pictogram or not, and I may be able to deduce their purpose even if I'm wrong. We should still continue to look for more in the meantime."

Grab one or two balls from Jake and experiment with them. Walk with the group and keep an eye out occasionally.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 04:56:28 pm »

"I also have the distinctive feeling of familiarity..." Alix comments. And so, swinging her wrench she follows the gang an eye out for anything dangerous looking.

Alix follows the group, watching for enemies and useful dumped equipment

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 06:21:23 pm »

Frederick hoists the two by four over his shoulder and lets out a sigh.  "Perhaps you're right, Jake.  Let's keep on going."

Continue to follow group.  This time, try shouting out to anyone out there.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 07:06:32 am »

=== TURN V ===

= A WILD WHATCHAMACALLIT APPEARS =

Following Jake's advice (and Jake himself), the Seekers proceed down the hill, keeping a watchful eye out for things useful or dangerous. Some birds seem to be flying far in the sky, but no other living thing can be seen. Frederick shouts out several times, calling to unseen, but hopefully present survivors, but gets no response. Derek can't stop thinking about Jake's balls (the ones he found, not... oh get your mind out of the gutter), but is hesitant to approach him after the previous failure with the hat. To his surprise though, Jake easily gives up one of the odd balls, allowing Derek to freely experiment with it. Just as he thought, the tiny marble-sized ball could expand into a larger version of itself, the size of a tennis ball, at the push of the little button. And could shrink back, too. He's had suspicions about the place they were in, but it seemed too wacky to be true. This ball is the proof Derek needs, but so far he keeps his thoughts to himself.

The group finally approaches the grass field where Jake Marshall had found his bag. The sounds of nature surround the Seekers, a cool breeze sends gentle waves rolling across the grass. The scene is serene and soothing, but Alix feels uneasy. Something about the grass seems strangely foreboding to her, but she brushes the thought aside. It's just grass, after all. Still, Alix hefts the improvised bludgeon in her hands, holding it at the ready. Feeling no present danger, Jake is the first to happily plunge into the wide swath of chest-tall plantlife. Exchanging brief looks, the rest of the group follows suit.

Fanning out to cover the most space, the Seekers soon lose sight of one another, the folds of terrain and ridiculously tall grass obscuring their view. Jake manages to lose sight of even the hill, and is hopelessly lost until he wades out onto a well-trodden path. Quickly orienting himself by own sense of direction, he chooses the right way to go and is soon back at the hill. He doesn't find anything, however. Jay and Derek are a lot luckier. Derek strides out of the grass holding a large backpack, complete with a bedroll and a slightly dented kettle dangling from its side. Jay emerges soon afterward, dragging behind him the mangled remains of two bicycles. As the trio sits down to examine the contents of Derek's backpack, Alix walks out of the grass as well, happily humming an odd tune. She presents her finds - a vial of blue liquid with a spray nozzle, and some sort of brightly colored postcard-sized PDA with a folding screen. Derek is incredibly interested in the PDA, even momentarily forgetting his new backpack, but as he turns toward Alix, he suddenly stops. "Alix," he says, "there's a very goddamn large caterpillar on your left shoulder. I'm not kidding." A little stunned, Alix slowly turns her head left. A very large, bright green and yellow caterpillar with stunningly large black eyes and red antennae leans forward from her shoulder and looks back at her. "Squee?" Alix freezes in place, unsure how to react.

At this exact moment, Frederick crashes through the grass, trips, and falls to the ground in front of everyone. Before anyone can say anything, he rolls over and points up into the sky. "Look out, BIRD!" Suddenly, a rather large brown bird with yellow-red plumage and sharp claws dives down from the direction of the sun, passing mere inches above everyones' heads and screeching something incomprehensible before pulling upwards and turning back for another dive. The green caterpillar leaps from Alix's shoulder and hides itself under Derek's backpack. Frederick gets up, and holds his nailed plank at the ready. "Look alive people, here it comes again! It's one damn pissed off bird, chased me all the way out here! If you got suggestions on dealing with it, I'm open to them."

