Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Painteddelight - A Diarchy  (Read 669 times)

ungood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Painteddelight - A Diarchy
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:28:39 am »

A friend and myself decided to start a succession game, but with only the two of us taking turns each year.  Mostly, I wanted to see what it took to run a succession game and get some ideas for running my own full-fledged succession/community game.

The rules:
  • Each of gets to choose the name and starting skills of 3 dwarves.
  • The 7th dwarf will be given only social skills and made the leader.
  • Embark on the first 3x3 starting location found with a river and flux.
  • No trap can be built within 2 squares of another trap.  That would be too easy.
  • Military is limited to 50% marksdwarves.
  • No booze cooking.
[li]Every effort must be made to please nobles, immigrants, and traders.
[/li][/list]

The starting dwarves:
  • Urist McDwarf - General leadership skills.
  • Greasy - Miner/Mechanic
  • Dusty - Miner/Mason
  • Dirty - Planter/Stonecrafter
  • Hungry - Cook/Brewer
  • Woodsy - Woodcutter/Axedwarf
  • Crafty - Carpenter/Siege Engineer

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ungood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Painteddelight - A Diarchy - Year 201
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:34:20 am »

1st Granite, 201, Early Spring
I, Urist McDwarf, have arrived with 6 stout, trusty dwarves to future location of Logemanith.  Already I have my doubts about the dwarven-ness of this rock-less stretch of woodland, but my scout assures me that here be resources in abudence once our miners have pierced the aquifer that lies below the soil.  If he is proven wrong, may his beard fall off and his hammer arm wilt.

I have ordered the miners to strike the Earth near a small brook and begin some basic caves for us to take refuge in while the others set about stockpiling the food and protecting it from rot and thieves.

16th Granite, 201, Early Spring
One of the miners has foolishly dug into a murky pond and flooded the East wing... not to mention opening up a possible line of invasion until I get Dusty over there to put up a wall.  A shame to use what precious stone we have to fix this blunder; Greasy will have a stern talking to waiting for him... as soon as he completes his current tasks.

9th Slate, 201, Mid-Spring
Greasy the mechanic has managed to do it again.  Somehow he managed to lock the lever to an important draw bridge behind the drawbridge itself.  Now no one is able to reach the lever to pull it.  *sigh*

13th Slate, 201, Mid-Spring
Every last dwarf slept through today, myself included.  This warm weather surely does tire us out - hopefully we'll soon have everything moved into the cool refreshing Earth.

26th Hematite, 201, Early Summer
The farms are finished and the first crop of Plump Helmets are being planted.  We should have more than enough food to last us through the winter.  I do wish that one of us was a hunter or a fisher, as the scout was right about there being plenty of wildlife to sustain us.  A dwarf needs meat dammit.  I'm going to order the construction of the first set of workshops and then the production of pumps for the first attempt at breaching the aquifer.

24th Galena, 201, Late Summer
Bad luck again!  We have struck an aquifer while mining out the workshops and have flooded a portion of it.  Disaster was avoided by some quick-footed dwarves putting up sturdy doors to hold back the flood until I can figure a way to pump all the water out and reclaim that portion of the fort.  Luckily all the useful workshops were spared and no one was hurt.

23rd Limestone, 201, Early Autumn
The traders from Kogsak Estil have arrived and I traded all our prepared food for raw meat, plants, and an anvil.  I have made a note of the items the traders have requested from us for next year.  Also, work has begun on the multitude of pumps we are going to need to breach the aquifer.  I fear, however, that this project will not be completed this year.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

21st Sandstone, 201, Mid-Autumn
Our first migrants have arrived.  Besides a very useful carpenter to help build all the pump components we need, the rest are rather useless.  Two gem cutters arrived for Armok's beard - and we don't have a single damn gem amongst us!  I'm sure they'll find some use in the military... once we can manufacture weapons that is.

13th Opal, 201, Mid-Winter
Much to my surprise the aquifer is breached!  My first attempt at powering the plethora of pumps with waterwheels in the aquifer itself failed miserably, so I took another tack - dwarf power.  Every dwarf in the fortress pitched in, myself supervising of course, and pumped for 2 and a half months straight while our masons selfishly braved the watery deeps to install walls.  This was truly a dwarvenly accomplishment and I am declaring the rest of the year to be spent in celebration.
We have the booze to do it.

