Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grimkrak Mator  (Read 1302 times)

willramius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grimkrak Mator
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »

I have spent the last week reading some awesome fiction in here so I thought I would give it a shot myself.

Chapter One: First Chip

The long month seemed at an end at last, as the mountain the sturdy dwarfs were headed to grew ever larger.  They had first spotted it earlier in the week, and from this distance it promised to be quite high.  They had left their mountain fastness in search of wealth and glory, now this small group of dwarves stood before their fate.  Tomorrow they would reach the foot of their new home and hopefully find their fortunes beneath those foreboding slopes.  The group settled in for the night, the watch was set, and these dwarves dreamt of a golden future.

The watches of the night are seldom quiet on the road, but tonight seemed to be the exception rather than the rule as Delthan reclined against the wagon wheel.  A minor by trade, Delthan was more at home with a pick in his hand than the crossbow that lay across his knees, but every dwarf knew his duty and tonight it was to keep watch, at least until for the next two watches, then it would be his cousin Gimster who sat the chilled watches of the night.  Then a sound sleep given the still of this night.

Delthan mused on his plans for the rest of the night, when he realized that the night was still, too still.  The fiddle-bugs weren’t playing, the night birds did not sing to each other.  Too still, something must stir for their to be such silence.  Delthan learned at an early age to trust his surroundings, as a miner, it had saved his life more than once.  Now his surroundings were screaming in the silence.  He moved to the front of the wagon and woke Elaim Goldenaxe, the dwarf charged with protecting the expedition. 

A light sleeper on the soundest of nights, Elaim was wide awake in only a moment.  Before Delthan could articulate his concerns, Elaim shushed him.  “Too quiet?”  Delthan nodded.  “Quiet as ye can, wake the others.”  Delthan moved off to wake those who slept on his side of the wagon while Elaim moved to rouse the others.  One by one, the dwarves pulled themselves from their slumber and readied for a fight.

A fight that did not quickly come.  The silent watch passed with no change.  The dwarves did not begrudge the loss of sleep, for every dwarf knew that it was shameful to face death in your sleep, better to be awake and bored than rested and dead.  As another watch passed, Elaim ordered that the watch be doubled and rest would sleep.  Delthan was joined by Gimster, both dwarves nodded a greeting then moved off to keep better watch over the camp.  The watches passed and Delthan was relieved by Azgal Stonehammer, a formidable dwarf who was the oldest of the party.

The dawn brought no relaxation to the dwarves.  For the last week the road had become easier, less dangerous; this did little to put the weary dwarves at ease.  Last night had brought home that the road is not a safe haven, it is the wilderness, and the only safe dwarf is a dead dwarf, and no dwarf in history worth his gold, wanted to be safe.  The party ate a light breakfast of eggs, bacon, and hash,  before taking once again to the road. 

The party wasn’t very large, dwarves only moved in large numbers when they intended to conquer, or someone was offering free ale.  This expedition was about finding an economically viable mine, and setting up a new home.  Other than the Bronzebeards, there were the Strongbows, Anais and Arathen, the only she-dwarf in the party, the Goldenaxes, Elaim and Doric, Azgal Stonehammer, and Delthan and Gimster Bronzebeard.

Elaim and Doric had set up this expedition in hopes of finding a new mine to bolster the wealth of the realm and the glory of their clan.  Elaim was an old friend of Delthan’s father Ovdor, who had been to old (in his opinion) to join the expedition, so he sent his son in his stead.  With Delthan, Elaim got Gimster whether he wanted him or not, Delthan had saved his cousin as a child after Gimster fell part way down an old mineshaft.  Delthan had climbed down, hoisted the young dwarf on his back and climbed back up.  Gimster, out of love and a sense of debt, seldom left Delthan’s side.  He certainly was not about to let him go traipsing over the Great Smith’s handy work without him.

