Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the subject of the new Off-site mechanics...  (Read 992 times)

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the subject of the new Off-site mechanics...
« on: June 23, 2018, 07:58:31 pm »

Suppose you're playing a lightly modded version of the game in which you've made it possible to play as humans in Fort Mode, with all the necessary trappings (namely the noble positions.) Since humans use a different set of sites than dwarves do, will these new features relating to offsite mechanics still work for them? Will hamlets spring up around your fortress instead of hillocks? I'd be impressed if Toady thought of that when implementing it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if it didn't work at all.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the subject of the new Off-site mechanics...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:20:19 pm »

This is something brand new. Plenty of room for exploration, so . . . you asked the question. Are you up for doing the Science! project to find out? I'm about to do the light modding I usually do for playing dwarves. Maybe once I get my feet wet and learn the new systems, I'll do a human town as well.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:00:03 pm »

Toady said it should work in an fotf reply. It's only npc settlement behavior being turned on for player fortresses, nothing new really.

But yeah, just try it. Release is brand new. In your modded game, what usually springs up around human fortresses?

I'm thinking it might need a civ with the exclusive_start_biome / settlement_biome tags that dwarves use, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 09:05:41 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:15 pm »

To the lab! I'll try to get a human fort off the ground, see if I can get some hamlets popping up.