Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The tale of Ablelgikut  (Read 709 times)

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
  • DwarfCorp, Established Since 24!
    • View Profile
The tale of Ablelgikut
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:03:05 am »

Ok, not sure where to put this, so I put it here. Feel free to move it if necessary.

Ablelgikut

It all started with the 7 dwarves. They decided that they would start a new fortress on a volcano, their reasoning being the source of magma for various fun things.
Having embarked, they found themselves on a snowy slope by the volcano. They decided to dig their fortress into the slope, to make it easily defend-able. They started digging, and found under the snowy surface obsidian. Knowing this was magma safe, they began to envision great industry all driven by magma. Owing to copious amounts of fire clay nearby, they decided that a stoneware pot industry was best.
Keeping this in mind, they dug their fortified entrance, and started to tunnel out areas for farming and for workshops. Summer had come, and most of the snow melted, revealing many surface plants that the herbalist went off to collect. He was never seen again.
Upset by the tragedy of the missing herbalist, the remaining dwarves sought to make their fortress as secure as possible, to prevent the loss of any more dwarven life. They engineered their entrance to be easily defend-able, yet also be able to cope with large numbers of dwarves, who would hopefully arrive soon.
It was not to be. Despite their best efforts, they were gradually running out of food. Deciding that the caverns would contain edible plants, they decided to dig down.
Ho! Great luck! As soon as they found the caverns, they saw a gleaming vein of adamantine hanging out over a great drop.
The miner was not the brightest of dwarves. He was given instructions to dig the vein, which he was perfectly happy to do. He did not consider, though, that mining the closest part of the vein would cause the whole thing to collapse. He was later found, badly crushed and dead.
Merchants, however, then came, which was a source of great joy for the remaining 5 dwarves. In their hurry to start trading, they forgot all about the caverns. Unknown tot them, a troll had found the body of the miner and was right then slowly climbing up the stairs!
The troll's stench alerted the dwarves that something was amiss. They saw the troll coming out of the mine entrance, and decided to run. However, they had no chance. Already suffering from the effects of hunger, they could not outrun the enraged creature. It came to them, one by one, and killed them all.
It was a sad day in the history of dwarfkind. Still, not to be perturbed, the leader of the Mountainhomes decided to send out a new expedition, in the hopes of regaining the position, and getting rid of that troublesome troll...
The End

Renowne

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Grandescunt Aucta Labore
    • View Profile
Re: The tale of Ablelgikut
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:41:14 am »

A enjoyable short story, and something we can all relate to, plus It made me laugh.
I hope you continue the story after you reclaim it, and deal with the "troublesome troll".

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
Re: The tale of Ablelgikut
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:17:32 pm »

Being an author, I like this.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
  • DwarfCorp, Established Since 24!