Azgal had long been friends with Doric Goldenaxe and did not hesitate to join up.  Arathen and Anais Strongbow were the last to join the expedition but were the most eager.  They had married but were essentially broke.  This was their chance to make a proper start, both as a couple and as a family.  This rounded out the party nicely.  Anais was a fair hunter that had a reputation for always getting his prize, (some spoke of Arathen as such a prize) and Arathen was a herbalist who grew up in one of the farming boroughs of Mountainhome.

The travel of the day grew steadily upward, a reassuring feeling for dwarves, who preferred life among the mountains, and when the opportunity to travel abroad presented itself, most dwarves passed.  The ground grew rockier and the slope continued to angle upward, until, at last, they reached living stone.  Dwarves are not burrowers like moles and rabbits, but tunnelers, they delved through living stone to carve out lives of their own, lives, riches, glory. 

The party moved the wagon up against the cliff face as the Strongbows headed off to reconnoiter the area.  With practiced ease the remaining five dwarves made camp; setting up defenses, laying waste ditches, and stoking up a fire.  The sun had barely reached it’s zenith when the majority of the work had been finished.  Industry flowed through a dwarf’s veins like blood, and soon the camp was provisioned as well with firewood, local berries and nuts, and a rabbit that should have had the sense to stay out of sight was now sizzling away in a pan as Gimster prepared a stew.

Elaim set about checking the supplies, most of which had made the journey unmolested, but a sack of grain had spoiled and a leg of salted pork had developed a smell.  The others busied themselves with little camp rituals, the Bronzebeards sat around the fire telling stories older than the two of them combined, while Delthan whittled as Gimster cooked.  Azgal and Doric sat listening to the stories that they had known since childhood, smoking away.

Though all the dwarves were doing something other than watching the tree-line they all were mindful of it, and when the Strongbows returned they were expected.  Anais and Arathen reported back that they had seen much game and many herbs and edible plants that could supplement their rations but they could not find any caves.  This was a small setback only, Elaim had considered that there might not be any caves around when they set up camp, that is why he had brought two miners with him.

Any dwarf can swing a pick, like an axe or hammer, a pick was something every dwarf-child learned to use, but the Bronzebeards were exceptional miners.  Just like any  other dwarf, they always know how much stone is above their heads, but the Bronzebeards can find the grain of the stone and ride it into ore veins.  It is uncanny how every mine set up and operated by Bronzebeard dwarves yielded the most ore for longer, making them rich and powerfully desired on such trips as this.  Elaim had chosen well, Delthan and Gimster were both fine miners by the expectation of their clan.

With the news that their’s would be a fresh start upon the mountain, the Bronzebeards set about sharpening their picks.  The dwarves let the Strongbows settle in to some supper while they all quietly prepared themselves.  The mining proper would not begin until tomorrow, but the “First Chip” was a special thing, worthy of celebration.  So while picks were sharpened, ale was fetched from the wagon, extra wood was fetched for the bon fire, some pork was pulled to be roasted up, and a priest and a mason walked quietly along the cliff.

For most dwarves “First Chip” was a reason to celebrate, but for Doric and Azgal, it was a solemn occasion.  It would set the tone for the rest of the colony.  This one stroke, if it were not delivered at the proper place, with the appropriate amount of force, the “Chip” would be small and puny, meaning misfortune for the colony and the spells would not be triggered.  They knew they must ensure that all went well so that their efforts and those of their kin would not be in vane.  The duo paced back and forth arguing over the best spot to begin.  Once they had agreed upon the spot, they argued the placement of the runes that would ensure accuracy and power.  When the proper runes were in their proper places, the two dwarves joined the others near the fire.

“What shall ye call this place, Elaim?”  This was as much part of the ceremony as the swinging of the pick.  Elaim made the motions of thinking hard, although he had known what he would call the colony before they had left Mountainhome.  He walked over to the cliff face, where they had placed the runes and ran his hand across them.

