Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34

Author Topic: Rune Race: Loji Thread  (Read 32316 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rune Race: Loji Thread
« Reply #345 on: September 24, 2019, 08:29:24 pm »

Refining Rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate)

Holder of our Souls. In order to carve inscription into our souls requires the proper tool. And so we shall gather a material to do so, and create a Chanter who is one with flames.

Effectively, spend an action this phase, then revise, turning it into a tool to carve the new inscription into some of our troops. If it works, we can create someone who is immune to their own fires, and can act with impunity.
+1

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 25, 2019, 12:54:58 am »

I doubt it'd be so simple as that. And Fate is Fate; while it is not a physical element like the Terrestrials, I don't feel that the key to Soul Inscription is with Fate. If anything, I would think that the secret lies within Wood, or perhaps the Celestial Element associated with it (whatever it is); what with it being the Element of Life and all.

Do remember that we can expend our Hint Token to get a lead towards this secret in place of just a bonus magic design, if we really want to.

Anyhow; my suggestion:

Refining Rite: Shape(Earth), Attack(Earth), Ward(Earth)

While a mono-element magic likely has the worst research potential; we need *something* to establish a baseline, our first effort here is almost certain to be a shot in the dark no matter what. This being said, I anticipate this to allow us to produce exceptionally sturdy materials.
Other suggestions are of course welcome, though I would like to suggest only going through 1 Magic this round. Let's not burn both of our designs magic crafting; we'd have little to show in this turn's battle report in such a case.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2019, 01:35:51 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 02:03:26 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 25, 2019, 02:09:24 am »

We could also spend the Hint token to obtain an actual hint towards achieving a specific outcome, such as a chant to counter the Iquan fear, or a way to see through the darkness that both of our enemies are cloaking themselves in.

Refining Rite: Shape(Earth), Attack(Earth), Ward(Earth)

If this turns out as expected, it might actually be what we searching for back when the Iqua introduced the Blademonks, though they've since been trumped by our Jarls. Nevertheless, a durability refinement could be useful in a variety of applications.

Spell: Attack(Air), Control(Air), Form(Air)
((Does this work? Where are the rules for the types of actions placed before meaning(element) pairs? E.g. inscription, Chant, Refine, etc?
I’m putting spell as a placeholder until I can find the list if there is one))

We haven't researched the Control meaning, so we can't use it yet (this applies to any stuff marked "Unskilled" in the "Rune Skills" spoiler). Regarding magic systems, we've got access to Chants, Inscriptions and Refining Rites so far, so you just need to replace "Spell" with one of those. Also, we've got a document pinned on the team Discord which contains all of our information and theories gathered in one place, if you'd like to have a look.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2019, 02:11:34 am »

Create Water elemental: Form(Water), Control(Water), Attack(Water)

The Dreadmonks mess with the minds of our soldiers. If creatures without brains were to fight with us, they wouldn’t be affected and would continue to fight when their brained allies were incapacitated due to fear. Plus we need to get more well rounded in our training

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2019, 02:51:26 am »

The Dreadmonks mess with the minds of our soldiers. If creatures without brains were to fight with us, they wouldn’t be affected and would continue to fight when their brained allies were incapacitated due to fear. Plus we need to get more well rounded in our training

The magic system here is quite unlike that used in other magical arms races that I'm aware of, so here's a quick summary to avoid confusion: we can speculate about what a certain research action might produce, but we can't really specify the desired outcome (hence why they're called "discovery" actions). When we experiment with a rune combination, the result that Talion gives us is a fixed effect which follows a set of rules governing how the combination is interpreted in the context of the magic system. We as players mess around with different rune combinations in an attempt to figure out how the system works, which gradually enables us to make better predictions about what a certain combination might do. Once we get our hands on a useful effect, like Air Phasing or Wind of Flame, we can incorporate it into our designs in whatever manner we wish.

So a {Form(Water), Control(Water), Attack(Water)} chant might give us a way to produce water elementals, but as far as we know (so far) it might also create a jet of water, do nothing, summon Cthulhu, etc.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 25, 2019, 02:59:51 am »

The magic system here is quite unlike that used in other magical arms races that I'm aware of, so here's a quick summary to avoid confusion: we can speculate about what a certain research action might produce, but we can't really specify the desired outcome (hence why they're called "discovery" actions). When we experiment with a rune combination, the result that Talion gives us is a fixed effect which follows a set of rules governing how the combination is interpreted in the context of the magic system. We as players mess around with different rune combinations in an attempt to figure out how the system works, which gradually enables us to make better predictions about what a certain combination might do. Once we get our hands on a useful effect, like Air Phasing or Wind of Flame, we can incorporate it into our designs in whatever manner we wish.

