Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Makin' War Dogs Useful  (Read 1178 times)

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Makin' War Dogs Useful
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:35:15 pm »

Is there any way to get war dogs to stand outside with your troops during a siege, without them all running inside due to the civilians being assigned to a burrow? I was thinking of assigning them to a pen outside, would that stop them from running inside when the alert is up?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Makin' War Dogs Useful
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »

Assign them to your troops via p-e.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:13:29 am »

I heard there was some way of using dogs so your soldiers get the "does not really care about anything, anymore" trait. Was it as simple as assigning them and letting them die?
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:51:08 am »

That wasn't specifically dogs.  If a dwarf witnesses enough death to those he cares about (and doesn't tantrum or go insane), he will get this.  I know it applies to companions or friends.  I think pets or work animals are included in that, but since I don'tknow that, I'll let someone else confirm or deny.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:40:28 am »

Loss of pets is listed as tragedy on wiki. assigned animals certainly treated as pets. War animals are easy to assign to dwarf en masse, so I guess that would do the trick.

I think I got noticeable surge of apathy last time when I was breeding lots of war dogs.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:23:13 pm »

Assign them to your troops via p-e.

You sure? I assign war dogs to my troops, and they always obey the burrow restrictions along with the civilians, during a seige.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:23:55 pm »

Found out if you assign them to a pen zone, they won't retreat into the fortress during an alert.

Danus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:13:57 am »

What i usually do is assign the dogs to chains that i put in the entrance of my fortress.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:57 pm »

Those are guard dogs, what I'm talking about is dogs that help your military fight a full-on siege.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 12:52:57 am »

I believe assigned war dogs retreat if their handlers retreat or dead. Order military to attack and dogs will follow.