Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Third party interfaces and "Losing control of the project"  (Read 135401 times)

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Third party interfaces and "Losing control of the project"
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 06:38:31 am »

Yes, and a certain fraction of the general activity/interest/demands of the player base and the community in this forum will revolve around the interfaces, much more than it is already the case with the utilities. Thus, even though he can basically ignore these things much as he does now with the utilities, he will have given away control over certain aspects of "his baby". Again, personally I'm not against interfaces, because I know about what great things a community can create. But I think you need to acknowledge that there are certain issues, for which you could try to find solutions. It will remain a trade-off in any case.

Edit: clarification
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:42:48 am by dreiche2 »

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:16 am »

Of course. There are always tradeoffs in any options. Keeping the way things are, the game loses potential players due to clunky interface. Adding more modding possibilities, the bug reports trickle in slower after an update.

In the end, regardless of how much we discuss it, it's his choice to make. I'd love to see what people could do with a true API (and I wish I was good enough as a programmer to try my hand at it), but if Toady won't do it, for whatever reason, we'll just have to work with what we already have.
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 07:12:38 am »

View the game in Isometric, 3D, first person, or flat 2D tiles depending on what you prefer

Please tell me that was a joke.
You die in the heat.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 07:28:14 am »

View the game in Isometric, 3D, first person, or flat 2D tiles depending on what you prefer
Please tell me that was a joke.
In what way?  If the interface client was split form the engine server then it's totally possible for someone to create any or all of those interface types.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2008, 09:01:02 am »

Hey Frobozz I've donated a small amount to Toady over this last year and since I'm paying his rent I'm pretty much allowed to just walk into his house and crash on his couch whenever I want?  I mean, I could start moving furniture and around eating his food since I practically own it, right?   Making a donation- out of my own respect and wishes of support- to a remarkable free game developed by two guys gives me free reign over their production schedules and creative control, does it not?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2008, 09:16:37 am »

On another note, Toady also says in the interview that he also fears the eventual appearance of competitors, such as someone that would make a similar or better game than him, leaving him "dead on the roadside". Well I'll be straight to the point: I think that's very unlikely. If we take as an example the world of roguelikes, nethack, dungeon crawl, angband, doomrl, all have their loyal following. Even though dungeon crawl has a vastly superior interface to nethack, and some will say, more balanced gameplay, people didn't stop playing Nethack. So as long as he keeps improving the game, I don't think Toady has any reason to worry about his fanbase leaving him.

I'm not kidding when I say this: there are no competitors. The only project at all like DF is JADE, but with no release, it's not a competitor.

JADE? Ive never heard about it, any link to that project?

*edit*
Nevermind search can do wonders.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:18:45 am by Tormy »

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2008, 09:30:13 am »

Hey Frobozz I've donated a small amount to Toady over this last year and since I'm paying his rent I'm pretty much allowed to just walk into his house and crash on his couch whenever I want?  I mean, I could start moving furniture and around eating his food since I practically own it, right?   Making a donation- out of my own respect and wishes of support- to a remarkable free game developed by two guys gives me free reign over their production schedules and creative control, does it not?

Ironically that Spoiler tag spoiled it all.  :D
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2008, 09:48:21 am »

Toady said, very politely, that he is not going to release any source code at this time and probably not in the future.  seriously, respect his decision, no matter how wrong/naive/stupid/short-sighted you think it is, and drop it.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2008, 09:55:22 am »

Give the guy a break, it's a difference saying you should have influence on the development on a game because you donated (even if many people would disagree) and what you describe. Also, the post you are referring to is three pages earlier, and not that relevant anyway. Could we stop the hostility?

Toady said, very politely, that he is not going to release any source code at this time and probably not in the future.  seriously, respect his decision, no matter how wrong/naive/stupid/short-sighted you think it is, and drop it.

If one more person mentions source code here I'm going into a fell mood.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 10:06:47 am »

Everybody, repeat it with me:

No one is asking for any source code.

Again:

One last time:

What's being asked is a more practical (or at least better documented) way to mod the interface. No Dwarf Fortress source-code is involved in that request. No one is asking for DF to become open-source, no one is planning to steal Toady's game. So please, stop mentioning source-code.

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 10:08:15 am »

My 2 cents:
It would theoretically be possible, right now, for memory hackers to read everything in memory and create a full 3rd party interface.  It would require a fairly beefy machine to keep DF and the 3rd party GUI synced and perhaps some other voodoo, but how DF is laid out in memory is fairly well understood by folks who are a lot better at reverse engineering then I.  Of course updates would probably break this client each time they happened, but everyone would know that like they know for all the OTHER 3rd party tools. 

Would this be fundamentally different then using message passing between a DF-Server and DF-Client?  I'm not saying that Toady should spend his time splitting DF into a server and client portion, but should he choose to do so it would most likely increase FPS since the program could be threaded, and it would also create the possibility for third party GUIs to take over the rendering side.  There would be the stock-GUI for folks that love it, and there would be the possibility for people to create all sorts of wild and crazy interfaces should they take the time to do so.  Of course updates would probably break these 3rd party GUIs as well from time to time, but everyone would know that's the way the cookie crumbles.

*shrugs* I just don't think the idea of 3rd party interfaces is abhorrent as some have made it out to be.  Of course, if someone was to DEMAND that it happen, well that would be pretty silly, but I don't see anything wrong with an honest discussion of the idea.

(Note I didn't say jack-squat about open-sourcing the project.  Toady's code belongs to him, and while folks can make suggestions he is ultimately responsible for the direction of the project.)

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:24 am »

um... actually the OP was asking for open source for the UI.  that's where this whole argument came from...  you know from the OP, who started the thread and asked for open source...
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2008, 10:18:56 am »

um... actually the OP was asking for open source for the UI.  that's where this whole argument came from...  you know from the OP, who started the thread and asked for open source...
Open-source in the sense that people can create their own interface programs. He probably didn't word himself very well, but as long as DF's data output and input are well-documented, anyone with programming knowledge would be able to create their own separate interface programs without needing to see a line of Dwarf Fortress' source code. It's creating an API people can work on instead of releasing the code.

Take the Source Engine, for example. It's NOT open-source, but it has a collection of tools that allow modders to create and change their own mods. I'm willing to bet 99% of the modders in the Source community have never seen a single line of the core engine, yet they can create things as varied as Insurgency and Dystopia.

EDIT: By the way, even if the client was open-source, it wouldn't do jack. So people have access to a program that has the potential to make pretty colors appear on the screen, but not to the input that can actually make those colors appear, nor how to make them do what they want. It's like having a door: you can decorate and fiddle with it as much as you want, but without its doorframe it's useless in its purpose.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:23:57 am by Omega2 »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2008, 10:34:31 am »

Releasing the interface as a stand alone source would only encourage more people to ask for the game itself's source. It's a domino effect of "He got what he wanted, why can't I?".
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2008, 10:37:04 am »

Sure. Valve also released their entire source code after giving people mod tools, right?

Not really, no.

If people ask for the server to become open-source, Toady can just say: "no". No one can force him to release any part of his code, so if all he wants the players to have access to is the client, then that's all he'll give us no matter how much the users scream. Pretty much like it is now, really. Changing his mind once isn't a sign of doing it all the time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:39:11 am by Omega2 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21