The bird screeches again and goes into another dive. The battle is on!

==========
=== STATUS ===
==========
Locations:

==========
Characters:

==========
Enemies:

==========

I'll update the statuses as soon as I get to them. Damn dacha with its damn truckloads of work.

No stats for the bird, because I'm still not sure how to go about them. For now, treat it like a bird.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:02:05 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. A wild whatchamacallit appears! (V) (game thread)
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 07:15:12 am »

"Holy mother of fuck I cannot believe that we ended up here of all places!" Derek shouts, running for cover. "Strategy! I can't fight melee worth a damn, but you guys gotta weaken it, don't kill it! I'll explain when this is over."

Grab the backpack, the PDA, the weird bug thing, and dive for cover. Search through the backpack for more ball-things.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:12:47 am by dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:31 am »

"Woah! Shit! Everybody run for cover!" Jake starts to run, but stops, an idea forming. "Drive it to the wreckage! We can tangle it in the bars!"

Try to lure the bird into the wreckage and tangle it in the bars. If it does't go for me, find a weapon of some sort in the wreckage!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2011, 11:25:35 am »

"Hey! My bug-thing!" Alix cries, chasing after Derek. Glancing back at the Bird thing, she rams the bottle in her pocket and opens the PDA. Making sure it's on, she then points it at the bird, mashing useful looking buttons and shouting various words.

Pocket the Bottle, whilst backing away. And try to use the PDA to get some help in the current situation. All the time whilst keeping an eye on the bird.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 12:49:42 pm »

Jay looks up at the strange bird, then down at the bicycles, then back to the bird. A wide grin forms on his face as an idea pops into his head.

"Batter up, you son of a bitch!" he yells at the bird.

Grab one of the broken bikes, use it to smash bird.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 01:59:30 pm »

Seeing Jay hoist up a bike, Frederick mirrors his grin and grabs his plank with both hands.  Calling out to Jay, he taunts, "First one to get a home run wins.  Loser buys drinks at the next town!"  With that, he shouts at the bird, "Come and get some!"

Two-by-four to bird's face.  Call out a heroic battle cry while I'm at it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:10:31 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 03:28:40 pm »

=== TURN VI ===

= FEATHER FALL =

As the bird glides down on its attack vector, Jay Kayell and Frederick take up defensive positions. Jay, lacking a weapon, picks up one of the broken bikes and hefts it like a giant flyswatter. Suddenly, Jake runs out in front of them, waving his hands. "Hey! Over here bird-brains!" He continues running, apparently trying to lure the bird away towards the mess of metal bars near the wreckage, but it doesn't work. The bird continues rapidly approaching. Derek grabs everything he can reach and throws himself to the ground, putting the height of a small patch of thick brushery between him and the approaching claws. He puts the scared caterpillar onto the ground near him, and begins furiously digging through the backpack in search of something.

In the meantime, Alix suddenly has a brainstorm. Something clicks in her head as she opens the little PDA. "Hey, I know this. It's ridiculous, but I know this." Lining up the eye of the tiny camera on the back of the device with the approaching bird, she confidently pushes one of the many buttons. The PDA's display lights up, and starts showing a series of close-up pictures of the bird, while a calm electronic voice begins to read out: "Pidgeotto, an evolved form of Pidgey. It is armed with sharp claws and dives from the sky to capture its prey. Unlike the more gentle Pidgey, Pidgeotto can be more dangerous. Approach with extreme caution." The device continues to display information about this Pidgeotto, making Alix momentarily space out and forget that said "dangerous" bird is currently approaching rapidly. "Hey, this is cool! I wonder if- *THWACK*

As soon as Jay and Frederick saw the bird head towards Alix, they tried their best to intercept it. But it was too darn quick. Jay's mighty bicycle swing came in too fast, missing the bird entirely and very nearly causing him to stray into the path of Frederick's much better aimed attack. The wooden plank connected only partially, tearing a patch of feathers out of Pidgeotto's flank and right wing, but it was just enough to slightly throw the bird off target. It recoiled in pain, tumbled, and with all its ridiculous speed, smashed right into Alix's chest. Alix dropped like a shooting gallery target, but remained conscious, and even retained her grip on the PDA. The Pidgeotto also recovered quickly, and took off, trailing feathers, leaving behind a slightly bruised Alix and several rightfully pissed off men. The bird made a wobbling circle high over the Seekers' heads, and, deciding it's had enough, flew back from whence it came.

