Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Circle of Magi I:T.R.o.M.;Chapter 3: Once a Saint ...  (Read 26132 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Chapter 1: It Begins ..
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:52 am »

Oh what a choice to make. But there is a saying, if you do not go, it will drive you mad to wonder what might have been if you had. We shall go, there is no doubt about that.

Wait just a bit longer.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2011, 11:09:31 am »

I prefer not to force the players to take important choices.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2011, 11:11:31 am »

You're still a bit iffy on the whole 'comma's thing, by the way.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:23 am »

You're still a bit iffy on the whole 'comma's thing, by the way.
>.> I really dislike commas ... Never quite got all the rules for them in my English class.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2011, 11:17:21 am »

Use one where you just put the ellipsis there. It signifies a minor to medium pause most of the time. Fairly certain a ; means medium to longer pause, but whenever it's used I get an inexplicable urge to strangle someone with the keyboard wire.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 11:20:15 am »

Use one where you just put the ellipsis there. It signifies a minor to medium pause most of the time. Fairly certain a ; means medium to longer pause, but whenever it's used I get an inexplicable urge to strangle someone with the keyboard wire.
Thank you for the advice, and o.O

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »

> We should go to the academy. If we can use magic we should learn to use it.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:42 pm »

Semicolons are used to join two sentences in place of a comma and conjunction:

We must learn more about magic at the academy. Our mother may try to stop us; we should pass the magi a note saying that, if we're forbidden from going, we'll meet him tonight where we first met. We should tell our mother we want to learn magic, but not fight too hard or she might think to lock us up.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2011, 05:55:42 pm »

We should also say that most people might be terrified of mages, but we are not.
Soaplent green is goblins!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Update 2 -
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:49 pm »

You make your decision, your going, one way, or another, you barge into the kitchen, and say "I want to go to the Academy." Your mother looks at you in a terrified manner for a moment before rebuking "You are not going !!! I will not allow ...", just as she is about to go into one of her rants father places his hand on her shoulder, and she stops mid-sentence as she turns, and looks him in the eye. He nods, and says "Let her do as she wishes. It is not our choice, or our right to keep her from going." with that he stands up, and walks out of the room, shuffling to the tavern to check on things.

Your mother looks at you with tears welling in her eyes, and leaves the room going off somewhere to cry. With that done you take a seat opposite the Magi, and look at him for a moment. He returns your look, and says "Well, I guess that solves that. It's usually alot harder to convince them to come." With that he lets out a sigh, and pulls a pipe out of his sleeve. He lights it up, and continues "Its going to be a long hard path to become a Magi, and many people hate us you know. Now is the time to ask what you wish, and to change your mind. So if you have anything to say speak up."

Spoiler: Book of Truth (click to show/hide)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »

"I still want to go, but what happens when someone completely refuses?"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2011, 01:37:00 am »

You take a second to think of a reply, before asking "I'm still going, but what would have happened if I refused?" The man took a deep puff from his pipe, and said "You would have died." When you give him a slightly horrified look he laughs, and says "Don't worry I wouldn't have killed you, but there are numerous beasts in this world who feast on magical power, and one would have found, and ate you sooner, or later, so no worries." He takes another puff from his pipe, and then taps it out the window near him, and then hastily puts it away. That done he continues "You'll be learning how to wield, and use the basics of magic in your first year at school, and then you'll be chosen by another Magi to become their apprentice. Once that is done you'll go through the standard two years of teaching, and then head out into the world to leave your mark."

He stands up, looks at the window, and then makes a series of complicated gestures in the air. Once he finished a pigeon flies through the window, and lands on the table, strange thing is no pigeons live within fifty leagues of your town. The man scrawls a message onto a piece of parchment, and attaches it to the pigeon before tossing it out the window. You watch the pigeon fade from view as it flaps into the distance, and then return your focus to the man. You wait another moment as he puts away the quill, and ink bottle, which seem to disappear into thin air, before he finally talks again.

"My name is Newman Hinesberg, most people call me New, and I work for the Academy as a recruiter. I can't sense Magi to be born I simply wander around until I find one, and try to convince them to come with me to the Academy. You bring my total number of those recruited to five, and total number of those found to fifty-eight." At that he pauses, and looks at the window, and you think 'Fifty-eight found magi, and none, but five joined? Something is off about that, but should I ask him about it? He doesn't seem to like the subject very much either from the look he has.'

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2011, 02:44:03 am »

> Ask anyway.
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2011, 03:24:14 am »

Ask: "Are the mages really that unpopular? You might need to take measures to protect my family if that is the case."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circle of Magi I: The Rise of Magic; Chapter 1: It Begins ..
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2011, 04:30:34 pm »

Despite seeing that the topic is a sore one you ask him "Are the Magi really hated that much?" Newman looks out the window for a moment as if gathering his strength for the coming conversation. After several minutes he finally answers "Yes, most humans hate us, because of the power we wield. They believe we are abominations, because we are the children of the Exiled God, and for that many of them hunt us. For you see what they fear is that one of us shall once again fall from the path, and challenge the Gods, and their Forefathers, the Titans. You see Katrin, some of us Magi can wield such power that we ourselves become Mortal Gods. These Magi appear in groups of nine every century, but all nine have never survived to become the Circle of Magi."

He stopped, and sighed as he idly stirred a cup of tea without even touching it. All is silence for many minutes as you are to absorbed in pondering that which he had said. He clears his throat, and you give a jump before looking over at him. He is holding in his hand a book not to different from yours, and he says "Now I must tell you a very important rule. You must never tell anyone the name of your book, its name is only ever meant to be known by you, and your Artificer. Do you understand this?"

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:36:20 pm by adwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18