Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Touhou Project (AKA Bullet Hell)  (Read 10053 times)

Tarquinius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Touhou Project (AKA Bullet Hell)
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:23:15 pm »

The Touhou Project is a series of independently produced Japanese top-down shooters made by a man referred to as ZUN. Specifically, they're a part of sub-genre called danmaku, often translated as 'curtain-fire' or 'bullet hell'. On Easy mode, the games look like this:

On harder difficulties, they look like this:

The games have simple, largely unimportant plots which mostly act as excuses to throw massive amounts of bullets at the player. Controls are simple, with 'Z' firing the main shot, 'X' bombing (referred to as using a spell card), Shift slowing the player and making their movements more precise, and the arrow keys to move.
At the end of every stage (6 stages and an extra stage per game), a boss shows up and has special attacks called spell cards. If the player defeats the spell card within the time limit without either dying or bombing, they 'capture' that spell card and receive a significant score bonus. When killed, enemies drop power items, which boost the power of the player's shot, and point items, which increase the player's score. Depending on which of the games you're playing, extra lives will be given for various things, from getting certain scores to picking up point items.
This video shows someone who's very good at the game playing the fifth stage on lunatic difficulty in Perfect Cherry Blossom, the seventh Touhou game.
As the video may suggest, the Touhou games have excellent music, which has done a great deal to boost their popularity. To close this post, this is probably my favourite theme from the entire Touhou series.
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Or in other words: shy from the sky. No answer lies there. It cannot care, especially for what it no longer knows. Treat that place as a thing unto itself, independent of all else, and confront it on those terms. You alone must find the way. No one else can help you. Every way is different. And if you do lose yourself at least take solace in the absolute certainty that you will perish.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Touhou Project (AKA Bullet Hell)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:37:10 pm »

Ah yes, the shump offshoot that only the Japanese or a country of masochists can make.

Alas, I don't have a real like of frustration. Well, stupidly difficult platformers and roguelikes aside. They don't require me to move things by pixels. I'm sure people who enjoy this genre enjoyed I Wanna Be The Guy.
 If that is possible.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:51:37 pm »

If you can understand the story it is actually quite a bit of a comedy especially since the character's powers barely explain how they are able to do what they do.

You will have characters with the ability to speak with animals somehow hurl tons of projectiles at you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:04:28 pm »

"What is your power, alive man?"
 "I can breathe and maintain a metabolism, thus allowing me to digest food."
 "Ahem..."
 "Oh, uh, I mean, allows me to construct a spinning beam of death that would crush most enemies if not for their ability to not register hits on anything except their one-pixel cockpit."
 "There ya go."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:01 pm »

I play Easy or Normal mode, depending on the specific game.

And then there's the fighter games.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 10:10:56 pm »

The fighter is more truthful to he original game then even I would have thought was possible (and enjoyable)

Though it rarely includes my favorite characters

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:52:09 am »

I'm still attempting to perfect Normal Mode on Scarlet Devil Mansion...