Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 226240 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1305 on: May 06, 2016, 01:40:31 pm »

Update yesterday includes sounds and other stuff. Connectors now lock in the same way landing gear does, which should prevent weird issues with connectors and desync. Also:

- fixed drilling on DS is pretty hard
I guess drilling will be easier now on the Boatmurdered server! Which is still up an even has people playing on it, despite the deadness of this thread.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1306 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56:47 pm »

Doesn't this mean that connectors will now destroy everything the same way that landing gear do?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 06, 2016, 08:48:11 pm »

Knowing Space Engineers? Yeah, probably.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 07, 2016, 01:42:55 am »

I thought they fixed landing gears destroying things when they moved ship positions server side. That's with client prediction of course, so it might look like it's destroying itself over and over but it actually won't be. ;)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 07, 2016, 03:09:46 am »

I thought they fixed landing gears destroying things when they moved ship positions server side. That's with client prediction of course, so it might look like it's destroying itself over and over but it actually won't be. ;)

They did, landing gear has a few bugs - for example sensor large/small grid detection gets messed up sometimes and jump drive distance is incorrectly halved (basically it adds the ship masses as it should... then for some reason multiplies by 2 because there's two ships) but they actually work great now for sticking ships together. They even fixed the bug with locking landing gear onto planets making them desync and twitch all over.

The only exploding problems with "welding" (which is what they seem to call the new landing gear/piston lock/connector lock) is with piston heads detaching and/or exploding. I've only noticed that if you stack pistons directly on top of each other, they seem fine otherwise.

- fixed drilling on DS is pretty hard
I guess drilling will be easier now on the Boatmurdered server! Which is still up an even has people playing on it, despite the deadness of this thread.

Does anyone know what they mean by this? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, and the only things I can think of are the lag it caused or the "pulses". The pulses are not dedicated server specific, and that would be a really..... odd way to word it if they fixed lag so I don't think it's either of those. I have no idea what else it could be though, mining seemed to work the same on DS as single player.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 16, 2016, 10:31:29 pm »

Server is going down for a while as I am rearranging my bedroom, hopefully to be back up tonight.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 17, 2016, 08:04:07 am »

Is there meaningful PVP in the game ? Something persistent and with a good amount of player involved. Or is it all just pew-pew, spawn-kill, griefing and server-hopping ?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:02:53 am by Mookzen »

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 17, 2016, 09:43:01 am »

Is there meaningful PVP in the game ? Something persistent and with a good amount of player involved. Or is it all just pew-pew, spawn-kill, griefing and server-hopping ?

I suspect it varies server to server. Probably the better ones are less public as well but I'd like to be corrected on that.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 17, 2016, 10:40:49 am »

Meaningful PVP occurs when you have a successful asteroid mining base, and a ship at least 100 units long. After that, most scrubs wont just bum-rush you, and youll be able to output enough firepower to do more than just annoy your enemy.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 18, 2016, 01:13:16 pm »

The game is nowhere near stable enough to handle large scale PvP at all, even 1v1 battles with medium sized ships lag it up (at least, last I checked).

As for what PvP is like - well, there's basically 3 kinds of PvP servers:

1. Limited sized worlds, typically around 50km^3, with centered asteroids. PvP on these servers is mostly eating newbies and raiding bases while the owner is offline. These servers are actually very rare now that planets have come out.

2. Unlimited worlds, with or without planets. If you build on a planet (or near the center if there is no planet) you are going to find your base raided while you're offline. Everyone else builds a jumpdrive ASAP and fucks off 10000km away where it's realistically impossible to find you (no radar or anything without mods) and there's basically no PvP at all. This is sort of the "default" server, unless they specify no PvP is allowed (which can't be enforced)

3. Creative mode, people join up and paste their ships in and blow each other up for fun. This is probably the only "real" PvP where you've got two people in combat ships fighting each other that you will actually see.

Space engineers is just not designed for PvP at all. There's nothing to fight over, near-infinite amounts of space to hide in, and no reason to ever interact with other players. Don't buy it expecting a PvP or Faction v Faction game.

Meaningful PVP occurs when you have a successful asteroid mining base, and a ship at least 100 units long. After that, most scrubs wont just bum-rush you, and youll be able to output enough firepower to do more than just annoy your enemy.

Just....no.

If someone finds your asteroid mining base or 100 block long ship, no matter how much firepower you put on it, it's dead. They can sit 801m away and snipe the turrets off while you're offline and there's nothing you can do about it. The recent patch that added spread to weapons didn't change anything, it just uses more ammo now.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 18, 2016, 04:52:32 pm »

[snip] Space engineers is just not designed for PvP at all. There's nothing to fight over, near-infinite amounts of space to hide in, and no reason to ever interact with other players. Don't buy it expecting a PvP or Faction v Faction game. [snip]

Thanks, that's what I suspected.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:52 pm »

I try to install as few mods as are necessary, but definitely I've found the SunSensor block to be something that's just irreplaceable. Well, scripts sorta work in SinglePlayer.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 24, 2016, 04:17:23 am »

Server will be down for a couple days most likely.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 26, 2016, 02:26:54 am »

Server will be down for a couple days most likely.

Good time for it, apparently keen's havok license expired today which has caused the game's physics to fall apart completely and cause all sorts of gamebreaking "havok" (har har). I'm not exactly sure why the license expiring is causing the end user's client to self-destruct, I've never heard of anything like that for any other game ever... but I don't really know much about that sort of thing.

Anyway, hopefully they will fix it tomorrow, and in the meantime you can apparently work around it by setting your clock back a day if anyone is trying to play.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 26, 2016, 03:43:33 am »

Heh, there was a game called Minimum that was completely unplayable (as in, would not boot) for months due to the license expiring on some middleware the developers used. That meant without warning the game became unusable and was still on the store for a while. It finally came back up, I guess they decided a couple months of development and having the game disappear for their customers for months was a better option than paying whatever the fee was to renew their middleware.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 114