Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are my kittens rotting alive?!  (Read 1648 times)

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are my kittens rotting alive?!
« on: May 11, 2020, 04:43:02 pm »

So some context, my fort is not in a hunted biome, no necros, only happy dwarves and casual fun. I come across my tavern while inspecting moods and I see a large pool of miasma and immediately start looking for a rotting corpse, but only find my kittens, who I let hang around my tavern a food stockpile to keep vermin away. Unsuspectingly I continue to look for corpses and at this point I have no clue and its been 5 min and my dwarves are starting to complain a lot. Im going bananas until I watch the cloud dissipate and the tile where its emanating from. It's a kitten, it's alive yet most of his body is rotting away, anyone have any insights about this???

https://imgur.com/a/sS56kYy
If life throws you lemons, it's not life it's an elf siege :v

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my kittens rotting alive?!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 05:20:11 pm »

Your kitten has probably gotten necrosis. It can happen from regular infection and it can be caused by syndromes. I suspect it has gotten into a fight at some time.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 05:25:44 pm »

It may have walked through forgotten beast extract left on the floor (then licked it off itself, urgh). Have you had any recently?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:22:51 pm »

I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to post saying I think this is hilarious :P

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 12:18:57 am »

I don't have an answer for you, I just wanted to post saying I think this is hilarious :P

Thanks I thought so too xD, but also morbid since it could have happened to dwarves q-q

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 12:19:57 am »

Your kitten has probably gotten necrosis. It can happen from regular infection and it can be caused by syndromes. I suspect it has gotten into a fight at some time.

Only idea that pops in my head is the Mountain Titan with deadly spitle, but it was far far away from my animal pens and non of the dwarves involved got the infection.

Llamarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 12:23:24 am »

It may have walked through forgotten beast extract left on the floor (then licked it off itself, urgh). Have you had any recently?

I see, maybe that explains it, one of them might have walked through the battle ground where my military dealt with the Mountain Titan that had deadly spittle, then liked the poisonous secretions (dang yikes, should have used soap :'p) and gotten necrosis. Thank you all for your replies ^^

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 05:11:58 am »

i believe the military dwarves who fought the titan could have tracked it into the tavern on their boots, and then the kitten walked in the tracks without needing to leave the tavern at all

if all your dwarves have some kinda shoes on they'd be unaffected by the tracks, but watch out if anyone is barefoot. even though they don't lick their feet like a cat does, their feet might simply start rotting away from contact alone

Feathermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 10:40:41 am »

Dwarves also tend to leave a puddle of such contaminant behind next to the well (or other water source) when they clean themselves, so if your tavern has quick water access there may still be traces of the cause left in front of it.