Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Aluminum bronze  (Read 4510 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminum bronze
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »

He said himself multiple times that Dwarf Fortress is not on Earth. Each planet has completely different natural resources. Maybe the planet/plain of existence has a higher amount of aluminum than Earth? Stop thinking of it like Earth, and just accept that aluminum belongs, because not every world is exactly the same as Earth.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »

Toady knows whether he thinks aluminum is important to his fantasy world, or whether he just slapped it in absentmindedly. You think one, I disagree, but there is no reason for us to bicker about that either any further.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 06:41:49 pm »

The entire point you are making with these silly examples to counter this suggestion is based around what you deem is a lack of proper context for aluminum within the realm of dwarf fortress. And to do this, you are going to continually use a counter argument where your examples don't have any sense of context to dwarf fortress?
Yes, this is intentionally done to highlight the one most important dimension of the analogy.

I'm confident that if Toady reads it, he will understand what I mean. Therefore, I don't see any point in re-hashing my point any further. It's not an important enough detail of the game to spend hours debating.

I know it is intentional. And I have been telling you exactly why it doesn't work, yet you kept on using the same flawed analogies anyway. The comparisons you are trying to make are too different in context in relation to the game. It's like trying to argue a certain kind of boat doesn't make a good sailing boat because some other truck doesn't float. There is no line to be drawn.

If you don't think refining aluminum is realistic for the setting in Dwarf Fortress, fine. We get it. But don't compare it to Klingon space ships and AK-47s or whatever and act like it is the same kind of thing. It isn't even close.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:10 pm »

I'm confident that if Toady reads it, he will understand what I mean. Therefore, I don't see any point in re-hashing my point any further. It's not an important enough detail of the game to spend hours debating.
I agree. In a game with such a steep learning curve we should spend our time better accustoming to the intricacies of its mechanics, instead of bickering about aluminium on fifteen pages or whatever.
i'm not sorry
But back on topic, if we are indeed going to implement such an alloy, it better be useful. As I understand from Wikipedia, its good sides are almost nonexistant corrosion and pretty looks. So, slight price bump over the cost of components would be appropriate? And the second utility will have to wait until Toady implements metal wear. I don't really see anything else, do you?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 11:04:03 pm »

I'd have to do some closer examination of the material properties, but it would be a lighter bronze and therefore better for edged weapons. It's possible that it would be stronger, too.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2014, 12:18:06 am »

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:ALUMINUM_BRONZE]
    [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:aluminum bronze]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten aluminum bronze]
    [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling aluminum bronze]