A few seconds later, Jake returned. Once he saw that his manuever didn't work, he tried to look for a fitting weapon amidst the wreckage. But arming himself with just a piece of half-burnt wood seemed a little below his pride. He'd settle for a nice long piece of metal, but the dirigible's carcass was made of rather thin and bendy strips, which were now made brittle by the fire, and were useless.

Derek is unhappy that the fight ended like this, but he can't do anything about it. His unhappiness is slightly offset by the things he found inside the backpack. In addition to several more spray-vials - or, as he called them, Potions, he found at least a dozen empty Pokeballs, a portable kitchen with some raw ingredients, some spare clothing (which wouldn't fit anyone present), and another PDA - or Pokedex. He waits until the others help Alix get up, then reveals his finds and says, perfectly deadpan: "Well. It seems I now officially have more balls than anyone present." And then he cracks up.

==========
=== STATUS ===
==========
Locations:

==========
Characters:

==========

Status pages, status pages. It'll take me some time to update them all. Gotta update them all, see? I want to be the ver-ry best, te de de da de daa... :)

The stats on most of the items should be fairly obvious. And Derek does still have the caterpillar.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 04:00:33 pm »

Derek holds the caterpillar under his arm and sits on a nearby rock. "Well then, It's time to start explanations. My suspicions turned out correct. We are currently in a world of fiction known collectively as the 'Pokemon world', where thirteen year olds are regularly sent out to brave the world alongside creatures that quite frankly should have wiped humanity out ages ago. These creatures can spit fire, ice, telekinesis, they are frankly supernatural and replace all of the animals of our own world such as rats with fantastic variants."

Derek sits up as he goes into lecture mode. "Humans learned to capture these creatures inside these things called 'Pokeballs' I have here, I will pass some of these out shortly. These people mainly use them as pets or in glorified cockfights. This," He holds out the caterpillar, "is a Caterpie, a somewhat harmless bug type that transforms into a more useful form after it has gained enough worldly knowledge, or 'experience', to metamorphism into a cocoon and then into a butterfly. There are approximately over 600 different pokemon, and about 30 of them have the power to destroy the planet in the wrong hands, or if they just damn well feel like it."

Derek clears his throat. "Regular people are unlikely to find such creatures, as they are one of a kind and hide out in remote locations or dislike being seen. In any case, in the games and the cartoon, all acts of direct human on pokemon violence were looked down upon, and we are frankly defenseless against a well aimed thunderbolt. I suggest we find some of these critters and capture them, by force or persuasion. Though persuasion may reassure their loyalty, they have an instinctual initiative to follow the one who bested them in combat."

Derek coughs, "There are a few I would like to catch personally, such as a Ralts or Torchic, due to nostalgia reasons. If we had caught that bird, we would have much more easily seen which way to civilization. In any case, I'll attempt to tame this Caterpie after I pass out some balls. I'll be keeping a small majority of them, as I prefer to remain outside of melee combat and will need anything that gets me out of having to fight close range. I will be more useful this way."

Pass two balls out to everybody (One to Jake, as he has one already). Calm, tame and then catch the Caterpie.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:16:53 am by dermonster »

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Feather Fall (VI) (game thread)
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

Jay looked at the fleeing bird for a few moments, to ensure that it wasn't coming back, and then turned to Derek. He listened attentively to the explanation of their current location and situation, in his mind most of it boiled down to one word; Firepower. If he could gather up some of them pokemans he would have all the firepower he'd need.

"So, beat them up and they follow you? Simple enough."

Look for pokemon, catch the pokemon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11