Poll

What Sort of Battleship Should We Buy?

Current Technology (less delay)
- 4 (40%)
End-Game (more delay)
- 6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27

Author Topic: Let's Play: Infinite Space  (Read 105566 times)

C-SH4M4N

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Infinite Space
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 08:35:19 pm »

At first, it seems the game's kinda telling you: "hey, you just started so I'm going to give you the usual RPG choice: more attack, or more defense" ... until you exit to the main menu and decide to check up on the fluff.

Perekop: A civilian transport ship remodeled into a destroyer. Its hull durability and combat capabilities aren't quite up to the demands of a battle.

Otlichny: An upgraded version of the Perekop destroyer. It has improved durability, and is equipped with the current government's weapons, too.

... they could've put a "BARGAIN BIN SALES" sticker on that blueprint, at least. (And a bigger discount, too!)

I already finished the game, so I've got lots of ship fluff in the database. I thought about writing my own LP, but ... I don't know if it'd work. I prefer to think of LPs in a the satirical kind. Once you get the choice
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, you'll get an idea as to why (hint: midgame).

Oh, and on another note ... you guys should look up Legend of Galactic Heroes, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. This game borrows A LOT from the former. (It was a weird, obscure anime from the '70s, not surprised few people are even aware of it.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The really, really, really cool thing -- hey, at least it was for me! -- in this game is that it actually teaches you stuff about celestial objects. All stellar phenomena that you can discover are real. I know it seems idiot, but hey in a setting that is usually populated by timey-wimey balls, negative space wedgies and all other manner of bullshit, seeing real SCIENCE! (even if it's just the stars and nebula) was refreshing. I tried to find all of them, but I missed out a few.

Spoiler: By the way, (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:42:42 pm by C-SH4M4N »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »

LoGH... wasn't that that odd mecha/space opera thing? Fairly lengthy manga counterpart? *checks* Mm... no thinking of something else, I think. Damn, that's going to bother me. Heard of it before, though.

Anyway. Looking forward to the LP going further, especially once it passes where the last one ended. Should... probably finish catching up with it, at some point, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

C-SH4M4N

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 10:28:59 pm »

Looking forward to the LP going further, especially once it passes where the last one ended. Should... probably finish catching up with it, at some point, ha.

You might not believe it, but I actually started my playthrough after reading that first attempt (that's Google magic for you). And, for real, once I got past that LP's final update, I ventured into truly uncharted territory.

Boy, does this game takes you to some weird, strange places! I had some fairly good surprises. But also had to complain about weak aspects of the story. Hopefully, this LP will live long and we all be able to talk about these parts soon enough.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 07:50:25 am »

Looking forward to the LP going further, especially once it passes where the last one ended. Should... probably finish catching up with it, at some point, ha.

You might not believe it, but I actually started my playthrough after reading that first attempt (that's Google magic for you). And, for real, once I got past that LP's final update, I ventured into truly uncharted territory.

Boy, does this game takes you to some weird, strange places! I had some fairly good surprises. But also had to complain about weak aspects of the story. Hopefully, this LP will live long and we all be able to talk about these parts soon enough.
Agreed on all counts. While there are moments where the game's narrative fails to deliver on what would have been some epic stuff, overall what we got was a great ride. Which is why this game ranks up there on my list of favorite DS games ever.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 02:07:00 am »

Now for the mid-vacation check-in!

Drakengard - I'm going to have to read this one when I get back, for now I'll save the link.

On the Perekop / Otlichny thing, it really is the RPG 'do you want more attack or more defense' question. I do agree that the Otlichny is better all around, but it's not like your Perekop is going to be (that much more) horrific or anything. And they're both far worse then later destroyers.

Thanks for the tip on the observation point. I started a new game, not a new game+, so I was hoping that all the observation points would be back again. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any guides online to list where to find the things, so I might not be able to show them off except in the database section.

And yes, the rollercoaster ride through the plot is just beginning!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The First Step Up is a Doozy (Part 6-1)
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 03:56:30 am »

The First Step Up is a Doozy
New Characters:  Galkin, Gen, Alik, Poplo, Gadina, Rufina, Tatiana
New Ships: Rurik (CG), Gnevny (DD ), Novik (DD), Bodry (M), Sokol (M)
New Equipment: Sick Bay Lv1, Security Room Lv1, Accounting Office Lv1, Elgava Bridge Lv2, Crew Cabin Lv2, Fire Control Room Lv2, Anti-ship Control Room Lv1, Radar Room Lv2, Amplifier Lv1

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The First Step Up is a Doozy (Part 6-2)
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 03:59:53 am »

Spoiler: The Price of Wisdom (click to show/hide)

And I'm back from vacation and getting into stride. This update turned out to be a bit more work then I had expected, mostly due to the number of new characters and ships that popped up. It also turned into a two-part special, because I like where I ended it originally, but it was too big for one post.

First off, thanks for voting on the cruiser naming scheme. We ended up with a two-way tie between Mythological names and Mythical weapons. The tie-breaker, in this case, is a dirty secret - I vote along in my own poll. In this case, I voted for Mythical weapons, which will be taken as the cruiser naming scheme.

Edit: Heh, that's amusing. My choice gained last-minute legitimacy as someone else voted for Mythical Weapons, breaking the tie.

Mythical Weapons ends up totally 42 entries after I go through a list, and I ended up skipping over a number due to their length or heavy usage of accents the game doesn't support.

