Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18017 times)

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

Besmar wiped the sweat and blood from his brow before tugging again on the handle of his battleaxe. With a lurch and a sucking sound, the axe broke free of the green-skinned corpse at the aging soldier’s feet. Another dwarf, younger and less experianced in the ways of war, rushed to his side.

“Sir, that’s the last of ‘em. Gave the greenskins a good rout but…” Young Althos the peasant’s voice cracked slightly. It was undwarvenly, but it came as some comfert to Besmar that there were those of his kin who still felt sadness in the loss of dwarven life. Althos could barely hold onto the Obsidian sword he so recently trained to use. In truth, the lad had held his own... it was more than Besmar could say of his comrads.

“Aye lad. Say no more… They reached the south chaimbers?” Besmar knew the answer already. He had lost three soldiers here, but this was only a diversion. Baron Shorast sent two of the finest units out of the city and left the peasant quarters open to invasion from the east. It was a simple ruse and the foolish dolt had fallen for it. No doubt Besmar would be blamed.
~~~~
King Kosoth Lamokol folded his burly arms across his beard, his coal eyes cast a gaze upon an assembly of dwarves who bore witness to the massacare. In all, 16 men and women were cut down by Goblins, and a half dozen children carried away.  Each Farmer, Metalsmith, and Crafter recounted their tales of woe and anguish, stories of brothers and husbands being slaughtered, and all of them pointing the finger of blame to Besmar. It was he who took the army out of the mountainhomes, and he who lead them to ambush by marksgoblins defending a worthless patch of grass unsuitable for even the elves. With every word cast against him the old veteran felt his heart grow heavy like an anvil.

“I’ve heard enough.” King StoneVoice’s cheast heaved like bellows. His anger was clear, and Besmar counted himself as unfortunate as those who had died in his service..worse, for he would receive no tomb, no path to the gods…

“Shorast Bomiksebshos!” The king lived up to his surname, as his voice echoed through the mountain halls. “As Baron of this stronghold you are charged with its defence and daily upkeep! I was willing to let you off with only a minor punishment, but your underhanded decision to blame this Old Warrior for your mistakes shows what a slimy, undwarvenly little goblin-sire-rat-dog you are!”

For one brief moment, the Baron and Besmar felt the exact same way: Shock.

“I sentence you to Eighteen hammerstrikes! One for every Man, Woman, and Child who was taken from us at the battle of South UnderGates.”
~~~~
His screams still echo in my dreams. They warm my old heart.
Today I go to meet with the king. He has ruled fairly, although strictly, for nearly one hundred years. It is my greatest honor to serve his majesty in all that he asks. I have been ordered to bring six fine dwarves with me and meet the king in his royal throne. I do not yet know what he requires of me, but there is talk of war with the Goblins… and the kingdom is woefully lacking in good weapons and armor…
~~~~

Ya’ll know the rules!

250 points each for the first 6 dwarves! Spend them wisely! Besmar will be taking ranks in some social skills as well as some military ranks. The fortress will also be bringing

3 picks, 20 plump helmet, 5 plump helmet spawn, and 1 steel battleaxe. (part of the axe belons to Besmar’s points)

Updates will be scarce—maybe one or two a week, so be paitent. Entries by dwarves are welcome, as are suggestions provided neither interferes with the main plot. Additional information will be coming later (such as location, additional plot, ect)

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

Nifo,
female weaponsmith/furnace operator, max skills in both,
6 cave lobsters,
25 turtles,
mule leather armor,
mule leather helm,
mule leather glove,
mule leather high boot,
mule leather leggings,
1 war dog
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

Name: Kira
Skills: Miner/Armorsmith max in both
Equipment:
1 dog
1 copper pick
5 sweet pod seeds
5 rock nuts
5 plump helmet spawn
5 pig tails
the rest into booze

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:00 am »

Name: Xombis
Proficient Grower/Proficient Brewer
50 plump helmet seeds
31 drinks of Dwarven Wine
Rest in wood (for wine barrels)

Xombis grew up in a remote mountain-side village. For years he longed to go out adventuring. But as a poor mushroom farmer's son he was never able to afford his want. At the age of 22(young in dwarf terms), goblins ransacked his home and killed both of his parents. He was out in the woods when it happened.
When he came home to see the carnage, Xombis vowed to spend the rest of his life hunting down the dirty goblins who did this. He set of into the wilderness with nothing more than a field hoe and a bag of mushrooms.

Years later he was found in the wilderness by one of the kings patrolling troops. Xombis was in a miserable state. He had become a hermit surviving off of the plump helmets he had brought from his fathers farm and wine made from a makeshift brewery. He had given up on ever killing the goblins who took everything away from him. His fighting skill with a hoe was useless against such a foe and he was forced to retreat and give up. The kings troop picked him up and traveled with them to the mountain homes where his story became something of a legend and a icon against the growing goblin threat.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Name: Boatsmoke
Proficient Miner and Woodcutter
Uhm, I can't really buy an axe with my points, so I'll take a pick now, and an axe when we build one, okay?

Other things:
Cheap meats of all kinds.
Whatever animals he likes, if possible.
Wood.
Booze.

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

Name: Ruefus
Skills: Skilled Mason, Skilled Mechanic, Swimmer (I've got this feeling..)
Equipment:
10 bauxite
10 coal
10 olivine
10 logs
10 rum
10 turtle
1 cage, any metal. (Eventually to be used for a trap inside his room.)
7 seeds of any food type.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

I'll take one.

Nickname: "Cookie"

Professions: Skilled Cook, Ambusher, Novice Butcher, Competent Marksdwarf
(obviously a cook/hunter)

Items:
1 bronze crossbow (to be upgraded later)
20 of whatever drink I like (beer if none)
20 turtles
the rest in mountain goat leather gear

"Cookie" had never known any other name.  His parents told him that even as a baby, he would take plump helmets and mash them together to form a strange (and surprisingly good) stew-like paste.  But his heart was never really in cooking.  He had always wanted to be part of an adventure.  Hence why he had taken up hunting.  The thrill of sneaking behind the mountain goat, of waiting for the proper moment to strike, and the joy of seeing blood fountain from the prey's heart; it was pure bliss to Cookie.  
However, seeing the blood of his friends brought no joy, only a seething desire for vengeance.  When he heard that there was an expedition underway, which would help bring the green menace to justice, Cookie immediately wanted to help.  This was the true adventure he had been waiting for all his life.  Through his cooking, he would ensure that everyone would fight goblins on a full stomach.  And through his hunting, he would become stronger, ready to fight off any who would threaten his new friends and companions.  After all, what's the difference between a mountain goat and a goblin...

edit: added backstory

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

And that makes our origional six!
I'll start the first post later tonight when I'm out of work.
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

The halls of the mountainhomes were typically humming with bustling dwarves engaged in crafting and business, but this past month has held a more somber air. Only the soft clicking of Besmar’s leather boots echoed against the cold stone walls. With a nod to the Guard, he was admitted into the royal throne room. Statues of solid glass, embroidered with jewels of every shape and size plucked from deep within the earth guarded the king’s glorious throne. Kosoth sat upon it, while one of his advisors drew on a leather map situated upon a large obsidian table immediately in front of the throne.

“Besmar, Come! I have news of your assignment.” The king ran his dumpy fingers across the map, lining the path from the mountainhomes to a location far to the north. “You see this point here? Scouts have told us there is an open magma vent that breaches the surface here. It’s a resource just waiting to be tapped for our people. Ordinarily we dwarves are a patient folk…but we can no longer afford to delay.”

Besmar stroked his gray beard as he memorized the map… it would be a long arduous trip. “Yes, my lord. What is your will?”

Kosoth leaned back with a long sigh. “The years of peace have taken its toll on our military. There are few left who remember the Twelfth war…when our people collapsed a mountain on top of the Ogres, scattering their numbers… We have become weak and foolish.” The years of rulership began to show in King Lamokol’s face… Besmar had never seen his king appear so distraught.

“War has come to us again, and we are not prepared. We need Steel fashioned into weapons and armor: Enough to arm fifty dwarves to the teeth. Spears, Swords, Axes, Chain and Plate armor… All of these we lack… We need bolts, siege engine parts, maces…” The king trailed off in his thoughts for a moment, letting his eyes drift over the map.

“I can only afford to send you out with six men. Your task is to carve out an outpost near the magma. Set up housing, brewing, and food operations. The kingdom is currently short of Anvils, but I promise one will be sent out with the first caravan. You will need to trade for it, however. The Kingdom’s coffers are drained, and I cannot afford to be handing out steel anvils left and right.”

Besmar carefully neglected to point out how well furnished the King’s quarters were, for a kingdom so in debt…

“You may select your recruits tonight, and leave tomorrow at dawn. Pack wisely… the trip will not be an easy one.”

