Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 8: Game started in new thread (link here on last post)  (Read 12473 times)

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 8: Now Open Late (signups - 1 slots left)
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2010, 01:26:40 pm »

Oh, gee. That means I need to finish my damn setup.

Hmm. THIS COULD MEAN TROUBLE.

I think, due to my odd if regular schedule, that hammers might be best for this.

Also: Alexhans: Wow. Wow, that's just... wow.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »

GAH

No.  No hammers.  No hammers ever, please.  Goddammit, I hate those things.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »

GAH

That's stupid... Why would you hate them?   Hammers avoid scum strategies to fuck you up last minute because you weren't on the forum...

Hammers make town responsible for their votes.  If a deadline is reached and someone is lynched for just 2 votes while no one committed to anything you'll have no info to go on. 

When someone is bound to be lynched... why should the day extend itself uselessly?  that only causes fluff posts and boredom (wich hurts town).
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2010, 02:48:12 pm »

The problem with hammers is when you have a VERY indifferent town.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2010, 03:04:34 pm »

GAH

That's stupid... Why would you hate them?   Hammers avoid scum strategies to fuck you up last minute because you weren't on the forum...

Hammers make town responsible for their votes.  If a deadline is reached and someone is lynched for just 2 votes while no one committed to anything you'll have no info to go on. 

When someone is bound to be lynched... why should the day extend itself uselessly?  that only causes fluff posts and boredom (wich hurts town).

Ah, I see.  That's a fairly good argument for them.  On the other hand, I've largely seen hammers lead to severe inactivity here on B12.  Plus, I've seen some people argue off a full hammer's worth of votes.

If somebody is bound to be lynched, then we ask for day shortenings and it's pretty much the same thing as a hammer.  No problems with fluff posts, etc., etc.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »

Alex, go check out Not So Beginner's Mafia 2.  The game nearly died thanks to the matter of hammers.  Jeesh, uPick nearly died in Day 2 and required me to literally beat the entire town into the GROUND just to finish the hammer. 

Bay 12 tried to use hammers to fix the problem with slow games.  The result were even SLOWER games that just plain old died.  Deadlines, at least, keep the game flowing.

Besides, hammers are MUCH more abusable.  Trying to slip a lynch (or tie) in at the end of a deadline breaks down FAST when extensions are easy to slip in.  It becomes almost impossible when you make the deadline soft like I do (as in, after deadline, the game goes on until I show up). 

Sidenote: When the town lynches based on 2 votes on a person and no other discussion, at least you can see who's sidelining/lurking and charge after them.  When the same thing happens on a hammer, the day drags on.  With all of the games I've hosted, I know that if one day lasts more than a week here either the game starts to die or the town becomes so 'worn out' that they become easy mafia meat. 

@SirBayer

I'd recommend just setting the deadline to meet your schedule.  If that means the days become uneven (D1 lasts 2 days, D2 lasts 4 days, ext.) then that's not a problem.  If you know that you may miss the deadline by an hour or so sometimes, well.. just let the town know that the day formally ENDS when you return even after deadline.

If you REALLY want hammers, you can set it, but the above is what I recommend instead.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »

Btw, in my games, a 'soft hammer' is always in play.  If the town reaches a 50% majority, they are allowed to request the day to end early.  The required # of requests is always less than that 50%.  As such, the town can effectively hammer someone if they are sure of who to lynch.

So far, I've only seen it really come into play in KotM and, IIRC, the town opted to not use it at the last minute.
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2010, 03:20:15 pm »

O...k?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 03:26:01 pm »

You're in, ExKirby.

And with that, we now have everyone.  Once SirBayer finishes the setup, he'll get the game started.  It'll be in a new thread: over here, I'll post the link to the game once it's up and lock this one.
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 8: Game setting up
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »

Booting up over-aggresive strategy, because that's what step 1 of being a scumhunter is.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2010, 03:59:34 pm »

Eh, what the. In.
Does that mean you will unlock the BiT3 thingy?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 04:59:57 pm »

Probably not.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 05:31:08 pm »

One thing I found about being hyperaggressive in Day 1:  It's very good at catching people off guard (including scum) but it leaves you vulnerable if the town gets panicky.  They SHOULDN'T be lynching folks for aggression, but meh, it happens often enough.  Of course, since townies should be more worried about hunting scum than staying alive, it's a very viable strategy in my eyes.  The solution to that is to just push forward, know that some (or a lot) of the town will attack you, and keep aiming for the scum.  If the town is smart and you don't panic and go too defensive, they'll pull off you and aim at others.  If you get lynched just because you were hyperaggressive, then trust me: the game is probably a loss for the town anyway.

If nothing else, it's 100 times better than passiveness or going "I don't know what to do" like many do in Day 1.
I KNEW IT!

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 06:54:26 pm »

Yeah, so it's set up.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2010, 07:51:43 pm »

The game has officially begun.  Here is the link to it.

Good luck and have fun.
I KNEW IT!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]