“Let it be known that this place shall be call,” the dramatic pause, “Grimkrak Mator.”  Eternal Fortress of the Golden Soul.  The dwarves let out a mighty cheer and Delthan approached carrying a golden pick he had retrieved from the wagon.  This pick would deliver the first blow upon the mountain, then be melted down to make the crown for he-who-rules.  Elaim took the pick in his hands and uttered a silent prayer to the Great Smith.  Lifting the pick high, stretching back, Elaim brought the pick down, striking the stone with a bell like ring.  A chunk of stone about the size of a dwarf’s fist fell off the cliff.  The world was silent as it waited with the dwarves to see if this would be enough.  At long last the Great Smith showed his favour by smashing in a tunnel entrance that would serve as the “King’s Gate.” 

As the dust still clung to the air, the dwarves gave a resounding cheer that could be heard all around the mountain.  It even reached the ears of a creature that lounged on the broken remains of ox, that was still tethered to the wagon.  The distant rumble of the dwarvish cheer started him, but only for a moment.  He growled under his breath, apparently they had snuck past his patrols and for some reason were sitting on his mountain.  They would pay dearly for their trespasses, but right now, there was a tasty morsel crawling away from him.  Man flesh was the best kind of flesh, not too sweet but not too bitter either, just right.  He would dine well tonight, and tomorrow he would crush those stupid bearded moles.

**Note**
On dwarves: 
-The “First Chip” Ceremony dates back millennium.  Over the years it has change little, but the addition of a series of runes forming the arch of the door ensures that the door is created there.  The spells tied to those runes are very finicky and it still takes the proper blow to set them off.
The title of King is only given to one who has overseen the delving of a mountainhome.  So when Delthan hands the golden pick to Elaim, he is not king, and therefore cannot be called King, hence the title, he-who-rules.  There is no law against the owning of crown, just the declaration of kingship.
For a dwarf to become a priest, they spend many years studying the history, laws, and customs of their people, then they begin learning the arts of the priesthood of the Great Smith.  These consist of Stone craft (masonry), Blacksmithing, and Gem-cutting.  Doric is a Blacksmith, which is why he needed Azgal to carve the runes.
Arguing for a dwarf is natural, and in fact the arguing over the placement of the runes and the spot for the door, are part of the ceremony.  Mostly because it happens every time the ceremony takes place, but also because it is part of dwarvish heritage.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:45:42 pm by willramius »
May the Great Smith's blessing be upon you and your clan.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grimkrak Mator
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:40:41 pm »

Posting to follow. This is very well written  :) , though my personal nitpick is that I personally prefer double spacing the paragraphs, since the Bay12 color just doesn't agree with my eyes.

Is this a community fortress, by the way? Or a story you're making? How long are you planning to do this for?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:43:51 pm by Pan »

willramius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:49:32 pm »

Thanks, I took care of the spacing and it does look better, easier to read.  This is just a fiction, I am still learning the basics of DF.  I'm not sure how long this will last but, at least three chapters (what I already have written).  I have always been a lover of dwarves, and I like the format DF provides.  Names are from a different different "universe" but they fit I think.

willramius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 01:19:38 pm »

Chapter Two-A: A Thief in the Night

The sun rose swiftly over the mountain.  The dwarves were already up and about, grumbling as was their right, and some would argue, responsibility.  For dwarves only complain when they happy, toiling away in a mine, ordering their camp, or performing any chore, above all dwarves enjoy their labours.  The camp was in order, and breakfast was served.  Delthan had had the last watch and was resting near the fire as the others went about their morning routines.  The dwarves had taken care not to leave the camp un-warded, though the defenses paled in comparison to what they would be once the mountain had been delved.  All that stood between the dwarves and any threat was a small palisade and their weapons.

The morning proceeded quietly as the dwarves went about their work.  Delthan and Gimster began to excavate the entrance tunnel properly, Elaim went to work felling trees that the company would need for fires and reinforce the defenses, and Arathen and Anais headed out into the woods to gather edible plants and do a bit of hunting.  Doric and Azgal set to work setting up a small forge that could be used to repair or make any tools the expedition would need until a proper forge could be constructed.

