Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garrison question.  (Read 852 times)

afkbot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Garrison question.
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:05:15 am »

So I started playing masterwork a few days ago and had a question.

I had a dwarf with the wrestler caste tag on him and wanted him to be a marksdwarf. So I figured out how to send just him to the garrison with burrows and workshop profiles, but when I sent him with 2500 gold coins, he stayed as a wrestle caste dwarf. Then I changed him to a civilian first and tried again, but he was still a wrestler caste when I checked.

To see what was wrong I changed him back to a civilian using the garrison, then I saw that he stayed as a wrestler even when I changed him to a civilian. Is this a bug? or can you not change castes at all?

Jamu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Garrison question.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:31:21 am »

Hi, suggestions.

Check unit (v z) and the last paragraph tells the caste (guild membership). You may be mixing caste and profession.

Your dwarf may have changed caste to marksdwarf, so he will start to gain missiles skills faster if he gets practise.

If his wrestling skill is very high his profession is wrestler. When the marksdwarf skill gets higher than wrestling the profession changes.

Or you did not wait for the un-training to get through.

afkbot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:30:32 am »

I was checking the last paragraph on the description screen. Maybe I had to wait longer, but he was moving around doing other things before any transformation message popped up.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »

Never run the guild / garrison transformations on repeat or queue up multiple ones at a time for best results.

You should only ever need to use workshop profiles (unless your gold is not in the same burrow as the guildhall / garrison)

When I want someone to "transform", I disable all labors and use a workshop profile to send him to do whatever.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:19:06 am »

Works every time for me.  Was the wrestler carrying a baby?  Sometimes the baby will pick up the caste change first.  It could have picked it up each time.  You have to watch caste changed pretty carefully or put the buildings far out of the way so no one accidentally gets caught.  It could be that another dwarf was restocking coins that your wrestler was using and ran through the reaction.  Like has been mentioned it's best to also disable other labors so they don't finish the reaction and try to run away to another job.  Sometimes the reaction will miss them if they move too quickly.

Also how good is your wrestler?  I've heard that changing caste will randomize stats.  If the wrestler is already high in skills it might be best just to stick the dwarf in armor and melee and use that speed boost to your advantage.  Since you already got 2500 free coins by an immigrating wrestler caste it's sort of a waste to make him change.  It would be more economical to simply pick another random peasant and put them into the marksman caste.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:59:24 pm by kamikazi1231 »