Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Mining Suggestion  (Read 1822 times)

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Mining Suggestion
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

Simple version: Cautious and Hasty mining

Complex version: Cautious increases the amount of time it takes to mine a tile by four (4) times the normal, but always garuntees an ore/stone will drop. In the higher skill levels 2 and 3 ores/stones can drop. Hasty mining is basically hacking a wall down as fast as possible, decreasing the amount of time it takes to mine a tile by half, but reducing the chance of an ore/stone dropping to 10-20%

Usage: Cautious for valuable but limited ores, like Coal or Adamantine. Hasty for making internal rooms/corridors/whatever quickly when you don't care about the stone that normally drops.

Could be an option to pick when you designate a mining area, wouldn't be usable on 'soil' layers, like clay or sand.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Another Mining Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

I think this would make mining-micromanaging even harder and annoying  :(

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 07:10:00 pm »

Not really, you would only have to use it in small situations. The majority of the time you would probably be using the vanilla mining.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

I like the idea, but I'd like to be warned if an area designated as hasty encounters economic stone, ore, or gems.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

Maybe this could just happen automatically; at least the cautious part of it. There could be an 'O'rder to "preserve economic stone" or something like that. When it's on, miners will automatically work slower and produce more when mining out stones on the economic list or any gems. You could take it a step further and only preserve stones that are marked as reserved on the economic stones list. Little or no need to micromanage and you still get the benefits.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

I'd like to point out that the dwarf is digging into solid stone and it shouldn't simply disappear because the dwarf's pick hit it. Someone still has to move the rock out of the tunnel. It's a two stage process called "mining".

Digging into anything should result in an equivalent amount of stuff being produced, higher skilled miners should be able to extract large usable boulders (6'x6'x6' solid marble cube which could be used for furniture) while lower skilled dwarves would make nothing but gravel, which still needs to be hauled out of the mineshaft, and could only be used for filler material or in smelting processes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

I'd prefer to keep a minimum of hauling tasks, and definately obscure the useless materials where ever possible (such as gravel).

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by veryinky:
<STRONG>I'd like to point out that the dwarf is digging into solid stone and it shouldn't simply disappear because the dwarf's pick hit it. Someone still has to move the rock out of the tunnel. It's a two stage process called "mining".

Digging into anything should result in an equivalent amount of stuff being produced, higher skilled miners should be able to extract large usable boulders (6'x6'x6' solid marble cube which could be used for furniture) while lower skilled dwarves would make nothing but gravel, which still needs to be hauled out of the mineshaft, and could only be used for filler material or in smelting processes.</STRONG>

Kinda makes sense, but keep in mind: this is a "game."
A highly realistic game, but there should at least be an option to reduce micromanagement that isn't very interesting or fully developed at the moment. As soon as mine cars and such are implemented, this could be fun. But for the moment, all it does is eat up time dwarves could be using to create bizzare Rube Goldberg-type devices that end in goblins being impaled.

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.