Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524266 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #420 on: March 29, 2014, 09:10:25 pm »

EA Kailasa, MA Bandar Log and LA Patala can summon a "Siddha" with four arms. Too bad it's really high up the conjuration tree and costs a bundle of pearls so you won't be seeing them in a long while. I'm not aware of any other 4handers.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 29, 2014, 09:12:26 pm »

There's an item that gives commanders an extra arm slot in return for losing a misc. slot permanently. Can't remember the name though...

Anyways, if you don't mind sinking a bunch of gems on giving extra arms to your commanders, it's completely possible to dual-wield warbows. Of course they can't have eyes of aiming in that case, and honestly you could have done things much more cheaply with indie commanders, but... It's an (awesome) option.

EDIT:
EA Kailasa, MA Bandar Log and LA Patala can summon a "Siddha" with four arms. Too bad it's really high up the conjuration tree and costs a bundle of pearls so you won't be seeing them in a long while. I'm not aware of any other 4handers.

Three warbows! They only have one misc. slot. Damn it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:15:39 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 29, 2014, 09:25:55 pm »

Yeah, bronze or copper arm or something like that. Should be... 3e1f? Around there. Needs some sort of e/f caster, anyway. Either the second or third tier of construction, too. It's pretty costly, gem/caster/research wise.

As for arrow spam in general, it's not really the worst of ideas (especially for, y'know, those handful of nations that are really good at it -- anyone with longbows, poison bow whatsits, etc.). Throw in some dudes with some sort of moral-hitting spam (terror, etc.) and you can cause plenty of armies to route pretty easily. Arguably worse than worthless against your average SC or thug (they'll survive the arrow rain, get into your army, and then the arrow rain kills more of your dudes than theirs), but eh.

And, of course, the fun lasts right up until someone can cast rain or darkness (or both, for great fun), and then your entire archer force gets flattened, forever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 29, 2014, 09:28:40 pm »

Yeah, bronze or copper arm or something like that. Should be... 3e1f? Around there. Needs some sort of e/f caster, anyway. Either the second or third tier of construction, too. It's pretty costly, gem/caster/research wise.

Ah, you are correct. About pretty much everything, actually. It's 1F3E, and you need const. 6 to forge it.

As for arrow spam in general, it's not really the worst of ideas (especially for, y'know, those handful of nations that are really good at it -- anyone with longbows, poison bow whatsits, etc.). Throw in some dudes with some sort of moral-hitting spam (terror, etc.) and you can cause plenty of armies to route pretty easily. Arguably worse than worthless against your average SC or thug (they'll survive the arrow rain, get into your army, and then the arrow rain kills more of your dudes than theirs), but eh.

Longbows and Panic make a good early-game combination? Really?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 29, 2014, 09:35:35 pm »

I don't know the specifics, but when a unit takes damage it makes a morale check. Fail a check = rout. I don't know if spells like panic and frighten lower morale or just force additional morale checks, same goes for fear. Either way, do a lot of constant damage (like say.. an arrow barrage) and spam other sources of "I wet myself" on the enemy and you make them run pretty fast. Depends on the enemy of course. Indy barbarians will run a lot faster than blessed elite sacreds.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 29, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »

I don't know the specifics, but when a unit takes damage it makes a morale check. Fail a check = rout. I don't know if spells like panic and frighten lower morale or just force additional morale checks, same goes for fear. Either way, do a lot of constant damage (like say.. an arrow barrage) and spam other sources of "I wet myself" on the enemy and you make them run pretty fast. Depends on the enemy of course. Indy barbarians will run a lot faster than blessed elite sacreds.

Awesome. I really need to play EA Ur in my next multiplayer game then. They're starting to sound better and better with each passing moment.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 29, 2014, 09:44:58 pm »

*Le sigh* eh, looks like I'm not gonna have my warbow spam army. Also, I'm playing Dom3, not 4. And I can confirm that the copper arm thing is new to 4.

Although...how easy are dom games to mod? :P

I will totally make a custom nation based entirely around arrow spam XD
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 29, 2014, 09:46:24 pm »

Although...how easy are dom games to mod? :P

The Copper Arm's effect is hardcoded in the game. Sorry to nick that in the bud...

I will totally make a custom nation based entirely around arrow spam XD

LA Man?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 29, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »

Mod friendly is one of their selling points. Here's a thread with some mod nations to give you an idea of what's done:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1605&st=0&#entry22069449

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 29, 2014, 10:19:45 pm »

Yeah I've seen that before, so how does one start on the path to modding?

Indeed, I do this.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 29, 2014, 10:36:49 pm »

I've seen this guide thrown about a lot when people ask about spriting for beginners:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=42737
It's burnsaber's (a fairly prolific dom 3/4 modder) guide for basic spritework using GIMP.

As for the actual modding with the unit stats and all, I don't know. I guess you check the modding manual and continue from there. There's a modding section in the official desura forums and dom4mods has as the name implies quite a few modders in their ranks. Either place is probably a decent place to ask more if you're serious about starting to mod something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 29, 2014, 10:53:45 pm »

Yeah I've seen that before, so how does one start on the path to modding?
Mostly with a text editor, ha. There's also a vaguely ridiculously huge modding manual for D3, and probably something similar for D4. You might take a gander at this thing, but from what I understand most of your scut work would be done via simple text. Probably something like notepad++. And yeah, check around the forums -- there's good stuff at both the places Delta mentioned. Downloading a few mods and poking them to see how they were done is, of course, also a good idea.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 30, 2014, 12:30:30 am »

The 4.04b Modding Manual.

Also, if anyone's gotten bored of the stock nations already, NationGen has been ported and is undergoing continued development. It's currently up to Humans (of the European, Asian, and African varieties), Atlantians, Abysians, Caelians, Apes, Fomorians, Argathans, Lizards, Hoburgs, and Zotz, with more still coming down the pipe from the author and community. I'm actually picking away at Amazon stats/sprite components, albeit sloooooooowly...

NationGen also includes the author's reasonably robust SpriteGen tool that can be used to cobble together basic sprites from pre-existing components.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:40:20 am by E. Albright »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 30, 2014, 01:29:29 am »

I know this is a silly question..

But are the tigers actually supposed to be tigers? Or are they meant to be some sort of mythical tiger horse mount?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 30, 2014, 02:01:49 am »

I know this is a silly question..

But are the tigers actually supposed to be tigers? Or are they meant to be some sort of mythical tiger horse mount?

Neither, they are obviously just british people dressed in costumes of tigers.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 236