The next poll will be for the battleship naming scheme - Weapon names and Flower names are dropped as they received little support, and Mythological names and Violent Weather are joined by 'Cataclysms', 'Demons' and 'Large Predators'.  The poll will run for two weeks and will be followed by the poll for carrier names.

And that's it for this update!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:08:08 am by Hanzoku »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 04:25:27 am »

This update turned out to be a bit more work then I had expected..
I can imagine, seeing as how it appears that you're quoting every single line of dialogue as well as pasting thumbnail portraits for everyone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 04:59:53 am »

Once again the most disappointing part in all of Infinite Space is that wasted moment where our hero could have got a cool eye patch.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 05:35:56 am »

I can imagine, seeing as how it appears that you're quoting every single line of dialogue as well as pasting thumbnail portraits for everyone.

Well... yes, that's sort of the point of this sort of Let's Play. Thumbnail portraits are a snap though. Put a placeholder and come back through and copy/paste the link to the icon.

Once again the most disappointing part in all of Infinite Space is that wasted moment where our hero could have got a cool eye patch.

Indeed. They didn't even make a new sprite for Yuri during his dialogue after getting stabbed, he stays off-screen for his lines. Granted, it wouldn't be around for long (he's fine by the time they get back to the next planet), but they bothered making a peasant-Yuri sprite.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:37:27 am by Hanzoku »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 01:54:11 pm »

Well... yes, that's sort of the point of this sort of Let's Play. Thumbnail portraits are a snap though. Put a placeholder and come back through and copy/paste the link to the icon.
Are they? I never did learn how to do one. :P

C-SH4M4N

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:02 am »

There is a Trope called WHAT DO YOU MEAN, IT'S FOR KIDS?!.
The moment Yuri got stabbed in the eye, and when Kira blasts that Pirate guy right in the face (among others), I just knew this game steered right into this direction.

Censors probably couldn't be assed to sit and play the game long enough to discover this. Bonus to us! :P It's nice to catch a break playing a game that isn't afraid of not pulling any punches.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »

I sort of REALLY dislike that Tropes article. The vast majority of its examples can be summed up as follows: "Kids can actually watch violence, tragedy, and have dark plots!?! WHOA!!!"

I am stunned Bambi wasn't put in there because his mother was shot. Heck Magic Pengel was censored but was marketed towards children too... Yet still has huge jiggly boobs and someone shooting down a small child (and in the Japanese version... there is blood too)

Then again censorship for children has increased dramatically since I was a child... to the point where "G is for Grannies" is making more and more sense.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:05:44 am by Neonivek »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Join the Military and See the Stars (Part 7)
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 08:44:37 am »

Join the Military and See the Stars
New Characters: Karlo, Vladykin, Novikov, Mudakov, Zakhar
New Ships: Orfey, Derzky
New Equipment: Second Bridge Lv1, Shield Frame Lv1
Spoiler: Joining the Military (click to show/hide)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Database: Crew Positions
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 02:53:07 am »

You might have noticed that I've discussed assigning people to various positions, but there hasn't been a lot of information about what positions are available, or why it matters if someone is a Radar Operator or Lead Operator. Wonder no more!

Bridge
Uses Leadership, increases Mobility and Gauge Speed
Captain - Leadership - Yuri (permanent)
--1st Officer – Fomich

Uses Control, increases Gauge Speed
Lead Operator – HELP(GIRL)
--Assistant Operator – Tatiana

Navigation
Uses Navigation, increases Mobility, Battle Speed and Cruise Speed
Chief Navigator – Pavlou
-- Helmsman – Semias
-- Chart Officer – Thomas

Fire Control
Uses Artillery, increases accuracy of attacks.
Artillery Chief – Beleko
-- Artillery Officer – Lotuso
-- Handler – Marsho

Uses Control, increases Attack Range
Radar Chief – Poplo
-- Radar Operator – Ratai

Engineer
Uses Maintenance, increases Mobility and Battle Speed
Chief Engineer – Rapiro
-- Assistant Engineer – Palmo
-- Chief Responder – Galatas

Maintenance
Uses Maintenance, increases ship and fighter recovery rate
Chief Mechanic – Nerissa
-- Mechanic – Franny
-- Assistant Mechanic – Leo

R&D
Uses Science, increases the level of shipbuilding technology, leading to random upgrades
Chief Scientist – Minas
-- Research Assistant – Musin
-- Researcher – Aminda

Fighters
Uses Piloting, makes fighter anti-ship and anti-air attacks more effective
Commander – Luko
-- Squadron 1 Chief – Gadina
-- Squadron 2 Chief – Sceptro
-- Squadron 3 Chief – Phyllis

Sick Bay
Uses Medicine, increases the speed of crew recovery in battle.
Chief Physician – Kuchin
-- ICU Head – Andreas
-- Nurse – Larissa

Ship Management
Uses Management, increases money received while cruising, presumably from holds
Chief Accountant – Hanno
-- Accountant – Mariana
-- Supply Officer – Marjeno

Uses Management, increases Livability, reducing Fatigue gain while cruising.
Head Chef – Kira
-- Server – Garners

Uses Combat, participates in melee combat as commanders and increases Livability
Security Chief – Ochoa
-- Security Officer – Barberis
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:12:31 am by Hanzoku »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27