Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 253426 times)

Feldrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update 0.35: Reclaim the Alchemic Mysteries
« Reply #420 on: November 21, 2013, 09:11:28 pm »

Me again. Seems that thief races always arrive on site in stealth mode. Even if they were there for the reasons that would not require it. I just had a group of Squuek merchents arrive at my Shyguy settlement, or at least I think I did. For the most part, it looked like we were trading with a small heard of Moo Moo's and their wagon masters. The Squueks never revealed themselves, even while my trader was talking to the merchant.

Edit:

Oh god, Even better. After they left, I got a ton of announcements saying things like "A thief has stolen X!". The best part? All of the the stuff that was stolen was wares that I did not buy from the merchants. Before they left, the Squuek merchants Stole from themselves! I wonder if this will hurt my civs relation ship with them...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:27:37 pm by Feldrain »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #421 on: November 25, 2013, 03:50:56 pm »

So, just out of curiosity... is anyone else experiencing unescapable, seemingly causeless crashes  occuring a few years into a fort?  Is this a typical problem or do I just have terrible luck?

Feldrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 26, 2013, 08:33:17 am »

I keep getting crashes every time I try to embark on an evil biome and whenever I try to enter a castle in adventure mode. I've yet to experience a crash like that however. Although that might just be because I have not had a fort last more then one or two years at best...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 26, 2013, 09:25:52 am »

Well, the reigonal embark crashes I know about... the problem is that I can't tell what's causing the problem because the site doesn't load.  Finding a pattern would help.  It's tied to specific regions but I don't know what they have in common.

The castle thing...that's new.  I did have problems with crashes while trying to enter a tomb site though.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 30, 2013, 05:26:44 pm »

Next update will have Soundsense support.

Now, does anyone know any good 16-bit Marioesque sound effects for biting, breaking bones, and ripping off limbs?

The Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom flash video series had plenty of those, but I can't figure out where they come from.

blazikeaton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 01, 2013, 12:10:17 am »

I think shyguys should be neutral, like elves, but not caring about any hippy bullshit. Shyguys are fuckin' badasses! They should be tougher, stronger, at least a little.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 01, 2013, 01:03:56 pm »

Now, does anyone know any good 16-bit Marioesque sound effects for biting, breaking bones, and ripping off limbs?

You could try a chomp sound effect and the sound effect of Dry Bones falling apart from Super Mario World for the first two.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2013, 06:23:07 pm »

Yoshi's Island had a bite sound effect for the Piranha Plants that would probably work.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:35 am »

Okay, the next update is nearly ready, but I've really got to figure out this mysterious crash on embark problem, especially since I suspect it to be related to the in-game crashes that happen periodically.  Anyone know what could be causing the problem?

Basically the game sometimes crashes immidiately on embark, right before loading the intro message.  There IS at least one ubiquitous large predator in every biome, so it's not that.

The crashes are tied to the region.  If an embark caused a crash, trying to embark nearby will also fail.

Checking through Legends mode, I have found that areas causing crashes always have either a large predator or a megabeast residing there - except for rare cases where the region doesn't appear in Legends mode at all.

Sometimes there are crashes during a game.  This always happens after building up to a sufficient degree, suggesting that the appearance of a megabeast may be to blame.  However, no particular megabeast seems to be the culprit.

Removing all megabeasts reduces the embark crashes, but they still happen - generally in areas housing a large predator.

Anyone who has experience with this kind of thing have any ideas?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update...need help with crash on embark bug.
« Reply #429 on: December 19, 2013, 03:10:09 pm »

All megabeasts need lairs assigned. Like this: [LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:100].

I encountered crashes with mega and semimegabeasts that have ANY_LAND but no lairs. Maybe it helps.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update...need help with crash on embark bug.
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2013, 05:41:39 pm »

All megabeasts need lairs assigned. Like this: [LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:100].

I encountered crashes with mega and semimegabeasts that have ANY_LAND but no lairs. Maybe it helps.

Hmm...
Well, it looks like some of my megabeasts are missing lairs, but they don't seem to be the ones directly involved in the crashes.  I'll give it a shot though.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - Update 0.36: Soundsense Support and Sorcery
« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2013, 05:36:56 pm »

Well, it's hard to be certain, but after giving the megabeasts lairs, removing some of the weirder ones and taking away a few night creatures, I embarked 10 times in random places and didn't see a single crash...so I guess it's fixed unless I just happened to get really lucky.

