Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: You are a barbarian peasant.  (Read 9112 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are a barbarian peasant.
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

I'm kind of bored right now and I felt like unleashing some of my creativity upon this forum in the form of a "You are an X" suggestion game. The object of this game is to stay alive as a peasant in a hostile world. I've never done anything like this before so correct if I'm doing it wrong.

Setting:
c. 56 A.D.
Near the town of present day Feodosiya, Southern Ukraine.
You are a member of a tribe of Sarmatians on the outskirts of a Roman Encampment
It is mid-Autumn

You've awoken today, as any other day, to the sound of your fathers heavy voice. Although you aren't fully cognizant yet and you're practically still asleep, you know exactly what your father wants and you call out to confirm to him that you're awake. Something is strange though, why hasn't your father come in the room to wake you up like he usually does? Nothing is strange about your room though, a dirt floor surrounded by dirt walls and covered by a dirt ceiling. You notice your daily clothes (a worn tunic, cloak and boots) are over in the corner along with your fathers knife.  What will you do next?

Inventory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:32:02 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: You are a barbarian peasant.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:12:12 pm »

Put on your clothes, with your father's knife hidden on your person.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:31:44 pm »

You stand up to stretch and walk over to put your clothes on. You grab your fathers old knife and conceal it in your tunic. Your father calls out to you again. This time his voice sounds more stressed and worried although it is muffled and you can't tell for sure. What will you do next?

Inventory:

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:42 pm »

March out and see what the problem is.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:50:35 pm »

Walk out "Father,is something wrong?"

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:45 pm »

You march out into the main room of your family's Hovel. You were expecting to see your father standing there, but he's nowhere in sight. The room's walls are adorned with various furs, gathered from hunting trips with your father and brother. Your fathers weapons are also sitting in the corner (a dagger, hand axe, spear, and worn shield), although his prized bow and quiver seem to be missing. He rarely uses the bow, a family heirloom passed down from your grandfather. Other objects in the room are: a few carved idols depicting Scythian Gods along with a small altar; a few bowls and buckets, some coins, a fur hat, and a riding cloth (used as a saddle). What will you do next?

Inventory:

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:12:37 pm »

With the dagger held, hidden behind your back, check in the other room, just peeking carefully through the door.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »

Grab a spear first, then check inside, ane then outside.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 11:23:03 pm »

OPen the door and see if anyhting is going on.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 09:48:14 am »

You pick up one of your fathers rusty daggers lying in the corner and creep over to the other room. You attempt to open the door, but it is locked. You can't remember any reason why that door would be locked, but your father must have had a reason to hide its contents. You then pick up the spear and head towards the door to the outside. Suddenly, as you're about to cross the threshold between hovel and outside, your father reaches in and grabs you. He screams: "My son! What have you been doing pissing around inside!" You then notice half your village is burned to the ground, injured peasants are scattered around. The smoke drifts into your lungs. Then you examine your father, he is covered in soot and blood. What will you do next?

Inventory:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:50:16 am by Svarte Troner »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 09:57:54 am »

"What in the hell happened?! Who is responsible for this?"

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 11:14:47 am »

"What in the hell happened?! Who is responsible for this?" You shout, pushing your father off you.
"Come son, I'll explain it all later, the Elders are holding a meeting in what's left of the town center. We have to go there, now!"

He pulls you along and you walk through the scorched village. You see what's left of the townspeople have gathered at the center of the village. The Elders seem to be arguing amongst themselves. You catch a bit of their conversation:

"I know they've left, but what if they do come back!"
"We'll have to send out a scout to look for them, they---"

Abruptly, the men look off into the distance. Everyone turn their head to look. A band of horsemen ride into the center of the village. You are apprehensive at first, but then you realize that these are not your enemies. The men are equipped with ornate clothing and weaponry, they are covered with tattoos from head to toe. One of them, and old man with faded, yet still complex tattoos, leaves the group and approaches the crowd of villagers.

"I bring word from the Chieftains that all able bodied men of this village are to take up arms against the Roman scum." He says in a rather stately fashion.
"Can't you see we've just been attacked! We need time to recover! An Elder replies.
"You have until sundown to gather all able bodied men in the town center." The tattooed man announces, ignoring the Elder. 
What will you do next?

Inventory:

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:46 am »

We shall try to join the army to combat the roman scum.  (go to town square after collecting what supplies we can.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:34:31 am by jc6036 »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:20 am »

Step forward and address the runed man.

"We recognize the Chieftains law here, but you should pay our Elders the proper respect, outsider. You entered our village without invitation, and that could be forgiven, but it is no excuse to trample what dignity we have left.

We will all fight, rest assured, but for now, allow us to tend to our burning homes and wounded brothers and sisters."

@jc6036: Maybe we can try to help our village first. I'm all for revenge, but what good is it if we don't have a home to return to?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »

Just as the the Chieftain emissary turns to leave, you muster the courage to confront them:

"We recognize the Chieftains law here, but you should pay our Elders the proper respect, outsider. You entered our village without invitation, and that could be forgiven, but it is no excuse to trample what dignity we have left."
The tattooed man turns toward the crowd, his face contorting with anger :
"Who said that!"
You step forth from the crowd:
"Rest assured sir, we will fight the Romans, but allow us to tend to our burning homes and our wounded brethren first."
"I admire your courage, boy. Very well, we will return in the next few days."
And the horsemen ride off through the withered fields.

At the other end of the village, another band of horsemen appear. The Chief of your home village rides in accompanied by a band of hunters. They carry dead deer and other animals ready for the slaughterhouse. The horsemen are awestricken by the state of their homes, the Chief has an austere look to his face. The Elders run over to tell him about the unfolding events. Among the horsemen is your brother who rides over to meet you and your father.
What will you do next?

Inventory:

-----------------------------------
I've added these stats because they weren't really relevant before, but now the game really begins in a sense. I may or may not add more stats later.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:28:52 pm by Svarte Troner »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14