The Strongbows had been out for only a little while when they came trotting back into camp weapons at the ready, Elaim met them at the palisade.  They carried a goblin arrow that had been fired, and told of a small scouting party in the surrounding country.  Elaim quickly spread the word and the dwarves readied themselves for a fight.  To an uneducated observer the dwarves would have looked like they ignored these warnings, but dwarves are ever ready for a fight, but can from time to time, let slip their guard and in this moment they reclaimed it, though they continued working as usual, they were now on guard for the battle call.

The Strongbows were sent back out to patrol around the camp and to continue their work.  They took some extra bolts and headed back into the wood in the opposite direction they had come into camp.  “Tell us love, why do we run away from the enemy?” Arathen asked of her husband.  “If I wanted to test the defenses of an enemy camp, I would scout both approaches, we caught and bloodied the other party, I want to catch this group unawares as well.”  The young dwarves had both seen some fighting, but had never faced the enemy together before and they quickly wanted to adjust to the new shield mates, so that it would not be their last. 

While the Strongbows made to intercept another patrol, Elaim checked on everyone to make sure they were ready.  “Doric, Azgal, I know better than to ask but I must,”  Elaim began with his brother and friend, but was stopped.  “Brother, we are ready, even now, I pray to the Great Smith to warm the forge, and prepare to help us smelt our foes, and let them aid in the strength of our foundation.”  Happy with his brother’s reply, and a curt nod from Azgal, who was trying to fit stones together for the forge and was too busy for the fussing of his younger friend, Elaim headed off for the tunnel.  He found the Bronzebeards nearly eight meters in.  “Ho, how will ye hear a battle outside over this din?”  Elaim joked with the miners.  “We thought we would just leave it to ye, and when it came meal time, we would just fight our way to supper, and good night’s sleep.”  Gimster laughed back.  Delthan was a bit more somber, “What did ye say, I can’t hear ye over this din!?”

Satisfied that his dwarves were ready, Elaim went about strengthening the palisade and digging a bit of a ditch to slow any attackers.  Work progressed steadily, the tunnel got deeper, the forge was finished and Azgal came to join Elaim as the ditch grew deeper and longer.  The two older dwarves grumbled about being to old to dig ditches but their pace was that of steady strength that only time can set.  The earth from their ditch went behind the palisade, creating a ramp up the backside of the wall, and addd weight to the wall so that it could not easily be pushed down.  Long had the dwarves made such camp defenses and they were well versed at what worked and what didn’t, though knowledge of the latter usually came from stories of fallen heros. 

Doric fixed a light lunch while the forge heated up, and rather than stop the work, carried bowls of hot soup to each of the work parties.  As he was collecting the bowls from Elaim and Azgal, the Strongbows trotted back into camp.  “Any sight of them?” Azgal asked as Doric ladled soup into bowls for them.  “No, but plenty of sign.  There are trails all ‘round ‘ere, but not well travelled.  I’d say ther’s only a small tribe ‘round ‘ere, otherwise we would ‘ave seen more of ‘em.”  Anais finished his report while Arathen ate her soup, she looked a bit tired, not unusual for a dwarf, but unusual for a dwarf so young.

“Lass, are ye doing a’right?” Doric asked as he refilled her bowl.  “Aye, I’m doing a’right, just getting used to all dis running, farmers donna ‘ave to do much o’ it back ‘ome.”  She thanked the priest and hungrily ate her soup.  Doric wasn’t so easily put off her trail, but thought better of starting a fight now.  When they had had their fill, the Strongbows were back out into the woods, Doric watch carefully after Arathen, some expeditions were too tough on their dwarf-maidens, and Arathen was barely out of her mother’s lap.  He whispered a prayer to the Great Smith for her as she slipped into the trees.

The sun waxed and continued its slow journey west towards the distant horizon.  The dwarves toiled on, expecting a fight at any moment, but this did not spoil their mood.  Jokes bounced from Gimster to Delthan and back again.  Azgal regaled Elaim of old battles, some of which Elaim had fought in, but listened anyway.  Doric busied himself with his forge, working what iron they had brought with them, and preparing some workings for the colony; buckets, chains, and a few other sundries would be needed before too long.  The afternoon passed quietly around the camp, or as quietly as it can around dwarves.