So a {Form(Water), Control(Water), Attack(Water)} chant might give us a way to produce water elementals, but as far as we know (so far) it might also create a jet of water, do nothing, summon Cthulhu, etc.
Yes, we have no idea what Form or Control meanings do yet. We should probably figure it out. I was only speculating with what I wrought might happen. It might not be that. The only way to find out is to try

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2019, 04:09:07 am »

Here's a design proposal for getting our feet in the air before the Xi Shan beat us to it with their crude levitation technology:

Aeroglobe

The sight of cloth billowing above the flaming wreckage of a sail cart provided the inspiration for this device, which an Iquan might describe as a large pouch secured to an oversized basket. Crewed by a pair of Chanters and capable of carrying passengers, it will deliver our nation into the sky.

The envelope is initially inflated by means of a Wind chant, and the air within is then heated using a carefully directed low-power Wind of Flame, causing the vessel to lift off the ground. Once airborne, the Wind Chanter acts as the helmsman, guiding the aeroglobe along its course with gusts of wind where necessary. The other aviator controls the altitude of the craft by using bursts of Wind of Flame to heat air within the envelope, which may be released by pulling open a vent at its top. A Fire Steel rod can be winched up into the envelope from its insulated housing at the centre of the basket, reducing the demand for fire and facilitating fine adjustments in altitude.

It is anticipated that flying vessels such as this will prove useful for scouting operations, and should greatly enhance our ability to accurately map the battlefield. A signalling system involving polished metal mirrors and the occasional flare is to be devised to enable real-time communication of pertinent information to ground forces. Collaboration with the Stormcrown is expected to provide ideal conditions for planned flights.

Spoiler: Rune strengths (click to show/hide)

Compared to a real-life hot air balloon, this magic-powered version lacks the heavy fuel load, granting us a larger carrying capacity for a given envelope size. Of course, our greater advantage is the fact that we’re not at the complete mercy of the wind, as the historical military usage of balloons was heavily hindered by them continually getting blown off course.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:24:53 pm by Atomic Chicken »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 25, 2019, 12:06:10 pm »

Stormcrown Duel- Battle of Two Disciplines.

In the Stormcrown Fortress, two Kings argue. One, a women, speaks of the power of flames, an old Hellbringer. Another, a man, speaks of the everlasting strength of the ice, snow, and cold, a Jarl who participated in the attack on the mountain passes and survived the nightmares.

Paired together, their differences seem great, one of passionate fire, the other her opposite, calm certainty. Still, it comes to a head where they make a bet on who can become stronger than the other.

And so it begins.

Surtr, Flameborn Queen
Taking the name of Surtr, she goes back to the temple of the Voiceguard after speaking with the heads of the Loji to study magic even further. Here she seeks to refine her craft, using all means possible. To this she has commissioned a set of Fire Steel Plate upon Stillborn Steel. A set that grants her total protection against enemy attacks. Inscribing the Fire Steel Plates with Air Phasing, and training in harsh conditions not unlike a Volcano, she learns to manage the heat. To help, the Stillborn Steel is inscribed with the Life/Chance/Fire Phasing, to prevent melting under the heat of Fire Steel.

She becomes one with Fire, seeking greater heights of mastery. For the shape, she decides upon a Sphere as her medium, allowing her to creates swathes of destruction, launching them and using them defensively. Denying territory to the enemy, and becoming a walking Flame, surrounded in a sphere of Hellfire. She trains her craft, forgoing weapons for armor and magic, for no weapon yet exists which can handle the heat she creates.. Weapons melt off her plates on contact, becoming too soft to penetrate.

Having honed her skills in magic, she turns toward one last training regimen, and one more weapon.

Shape(Air). Weak, Medium, or Powerful. A set of bangles are created From Stillborn Steel, each containing one of the three powers. By focusing her chants through these, she can modify the power of her chants as she wills it. Combined with the Most Powerful Chant, the High powered Wind of Flame(Sphere) can be pushed anywhere, be it for simply burning large swathes of land, to kindling an entire theater to be heated to the point mere embers can start a fire.

In the end, Surtr trades any form of martial prowess beyond striking the enemy directly, for the ability to bring forth a hell on earth, and unparalleled power. This will surely be enough to melt the ice caps, and turn water to steam. Still, she trains in the Wind of Stillness with weights to best be able to use the armor she commissioned, and there is a price to be paid for becoming an Avatar of Fire. This inscription can prevent melting, but it requires another layer of cloth beneath it to prevent it falling through her. And it may turn off unexpectedly, leaving burns. It can be turned back on, but she'll have to deal with it to wield the armor as her personal fortress, and she at least has protection from her own flames, being able to simply thrive in her own sphere.

