Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Age Names  (Read 6219 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Age Names
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008, 09:33:37 pm »

...just play until winter of 2012 and let us know what happens...

What sparked this?  I've seen references (banner ads, even) for about a month now.  Did the History channel run a special or something?

It's been mentioned all sorts of places, especially since Nostradamus became all popular. History Channel has been running all sorts of stuff in that vein ever since.

Never mind all the significant economic, political, and social schedules that have 4 year spans or 4 years left starting from now, 2008. 2012 is just coincidentally going to be a big year thanks to our preference for round numbers, even numbers, and various forms of symmetry.

...Mayan calender ends that year because unlike the western idea of using a calender until the inaccuracies become unbearable and making minor changes along the way, the Mayans just made one very accurate calender with an expiration date. 2012 is the end of Mayan 3rd calender and the beginning of the 4th.
I'm glad someone else knows what they're talking about when they mention the Mayan calender. Is it just me or does that word (calender) look really... wrong?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Teh Zip File

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 09:34:47 pm »

I generated a pocket world that I made end at year 10000, the age is named "The Age of The Hate" and only goblins and kobolds are alive.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 09:59:02 pm »

"calender" looks wrong because it is. The word is "calendar" ;)
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 10:04:13 pm »

I like the age of Heroes best because once all the big beasties are dead, the Heroes turn on heroes of other civs.

It becomes epic, fast.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 10:08:48 pm »

"calender" looks wrong because it is. The word is "calendar" ;)

You know, that's weird. My spellchecker doesn't get that. calendar is right, but so is calender. Very odd.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:35 pm »

Maybe it thinks it means "more calend". :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 10:31:28 pm »

So sayeth the all-knowing Wikipedia:

The calender is a series of hard pressure rollers, at the end of a papermaking process (on-line) or separate from it (off-line), which is also called supercalender. The purpose of a calender is to smooth out the paper for enabling printing and writing on it, and to increase the gloss on the paper surface. It is understood to be a process of using pressure for embossing a smooth surface on the still rough paper surface.

The word “calender” itself is a derivation of the word cylindrus, the Latin word for “cylinder”.

Yadda yadda more crap that nobody cares about.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 10:39:29 pm »

So sayeth Google, our lord and master of internet searching:

Did you mean: calendar

With these combined facts, let it be henceforth known to all that a calendar is a system of timekeeping.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:41:17 pm by Reasonableman »

Havell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.abandonia.com
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 11:32:43 pm »

Heheh.

As you might imagine, this was extremely painful to load for viewing legends as it went through all of the events for every age.

This is a pocket world set to stay in worldgen until the year 10,000.  It started off with an Age of Dragon and Demon (years 1-95), then an Age of Demon (96-159), followed by a long Age of Twilight (160-?, last event in 340, with the founding of a human town).  It flicked through the Ages of Fairy Tales/Twilight numbers 2-23 extremely quickly (they all happened between 3840 and 4000, according to the historical maps function) before settling on the 24th Age of Fairy Tales until the end of worldgen.

The only civilisations left at the end are are two peaceful human empires.  The elves were wiped out by the humans in 10, in a war waged since 2 over the eating of corpses by elves (though there's apparently still some refugees living in the wild, managing to do absolutely nothing exciting for 10,000 years).  The goblin civilisation lasted until 195, though was almost entirely human in population by that point, I'm not sure if there are any surviving goblins.  Unsure about kobolds, they were certainly around as one fought (and lost) against the dragon early on, and they may be the cause of the fairy tales, but there's no records of them stealing things.  Their main cave was invaded in 43 but there's no record of the battle so I'm not sure if any refugees escaped.

It seems that all of the ages except those first few are completely empty of events, even the 24th Age of Fairy Tales, though they all show as having slightly increasing numbers of events on the legends screen.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 11:53:57 pm »

There's a button to show unimportant events.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Havell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.abandonia.com
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2008, 01:03:20 am »

So there is.  I honestly didn't notice that despite having been pottering around with legends all day.  Thanks a lot :D

Each age contains one, or rarely, two rampages by various giants and ettins as they steal a dog leather bracelet or knock over a couple of houses.  The humans don't seem to be very big on defending or challenging them to duels though.

From what I can actually see, there are only about 5-6 of them around, each of them having carried out hundreds of rampages (one ettin has got to 1015 of one town, and still going strong, even though he's never killed anybody).

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 04:23:37 pm »

got an age of 'Asno' right after the age of Demon and Dragon.

Funny thing is there are 3 asno's in all of history all goblins all killed an average of two dwarves and a goblin only one had a significant kill: a named wolf.

As far as I can see none of the Asno's ever did anything to deserve an Age named after them.
edit: oh. one of them was the Demon that survived the previous age.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 08:43:06 am »

Got the golden age at a normal create a new world now.
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

IAmTheRad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 10:14:59 am »

It'll be a lot better once Toady impliments megabeasts reproducing. Then our worlds won't end at like 300

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 11:44:14 am »

It'll be a lot better once Toady impliments megabeasts reproducing. Then our worlds won't end at like 300

I doubt it. I quite like the lower yearcount. It makes reviewing world history easier. A large word going to 1050? Good luck reading and making sense of all the major events in one sitting. :P

On the plus side, that would mean more megabeasts for us to play with.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4