While their comrades toiled to make for them a home in the mountain, the Strongbows worked to ensure that they survived long enough to actually live there.  Anais and Arathen worked their way around the surrounding forest, as quietly as a dwarf can, and noted the places of passing of orc and other creatures.  Taking note as well of the best ambush places along those paths, and ensuring that they did not fall into such an ambush themselves.  Their pace was deliberately slow, so not to get into trouble so fast that they couldn’t get out again.  Anais lead the way as Arathen followed, stopping periodically to stoop and collect some herb here or dig out a root there.  Mentally recording where she found this things as she slipped them into her pouches.

The dwarves were not horrible foresters but they were certainly not the best.  Try as they might the Strongbows did not go un-noticed through the woods.  They were seen not far from a little stream that ran down from the mountainside and followed back to their camp near sunset.  The silent stalker took note of their camp and spent the night observing their order in camp.  Taking an opportunity, while the old dwarf nodded, he stole into the camp and stole the shiny poker.  They had tried to hide it in a blanket in the wagon, but he was clever, this little creature, and he knew where to look.  Making sure that the old dwarf was snoring softly, he sneaked back out into the inky forest.

After the long watches of the night, he sneaked back into the shadows before dawn and made for a valley to the south of the mountain.  The forest grew thick here and many small creatures lived here, free from the fear of large predators.  Though the brush was low and thick, this little creature, with practiced ease, wormed his way through to the other side.  He knew many things, like where the tastiest rabbits liked to burrow and how to sneak up on a robin’s nest without causing a ruckus.  He also knew that the big green-skins would pay him in fresh meat if he brought information about unweary travelers, just two days ago, he had eaten well after he told them about that human caravan, full of shinnies and baubles.  He knew he would eat well again tonight.  If these stupid outsiders kept this up he would grow to be a fat little Kobold indeed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:49:55 pm by willramius »

willramius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 05:49:12 pm »

Chapter Two-B: An Odd Little Creature

He could smell the camp before he actually saw it.  Stupid-ocrs were notoriously bad sentries.  Their smell gave them away sooner than their stupid noises.  Men and dwarves were loud, though they tried not to be, but stupid-orcs didn’t care.  It wasn’t because they were so mighty, but because they were to stupid to care.  But Kreener wasn’t stupid, no, he was quite clever.  He had stole the shiny poker from the stupid dwarves.  He had told the stupid-orc’s Boss about the caravan.  He was alive and well fed, he was quite clever indeed.  He knew he would eat well tonight.  The stupid-orcs liked meat, but shiny would work.  Not to mention, he knew the ins, outs, and arounds of the dwarf camp.

Kreener knew that if he were caught by the guards they would kick him and beat him and take his shiny as their own to give their Boss.  He couldn’t let that happen, he wouldn’t get food if he didn’t get credit.  Lucky for Kreener, stupid-orcs are stupid greenskins, stupid but they have strong arms and sharp blades.  Kreener didn’t mind working with them, but he didn’t like it.  He sneaked up to the Boss’ hut, careful to avoid stupid-orcs along the way, hiding behind a bone pile until a couple of particularly ugly, stupid-orcs who were walking passed.  When the coast was clear, Kreener sneaked around to the flap that barred the entrance to the Boss’ hut and slipped in.

Kreener knew that the Boss would want this information and shiny, so he settled onto a little stool in the corner.  It wasn’t long before the flap was thrown back and the Boss walked in.  Kreener hid behind his little stool, but clicked his tongue so that the Boss knew he was there.

The Boss had been out looking for those dwarves but hadn’t seen anything, after their roaring a couple of days ago they had fallen silent.  His orcs were not woodsmen and were weary under the eaves.  The work was slow but they would find them, and when they did, his thirty orcs would crush those trespassing gnomes.  His hunt that day had been fruitless, he was angry at the failure of his orcs and that sunny-feeling left him queazy.  He was in no mood for stupid little things right now.  He wanted to drink some grog and sleep.