~~~~

Post to follow including location details and character profiles!

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

Should I assume we are not using any kind of mod? They can be really fun.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

I'm open to using one, if there are any suggestions for mods that don't require a world rebuild.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »

Besmar unfurled the map he copied from the throne room two months ago.

"Aye lads, this is the place. Untie the animals and chop down the wagon--We'll need every plank of wood for beds and barrels. Set about findin' a place for shelter, and bring the booze and food inside as soon as we've cleared a storage room!"

~~~Diary of Besmar Olonmuzish, Army supply officer, 1st of Slate, 1058~~~

I have taken the time during our trip to learn the talents, personalities, and most importantly--names of all my six companions. I can honestly say I believe I have a fine group of eager dwarves at my command.

In turn, I felt it only fit to analize myself. I hope I am accurate, if not a bit too critical...

The dwarves have become annoyed with the fact that they are all hard at work and I am still writing down in this journal. I need to get to work!

~~~~

Alright, I managed to fufill most of your requirements, I even secured a second steel battleaxe for BoatSmoke. I know that seems odd, but we had 500+ points after most core requirements (IE not "Dump the rest into this stuff") requests. Pleanty of meat, tons of turtles and plump helmet spawn...

One of the requests I couldn't fufill was Ruefus's coal and olivine requests--couldn't bring them along. Guess the dwarves don't have access to them at their home. If you're trying to do somthing specific with them, I can look for/buy it. Fortunately with magma we won't need too much charcoal or coke.

Any special requests, let me know and I will try to fufill them! otherwise it's going to be business as usual! (Also if you have any questions as to what I brought for your dwarf, ask and I should be able to clarify) I have the ledger screenshots in the photobucket account if you would like to see

[ May 13, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

~~Besmar's log, 16th of Granite, 1058~~

I was concernd that the scouts had been wrong when we found no magma on the surface of the stone. Fortunately my doubts were unfounded! We have found the magma within the earth.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

For the special requests, I know that, as a hunter, Cookie is going to die.  So I only ask that you make it as dramatic of a death as you can imagine.

If, in the unlikely scenario, he survives long enough for your military to be established, I would prefer him to eventually become a speardwarf, with a bismuth bronze spear, as he enjoys those. Of course, all this comes with a Please.

Edit:
lol...I looked up dearth ("Cookie" Dearthchanneled) to see what it meant: "Lack of food on account of failure of crops."  Ironic, considering he's supposed to be a cook.

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 03:37:00 am »

Cool! I have an axe. Tell me, is there much wood on the map?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19