Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523986 times)

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #765 on: June 26, 2014, 01:16:58 pm »

Also, tHEY GET SPIRITS TO GUARD THEIR PRIESTS IN BATTLE?!?!? HOW AWESOME IS THAT?
Wait what ?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 26, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »

Not to dampen the mood, but are they in any way balanced?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 26, 2014, 01:42:56 pm »

Possibly not balanced enough, quite yet, but in any way balanced, yes. Most of their good stuff is either very expensive (in either gold, resources, or both), old, temperature locked, or all of the above -- and almost none of them are particularly tough without some help. Something like half their stuff is ice-forged, but the other half can only be recruited in a province with heat scales -- meaning you either have to mostly-forgo half your army, burn gems on temperature effecting rituals, or accept half of it being relatively ineffectual. As noted, their temples are 800 bloody gold -- they generate fire gems, sure, but each individual one costs nearly as much as a fortress. Their sacreds are pretty awesome, but they're also capital only, really need a good bless (Major water would probably be ideal, since they're both flying with a charge attack, but they want at least minor earth and probably some degree of N or D if they can swing it, too.) and the really sexy one is 125/60 and can only be recruited at heat >=1.

Basically, they've got a lot of neat stuff but their pretty much everything* costs a shitload, and they're in that unenviable position where they want both scales and a bless, and both heat and cold. They've got a lot going for 'em, but using it all is more than a little bit of a juggling act.

*Except those delicious flying composite bow users. 10/7, base 12 prec, composite bow? Yes, oh gods, please. Of course, their flaming arrow casters can't fly, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 26, 2014, 01:49:03 pm »

From a quick glance at them, I can see that the fun units, including top mages, are horribly expensive(125gp 60res for a griffon, 19gp 40res for an iceclad, both cap only), and unrecruitable for better part of the year.
Unless you take cold/heat scales, you're basically only able to buy anything that is not a basic mage-priest(100gp, 1F 1H +1?, 9rp) or mundane(good, albeit very resource heavy) units during winter and summer.
If you do take some heat/cold scales, you're practically shutting half your options out, unless you plan to get to Murdering Winter/Breath of the Desert quickly. You'll still be spending gems and killing your cap population just to be able to buy some units.
Unit gp/res prices and horrendous temple cost mean you need to invest heavily into scales AND high dominion, leaving little extra to give those rare, costly sacreds some nice bless.

The concept is fun, but they'll be a pain to play.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 26, 2014, 01:56:32 pm »

Wait what ?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well that guy kept on showing up in battles with my prophet, so... I dunno what else to call it. And their nation overview mentions guardians under the priest entry too. Not terribly useful from what I can tell, but still pretty neat.

-snip-

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you've said. They're good in the sense that they've got excellent strengths, not that they're good at everything.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 26, 2014, 02:03:32 pm »

That guardian spirit thing sounds like the shikigami (ethereal eagles, basically) of Jomonese Onmyo-Ji casters. They're pretty fun if you happen to have 20+ of them in one army. Fravashi do seem a lot better than shikigami though.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 26, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »

The only problem is that I don't know exactly how to get them to spawn. None of the priests of Ragha have the Fravashi as a battle starting summon thing, so... More testing will be required I guess.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 26, 2014, 02:23:14 pm »

Oh, that might be a balance thing. The shikigami are very weak but are present at the start of every battle. Do the Fravashi appear once the priests take any damage?
Should be easy to test with a few priests v archer indies.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 26, 2014, 02:49:01 pm »

(Major water would probably be ideal, since they're both flying with a charge attack, but they want at least minor earth and probably some degree of N or D if they can swing it, too.)

Major water is actually almost entirely irrelevant to the charge attack, as it won't give them enough AP by itself to increase their charge damage above what their size as flyers does (the Abysians need AP above 30 to exceed that bonus, and the Caelians need AP above 18). They still benefit from the other aspects of it, ofc.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:48 pm »

Oh, that might be a balance thing. The shikigami are very weak but are present at the start of every battle. Do the Fravashi appear once the priests take any damage?
Should be easy to test with a few priests v archer indies.

No, they definitely appear at the start of the battle, before the priests take damage. I haven't really done any testing though, so I can't say for sure. I've been mostly looking at Caelum's tweaks. And so far it seems like a step sideways to me.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 26, 2014, 04:04:51 pm »

[EA] Harab Seraphs have a 100% chance of A/E/D instead of 10% D that they had before.
I though I read about that going also for the LA StR mage... ???
It would be great to give them more ThunderStrike/Storm potential.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 26, 2014, 04:10:04 pm »

They've got new summons, but they're at the high end of the Conjuration school of magic.

Did you notice the new combat spell and remote (neutral) attack spell under Thaum6 and 7, respectively?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 26, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »

[EA] Harab Seraphs have a 100% chance of A/E/D instead of 10% D that they had before.
I though I read about that going also for the LA StR mage... ???
It would be great to give them more ThunderStrike/Storm potential.

Yeah, I wish that the Harab Elders got some more magic too. Or at least some more focused magic or something. Right now they can get a random from Fire, Air, Water, Earth and Death and that's just silly.

Did you notice the new combat spell and remote (neutral) attack spell under Thaum6 and 7, respectively?

Nope, thanks for pointing them out to me. I'll have to use them to see how effective it is I guess. At least it makes LA Caelum happier, since their basic mages can now paralyze people and summon random chaff at the same time. Also, it's hardly a neutral attack spell if it's specific to Caelum. Doesn't take much to figure out who used it after all. Anyways I guess I'll talk about them when I talk about their summons too.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 26, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »

No, I mean it's neutral like Phantasmal Attack is neutral - sure, you know that either Caelam or Rahga cast the spell, but if the attackers win, the province is an indy province (defended by the remaining villains) instead of being theirs. But yeah, it's not a particularly deceptive spell.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 26, 2014, 04:30:44 pm »

Ah, whoops. Yeah, that makes sense. Carry on then.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 236