Year 201 was busy, but mostly successful.  We have struck rock, and hopefully will find metal.  Our defenses are weak, and we have but a skeletal industry going.  The next year should strive to resolve this.

Save: http://plusplusungood.com/painteddelight/spring202.zip
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:54:16 am by ungood »

ungood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Painteddelight - A Diarchy
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:58:35 pm »

1st Granite, 202, Early Spring
I have ordered the plotting of two new farms.  As soon as they are done, I intend to order the planting of quarry bushes and, when they come into season, pig tails.

I also intend to send Dusty and Greasy to the lowest levels of our fortress to explore the mining potential below the aquifer.

Hopefully Greasy will not find some way to botch this task.

2nd Granite, 202, Early Spring
Excellent news!  Dusty's efforts in the lower levels quickly revealed a vein of malachite.  This source of metal will certainly prove to be invaluable.  I have already issued orders for the construction of a wood furnace, smelter and a metalsmith's forge.  I have also ordered the fish cleaner and the dyer to take up the jobs relevant to those workshops, so as to give them something more productive to do than sit around and watch each other's beards grow.

Greasy, true to form, has discovered nothing of value, though she was very excited to tell me when he struck mica.

Unfortunately, these exploratory efforts have also revealed the presence of some damp stone in that level.  I will have to take care to keep Greasy away from them.

6th Granite, 202, Early Spring
More good news!  We have recently had litters a war dog and a camel.  These extra beasts will serve well as companions and, if a hunter cannot be spared, meat.

4th Slate, 202, Mid-Spring
A new wave of migrants just arrived...  Worthless!  Half of them were bloody peasants!

At least I have someone to draft as soon as I have the equipment ready to start building our military.

17th Slate, 202, Mid-Spring
Blast!  One of the jewelers that moved here from the mountainhomes has gone crazed with some damnable fey mood.  Now I have to devote resources to finding rough gems for the loon.

I'm considering culling the jeweler herd.  There are more than enough of them.

2nd Felsite, 202, Late Spring
We managed to get the jeweler some rough melanite and he created... a smooth melanite.

Id's beard, I hate jewelers.

16th Malachite, 202, Mid-Summer
Much progress has been made.  A sizeable suite of living quarters has been carved out and furnished. (Though some efforts in that area have been frustrated by the presence of underground water above the aquifer.  At some future date, I will have to commission a large scale project to locate and drain these sources.)

Also, an agreeable trade arrangement has been made with the humans.  They will bring us meat of varying sorts in exchange for an assortment of goods.

In other news, Greasy has found some poor soul to be her husband.  I would pity him, but he's a gem cutter, so I'm willing to call it a perfect match.

21st Galena, 202, Late Summer
Another jeweler has made a big fuss about smoothing out another gem.

I'm drafting them all.

4th Limestone, 202, Early Autumn
Fall has come and the year thus far is progressing quite nicely.  We have a healthy supply of stone and metal from below the aquifer.  We have made significant progress toward building apartments for each dwarf in the settlement, which is a big task, given how many migrants we've attracted this year!  We even have a fledgling military which has begun diligent weapons training.  To celebrate the good times, I've allowed a party in the newly constructed dining room.

1st Sandstone, 202, Mid-Autumn
The dwarven caravan has come.  In addition to making a spectacular trade for valuable steel and iron ore, we negotiated an agreement for them to bring us more of the same in exchange for other goods.

19th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter
The reasonably uneventful year has taken an eventful turn.  Goblins have found our little hamlet.  We were able to kill nine of the goblins and repel the rest.  We did lose one cat and one axedwarf sustained major injuries to his pancreas and spine.  Only time will tell if he pulls through.

19th Opal, 202, Mid-Winter
It appears Stakud will survive his injuries, though he remains bed-ridden at this time.

1st Obsidian, 202, Late Winter
Our wood burner has been taken by a strange mood.  I wonder what he will create.

5th Obsidian, 202, Late Winter
He created a marble crown.  It's better than a smooth rock, I suppose...

Save: http://plusplusungood.com/painteddelight/spring203.zip