Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What does a guild representative do?  (Read 1714 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
What does a guild representative do?
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:51:19 pm »

Last time the human merchants came a guild representative showed up with them, missing a foot too. But what is he supposed to do? He's been crawling around  seemingly at random passing out, and I was starting to wonder if I could kill him off somehow.  But as I don't know what he does I've been holding off on that idea.

The odd thing is in all my fortresses this has been the first time I ever saw a "guild representative", is it because I modded humans as the playable race?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: What does a guild representative do?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:51 pm »

He's the Human Liaison.
Like that guy who asks what you want.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:57:57 pm »

But then why did a human liaison ALSO show up? Did I somehow end up with two liaisons at once?

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:00:21 am »

I must be wrong.
According to the wiki
"The human guild representative will have different names based on the importance of your fortress. Such names include merchant baron and merchant princess.

Humans will also often send a diplomat separate from the guild representative when your fortress becomes important enough to rate a baron or better noble. This individual will only speak to your baron (or better), and generally says something inane such as "What a nice place you've carved out for yourself here." As the noble the diplomat wants to speak with never does anything anyway, you need do nothing to ensure the meeting occurs. If you're in a state of war with the human civilization, the diplomat may come proposing a peace treaty. "

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 12:01:24 am »

A guild representative allows you to request stuff from them, like the outpost liaison. Like the outpost liaison, if the guild representative dies, you don't get another.

The odd thing is in all my fortresses this has been the first time I ever saw a "guild representative", is it because I modded humans as the playable race?

Whether a civ has a guild representative determined by the [MERCHANT_NOBILITY] tag. Since the guild representative is a living, breathing member of the world and not spontaneously generated at the edges of the map, you need to make a new world with the tag in place for this to happen.

As for why you've never seen him, how long have each of your fortresses lasted? He shows up with the humans whenever they arrive.

But then why did a human liaison ALSO show up? Did I somehow end up with two liaisons at once?

This is determined by [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]. Every controllable civ gets an outpost liaison. For some reason, he shows up at your fortress, too, even if you're a different race. You can't request stuff from an outpost liaison of a different race, though.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:53:20 am »

Oh okay, I guess I better get used to random items then, as this guy is going nowhere fast without his left foot... I guess I should find a way to toss him into the river or something, him crawling around like that is starting to get a little disturbing.

As for why you've never seen him, how long have each of your fortresses lasted? He shows up with the humans whenever they arrive.

It might be because I never really get into the trading part of the game, I usualy just trade for an anvil and make everything else myself, so I never really build a road. He might of shown up anyway because I'm currently playing as Humans. Building above ground sounded interesting for a change.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:58:37 am by Sniper Joe »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 12:57:04 am »

I think you should make your fortress ADA compliant before considering throwing him in the river.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:57:16 am »

Oh my god, I don't know how but he ended up at the bottom of my mine NAKED. What the hell is going on?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:04:06 am »

Maybe he went insane. I think an announcement tells you if anybody goes insane on your map, so maybe check those.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 02:08:21 am »

Nope, no insanity warning. But there he is... He SHOULD freeze to death soon I guess then, as this is a cold biome.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 02:12:48 am »

Maybe he's still trying to get to the meeting, and he arrived with no clothes, or something. See if your broker will conduct the meeting if all his other labors are disabled.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:27:24 am »

Okay, did that and now the broker is trying to have a meeting... Now the Guild representative needs to pull his naked ass back up the mine shaft, into the inn, up the stairs, then to the brokers office.

If he makes it he must be some sorta super tough footless guy.

Edit: And now my trade depot EXPLODED. The merchants unloaded their stuff and it went POP. I didn't even tell them to remove it yet!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 02:35:09 am by Sniper Joe »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 02:37:59 am »

You're having lots of interesting problems. Did you do any modding at all?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 02:51:51 am »

All I did was remove [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] from dwarves and gave it to the humans. I'm totally stumped as to why all this weirdness is happening.

On the plus side, I got three anvils now. And a LOT of wood.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 03:03:49 am »

If you were intending to deconstruct the depot, I think you might've given the order early, or something. It's the only thing I could figure.

Or the merchants went crazy, but it might be too soon for that sort of thing.
Pages: [1] 2