Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weight bench  (Read 2008 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weight bench
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:33:32 pm »

Weight bench works kinda weird. The dwarf takes a metal bar, does some training, then decides to take another bar for some reason.

The first bar doesn't disappear from the stocks screen, but cannot be found anywhere. Then a random dwarf comes to the Weight Bench, and pulls the first bar out of his ass or something.

I find that unless you have enough lead bars, regular bars are more convenient to use. Because when the dwarf gets more experience, he goes through the bars pretty fast.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weight bench
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:57:43 am »

I haven't tried the weight bench, but try putting a bar stockpile with only one or two squares and set to only accept the bar type you want to use. Allow zero bins and set the stockpile to give to the weight bench.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:34:08 am »

I used to use it to get rid of all my ash bars, but that was before I started using Harder Farming and need that ash. Now just using lead in it.

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:02:04 am »

If I was watching correctly for my weight bench, said dwarf in training would go grab a bar, work out, and then run to get another bar and do it again. While he was doing that, another dwarf would grab the bar at the weight bench and move it back to the stockpile. Seemed a waste of a trip, but the bars were just being moved around, not used up.

Undeadlord

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 12:29:43 pm »

stockpile
  give to weight bench
  take from weight bench
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:21:25 am »

Either what billy jack says, or I could introduce a unstockpileable item, like slag, for this. it would still be used in all weightbenchees and dwarves from wheightbench A would steal it from weightbench Z... or I make the reaction require no reagent... instead more build-mats on the weightbench itself. Possible solution for the problems ingame.

EDIT: I made it a single training reaction that needs no reagent, so its a bit faster, but you can only do that one, medium, reaction. no more lugging around reagents for it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:57:32 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::