Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New guard/station and patrol systems.  (Read 813 times)

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New guard/station and patrol systems.
« on: November 07, 2019, 03:48:13 am »

A different look at the patrol system:

- assign single tiles as guard location
- assign routes as patrol routes
- assign guards to locations (tavern/temple/...)

- assign dwarfs to the guard profession or a special type of military squad.
- PROFIT?!

Guards will bring food and drinks at the start of there station so they can hold a location longer (if they have proper equipment: water and food bag).

I'm not sure how much of a problem people have with the current patrol system, but this could be part of the military rewrite where it is more closely integrated with the current systems.
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New guard/station and patrol systems.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:33:48 pm »

bullet one and three can be done now w/burrows
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:30:52 pm »

Would be kind of nice to have Locations included in the list of guard burrows on the military schedule screen though.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:35:31 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 04:26:35 am »

Would be kind of nice to have Locations included in the list of guard burrows on the military schedule screen though.

It can be done with burrows, as they don't hard conflict and you apply guard duty (military screen < schedule < change activity to guard burrow from training) to that squad in buuuuut its kind of bugged.

Last time i did it, dwarves starved to death (refused to pick up backpacks) and became distracted by activities when they were meant to be actively on duty guarding the tavern to pick up drunks, opportunistic thieves and the occasional "suprise" werebeast who hasn't popped yet so i put them over the plain unvisited museum instead where most of my artifacts were stored.

Id have to deassign or otherwise de-nominate them from time to time so they could fetch drinks/food but they guarded the place pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:33:45 am by FantasticDorf »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 07:11:45 am »

It can be done with burrows, as they don't hard conflict and you apply guard duty (military screen < schedule < change activity to guard burrow from training) to that squad in buuuuut its kind of bugged.

Last time i did it, dwarves starved to death (refused to pick up backpacks) and became distracted by activities when they were meant to be actively on duty guarding the tavern to pick up drunks, opportunistic thieves and the occasional "suprise" werebeast who hasn't popped yet so i put them over the plain unvisited museum instead where most of my artifacts were stored.

Id have to deassign or otherwise de-nominate them from time to time so they could fetch drinks/food but they guarded the place pretty good.
Yes, I always do it with burrows. It's how I defend my fortress generally. Locations would also be nice to have too. In addition, not only burrows. Also, military seem to be OK about fetching new equipment and provisions during guard duty in the latest version too, which is nice.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 08:02:58 am »

Aren't all 3 already features? Granted they're kinda hidden, the first 2 using the Notes menu for some reason, and the 3rd one using burrows instead of locations, but yeah, all existing features.

That said I'm 100% on board for making them easier to find and actually allowing locations to be defended without having to make it a burrow first.