Aurgelmir, Frostborn King
Taking the Name of Aurgelmir, he speaks with the heads of the Loji. Like the Jarls of the Maelstrom, he takes to study and meditation. The Wind of Cold, which at it's Highest Powers, can freeze anything if used correctly. He takes on an interesting path, a flat triangle, small, is the shape he uses for his magic. Retiring to the Snowy Mountains nearby, he trains himself to be immune to cold of water and air. And through Meditation, he uses his chant to forgo armor for frost. A layer of unbelievably strong ice forms from water around him in the air. He is protected from it, but he eventually uses this to turn this ice into a form of enhancement, being able to dart around the battlefield and travel through his own ice structures. He then turns towards the formation of weapons, using his triangular focus to create swords, battleaxes taller than a man, and projectiles that can be thrown to act as focal points for his ice to form on contact.

Having honed his ability to form unbelievable strong structures of ice, he turns toward Shape(Air). Weak, Medium, or Powerful, he has orders made to create 1 for each to focus his chants. In this way, he gains total control over the battlefield, able to create a layer of frost across the entire theater before, using that very same frost to help fuel his attacks across the battlefield.

With this in hand, he trains, eventually being able to form a giants of ice to serve as a body, and weapons of a size to match, with enough power behind the blows to shatter boulders and cut through any armor. This combined with his mobile nature and ability to turn the battlefield itself to his advantage makes him a force to be feared, even able to bring the temperature of fire down around him to freezing if he focuses.

Having done so to the best of his ability, he turns to the honing his speed, of mind and body. He shall be strong in the face of any adversity, being able to think calmly, clearly as his own ice can be, but unbreakable, like the strongest of his own ice-shape magic. An organized army's worst nightmare.

Fire and Ice Heroes, twined together. One for Fire, another for Ice. Taking full advantage of being immune to your own chant's effects. Very ambitious, but it means we have two heroes to deploy. I don't think they'd get along well though, such that them being on the same battlefield mostly turns into a contest for which can kill the most.

Alternate name for Fire Heroine, Glöð , Glowing Embers. That's all for Fire Goddesses on the Nordic front.

Surtr meanwhile, connects to Muspelheim. Aurgelmir, a giant who was created from the drops of water that formed when the ice of Niflheim met the heat of Muspelheim. So the passionate Queen arguing with the calm King ended up forming the two heroes, and they took on these names to represent themselves.

Is my reason for the names

Alternatively, we spend our design phase on Refinement Rites. Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air), and Shape(Fire), Ward(Fire), Attack(Fire). We can then use revisions to apply it to metal processes, or it may just apply automatically to our metals.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:21:53 pm by TricMagic »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 28, 2019, 04:17:07 am »

Best get the votebox moving:

Quote from: Votebox
Hint Token:

Chant: Ward(Wood), Shape(Fate), Attack(Fire): (1) AC
Hint: How to make our soldiers fearless: (0)
Hint: How to see in the dark: (0)

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (1) AC
Refining rite: Shape(Earth), Attack(Earth), Ward(Earth): (0)
Chanters' Aeroglobe: (1) AC
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (0)
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (0)

I opted to spend the hint token on experimenting with the previously proposed chant, but I'm fine with getting more direct information instead. I'm not entirely settled on the design votes, and might reconsider if more choices are proposed. I thought that a pure Fate refinement might be more interesting than pure Earth, in part because tougher armour is of limited value when our troops are cowering in the dirt.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 28, 2019, 04:50:51 am »

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Chanters' Aeroglobe: (2) AC, naturegirl1999
Research Control Meaning:(1) naturegirl1999
Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air):
Shape(Fire), Ward(Fire), Attack(Fire):
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (0)
Putting Research Control Meaning instead of my unusable spell

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 28, 2019, 04:59:25 am »

We can only do that during the Research phase, I believe.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 28, 2019, 05:21:11 am »

We can only do that during the Research phase, I believe.
Oh duh, don’t know what I was thinking. I will remove the invalid vote and place my second vote somewhere else

Hint Token:

Designs (choose 2):

Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (1) naturegirl1999
Removed current invalidity and relocated vote to the Wueen of Fire

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 28, 2019, 06:22:41 am »

Hint Token:

Chant: Ward(Wood), Shape(Fate), Attack(Fire): (2) AC, TricMagic

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (2) AC, TricMagic
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (1) TricMagic
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (2) naturegirl1999, TricMagic
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (1) TricMagic

I'd note that they both were meant to go together to give both lanes a hero... Though if only one was made this turn, Surtr would be best..

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 28, 2019, 06:25:25 am »

Hint Token:

Chant: Ward(Wood), Shape(Fate), Attack(Fire): (2) AC, TricMagic

Designs (choose 2):

Refining rite: Shape(Fate), Ward(Fate), Attack(Fate): (2) AC, TricMagic
Refining Rite: Shape(Air), Ward(Air), Attack(Air): (1) TricMagic
Chanters' Aeroglobe: (1) AC
Surtr, Flameborn Queen: (2) naturegirl1999, TricMagic
Aurgelmir, Frostborn King: (2) TricMagic, naturegirl1999

I'd note that they both were meant to go together to give both lanes a hero... Though if only one was made this turn, Surtr would be best..
In that case
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 34