Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-Race Fortresses  (Read 2609 times)

Kadian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon (Semi-wild)
    • View Profile
Multi-Race Fortresses
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:52:54 am »

As the Title suggests - I'm trying to get several races into my fort, as Workers, militia and noblemen. :-\
Now, let me explain a bit - I only recently picked up Dwarf Fortress again, and I do remember that you were able to change your Starting Seven as well as the Migrants to include several Races. Now, what first came to mind is Dfusion (and Runesmith, out of all things, which is dead since 31.25  :'( I did like that tool, it was...useful. ) and Dfusion it's in dfhack after all, so I checked it...and apparently they took the possibility out to change your starting dwarves/Migrants? :o

So...I'd like to have a bit of help here, if at all possible. Could I play with the raws in some way to get different races? Make a cast for them? How would I exactly do that though, and how can I make sure that my fort won't get flodded with different races? I'm currently thinking of a fort, mostly filled with Gnomes and Dwarves, and maybe a few Humans and/or Orcs (or maybe even Elves/Goblins? I could make militia out of them and throw them at their own race, ha!)

In any case, I hope there's a way  :D

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Race Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:07:07 am »

Well...Not really. You could, of course, make several castes, each of which would represent each race, but there is no way of controlling which one of the said castes will be used when a female gives birth, so two elves could end up with orc children.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 06:45:28 pm »

never really saw the problem in that. it is fantasy after all, maybe its adoptive birth!... besides my mother ran away before i was born..

shadowrun does a good job explaining this phenomenon, goblinization and whatnot
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:48:20 pm by Fairin »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:49:16 pm »

Yet another reason Meph needs to make his hypothetical shadowrun mod...

c0mplex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:37:59 pm »

I would totally play a Shadowrun mod and that would be a good way of getting a multi-racial fortress. Otherwise, I think the caste thing could do well.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »

Next version of DF will have native support for this, so... sit tight, heh.

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 01:26:50 pm »

Can't you have prisoners caught with goblin trade workshop in human fortress ?

Kadian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon (Semi-wild)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 01:53:15 pm »

Really? Is that actually confirmed? Also, thanks for all the other answers! I guess It's dwarf-only for the time being.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »

Really? Is that actually confirmed? Also, thanks for all the other answers! I guess It's dwarf-only for the time being.

Yeah, I believe it was in a DFTalk, since all the FOTF replies act as if it's already confirmed (including Toady's replies) and the devlog doesn't have it. Most likely in DFTalk 22.