Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Right, That's It!  (Read 1390 times)

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Right, That's It!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 08:18:03 pm »

1.) Grow brewable food. Plump helmets are favorite, especially early.

2.) Make barrels to put booze in, and make booze.

3.) Make a stockpile that only accepts booze, and one that doesn't accept booze. Limit the number of barrels available on the non-booze stockpile (e/r/E/R) so that you'll always have either lots of booze or lots of empty barrels.

4.) Build a tunnel/channel from your stream/river to inside your fortress. Build a well above it. Now even if you somehow run out of booze you have fresh water available in the fortress.

These should be among the first actions you take in a new fort, and if you do them you will be able to survive forever without opening your gates. If wood is a problem, ask for it from your traders - any caravan with wagons can bring pages and pages of wood that starts at 3 dwarfbucks each.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 12:18:09 am »

I find it easiest to just never allow food in barrels anywhere.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 05:23:31 am »

I find it easiest to set Reserve Barrels from the stockpile menu (when you're putting stockpiles down, not 'q' on an existing stockpile)

If you set, say, 10 reserve barrels, then your dwarves will stop putting random stuff into barrels when you have 10 or fewer left.  Only tasks that specifically require barrels (brew drink, process plant to barrel, ect) will use up those last 10.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 07:35:44 am »

I still remember my first seige.  A long, bloody hard-fought and tense battle, with goblin hammerers coming at me every which way and which I won gloriously with minimum casualties.

A sizeable, well-armed army really helps.  Not just a whole bunch of recruits or a handful of champions, I mean a nice, solid fighing force.  That and everything else everyone has said.
Pages: 1 [2]