Anyway, it's time for another update!

This one adds a new building for Koopas: The Magic Circle.  Magikoopas can now cast 'megaspells': Fire Burst, Ice Storm, and Thunder Rage, all of which will deal heavy blows against all enemies on the map.  They can also pacify angry Koopas by removing their emotions, convert a Koopa into a Dry Bones without the need to waste a potion, and reanimate any fallen Dry Bones.  Only Magikoopas can use these spells, and after using one, that Magikoopa will be unable to use another spell until they regain their strength, which can take from weeks to months depending on the spell used.  So choose your move wisely!

The monster spawning system is now much simpler - purchase large eggs from traders and use the Magic Circle to hatch them into a monster of your choice.  If you wait for over a year, the monster egg will hatch into a random creature by itself.

There is also a simpler - but more dangerous - way of obtaining magic power.  Meddling with the forces of darkness in the Magic Circle will convert a Koopa into a Magikoopa for free... but it will take one year, and during that year, the mage-in-training will become a nexus for evil forces, periodically reanimating corpses as if you embarked in an evil biome.  Toads or Shyguys reclaiming a Koopa fort can also use this method to become Warlocks and utilize the magic circle for themselves.

What else...Oh, yes: Adventurers now have new, exclusive options available, and finally a use for all the coins they can collect from butchered monsters.  Collect 100 coins to create a Power Star, and trade in that star for a temporary power-up of your choice: A Life Shroom (full regeneration), Mega Mushroom, short-term invincibility, or borrow the Star Rod for a superpowerful weapon that will disappear after a short period (hint: it's actually much more effective to just throw the ammo at enemies).  100 coins can take a while to collect, but many monsters drop more coins now.  Bosses always have 100 coins, so you can run the reaction while standing on a megabeast's butchered corpse to make a power star in a single shot.

For those of you who would like some music and sound effects for your game - ROTMK now has its own sound pack for Soundsense!  Since the file is so big, I've placed it in a separate download.  Simply unzip the folder into soundsense/packs and load it through the Soundsense interface.  Note: Depending on your style, you might or might not like the 'hit chime' sound effects included.  Combat sounds very different (more 'cartoony') with them.  You can turn off the hit chimes by disabling the 'hit' folder in the Soundsense menu.

Get it here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8232

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »

Damn, I never played this mod. The changes sound so awesome, but I cant really get behind a Super Mario TC. ^^

The monster spawning system is now much simpler - purchase large eggs from traders and use the Magic Circle to hatch them into a monster of your choice.  If you wait for over a year, the monster egg will hatch into a random creature by itself.
Is the large egg you buy from traders a pet creature?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 22, 2013, 07:21:13 pm »

Damn, I never played this mod. The changes sound so awesome, but I cant really get behind a Super Mario TC. ^^

I suppose I COULD try my hand at making an original content mod, but it would probably end up either too similar to what's already out there, or else lose any sort of cohesion and just wind up being a nearly unplayable collection of random experimental insanity.  It's just the way I tend to work when I'm not given specific project outlines.

I'm not even such a huge fan of the Mario series myself, but the challenge of trying to get such an un-dwarf-fortress-like series to actually work using the DF system seemed like a good way to experiment with just how far the limits of the system could be stretched, while still remaining within the confines of some kind of cohesive universe.  Most of the more interesting discoveries I've made came from trying to fit some weird Mushroom Kingdom denizen into the Dwarf Fortress world, while still behaving in a manner fitting the original source - plant monsters, monsters that swallow other creatures whole, shapeshifting robots, powerful pets that need to be chained up, and so on.  Oh yeah, and Quiz Masters.  Did I mention that this update has Quiz Masters?  'Cause it does.

A series as old as this one naturally has a lot of content to draw from, and the loose canon of the Marioverse means that it can be adapted easily without having to be too concerned about 'accuracy'.  And of course, there's the perk that adaptation works can get some attention right from the start - pulling that off with original works is a lot harder.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 28, 2013, 11:09:52 pm »

Latest version seems to be having a ton of duplicate issues, and crashes when entering the embark screen or adventurer creation. Arena mode and world gen works fine. I dunno if that's just me doing something wrong, or if anyone else is having this problem? I'm pretty sure I'm doing things right. :L

e: I love this mod to death, it's great. <3
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:15:58 pm by DarthBoogalo »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61