As he walked into his hut he heard a clicking sound, a quick glance told him that it was that feeble kobold Kreener.  IT was a pathetic excuse for a kobold at that.  Normally kobolds would stand about 2 1/2 - 3 feet tall and weighed about eighty pounds.  Kreener was barely two feet tall and could weigh eighty pounds if he tried to life another kobold.  He was not in the mood, but the pathetic maggot had delivered the caravan, that bought him a minute before the beating, that would make the boss feel better, would commence. 

“You have thirty seconds to live, Kreature.”  The Boss enjoyed his little joke but the beast didn’t get it so he let it go.  Kreener made his way into the little light from the smoke-hole in the roof.  The little kobold had a lump on his chest, bigger than any bruise his orcs could give him.  He stepped forward, thought about it for a moment and bowed deeply as he lifted a golden pick-axe up as an offering.  This was a wondrous item, which he snatched right out of the creature’s hands.  Upon closer inspection, it wasn’t all golden, some of hit was a silver metal with gems set in it.  The Boss knew instantly that it was dwarven make, and their best work by the look of it.

He looked at the kobold, then, without warning, launched upon him holding him up to one of them beams holding up the roof.  “Where did you get this, Worm?”  A series of choking noises and some gurgling escaped before the Boss changed his grip, freeing up Kreener’s throat, but not lowering him an inch.  “I finds it at the camp, the dwarves camp.”  The Boss tossed him over into the corner with the stool, and walked around the fire to sit on his bed-role.  Kreener rose slowly rubbing his throat, then moved to sit opposite the Boss.  “Tell me what you know.”  His voice was low, Kreener began with finding the dwarves in the forest and following them back to their camp.  He told the Boss about their little wall and the ramps behind them, the tunnel they were digging behind their wagon, and all the shiny they had with them.  He told all he knew and fell silent.

The creature was useful, that was the only reason he was still alive.  That and it was resourceful, otherwise it would have died a long time ago, and he would be able to serve the Boss.  The Boss was smart, one only becomes boss by being smart, and his smarts told him that he would need more than thirty orcs to break that gate or climb those walls.  His orcs were mighty, but they couldn’t sneak around like a little kobold.  The creature sat quietly while he thought, he knew better than interrupt him while he was thinking.  The Boss knew what he had to do to destroy these interloping midgets, he would have to call on some of the other tribes, and that would cost him.  Not just in plunder, but in favors.

The Boss didn’t like what he had heard but it saved him a week of searching and probably most of his orcs.  He went to the door and called for food, his little spy was cheap, a little meat hear and there and he got reliable information.  He could continue living for now.  An orc came with a brace of rabbits which he throw on the floor in front of the kobold.  Kreener snatched them up and dashed for the door, but was caught by the scruff of his neck.  “Keep an eye on them, I can’t move just yet, but when I feel like it, I will crush them.  I want to know if anything changes.” 

Kreener nodded quickly and dashed when the Boss dropped him.  He didn’t try to hide himself, he was faster than the stupid-orcs, so he just ran.  He was kicked at a couple of times but none landed and he was clear of the stupid-orc camp and free to enjoy his supper.  This was a reward indeed, a brace of rabbits, and all he had to do was slip passed a sleeping stupid-dwarf.  Kreener headed for his briar patch thinking of how he would cook his prize when he heard a great cry of anger and anguish.  A sound that only a dwarf was capable of making, they had discovered his theft and Kreener smiled.

*note*

This is just a little aside to introduce us to the antagonists, but we will get back to our dwarves now.  Let me know if you have any suggestions about plot, characters, or writing.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:22:57 pm »

Nice work... No time to read it, but it looks good  :) You modded these orcs yourself, I presume? Are they just your vanilla orcs, or do I catch a bit of Warhammar? (who aren't that different from vanilla orcs, coming to think on it)

willramius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 04:50:16 pm »

They're vanilla for the most part, but I gave them a little bit more personality, not to mention, a little prudence.